Discuss Soon to Be Ex Forces Career Routes to Electrical Jobs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DurhamSparky

So Then….

You’re leaving the forces and need advice what to do….!

So you have decided to become an Electrician and you have seen all them adverts for 50k+ a year and unlimited time off….

(Step 1) Firstly take a deep breath, hold, then relax and continue to do so until you feel up to reading on.

So then what did the Royal Navy (superior than the rest) RAF or the British Army gives you in your service career.

Dig out your file and pile up any certificates with recognised Examination boards on (City and Guilds, BTEC, ILSM, etc.)

Pile up anything with the Logo of the Army, Navy and Air force on. (Chances are they will mean nothing to civilian life but always keep them handy)

From them piles do you have anything directly linkable to a job as an electrician??

I suggest you repeat step 1 above and read this while you are doing it…!

YOU WILL NOT EARN 50k
YOU WILL NOT HAVE LOADS OF TIME OFF
IT’S NOT EASY
IT TAKES TIME TO BECOME CONFIDENT
YOU WILL NOT BE AN ELECTRICAIN FOLLOWING A 6 WEEK COURSE!!!!!!

The courses on offer at training establishments may tell you different but they just want the funding from the MoD…..!

To Become a PAT Tester you need

City and Guilds 2377
Suitable Experience……!!

To Become an Electrical Installer (Domestic) and work self-employed you need

17[SUP]th[/SUP] Edition
Part P Scheme Registration (NIC , Elecsa, Napit etc)
Suitable Experience……!!

To be employed by any employer or have a decent chance of surviving in the electrical industry you need to follow the routes below and chances are you will need to add extra qualifications that are only available via college or long term learning routes. (not training centres)

To Become an Electrician Mate / Adult Learner (Entry Level) you need

17[SUP]th[/SUP] Edition (City and Guilds 2382)
Level 3 Qualification in Electrical Installation (City and Guilds 2330 / 2357) or (BTEC Level 3 Electrical Installations)
Suitable Experience……!!

To Become an Electrician (Average Level) you need

Level 3 Qualification in Electrical Installation (City and Guilds 2330 / 2357) or (BTEC Level 3 Electrical Installations)
Inspection and Testing Qualification (City and Guilds 2392 Level 2 or City and Guilds 2391 level 3)
Suitable Experience……!!

To Become an Electrician (FULLY QUALIFIED) you need

Inspection and Testing Qualification (City and Guilds 2391)
Work Based Assessment NVQ Level 3 (City and Guilds 2356)
Suitable Experience……!!

and finally....!! HOW DO I KNOW THIS??? and why should you listen to me...!

I AM EX ROYAL NAVY :gunsmilie:

Last edited by a moderator:
Naa, still a sailor, you just went 'deeper' with other men as opposed to normal (if that's even a word you can use to describe them) sailors :D :D :D

Haha, sorry buddy, I just couldn't resist :D

I am ex RAF. We had more sense than the RN or the Pongo's. In the Army, the officers send the troops into battle. In the Navy the officers go into battle and take the troops with them. In the RAF the troops send the officers into battle.
Warships are full of thick seamen anyway..........:smoking:

Cheers............Howard

The Queen is inspecting three armed forces personnel, one from each of her fighting forces. She asks each one what they would do if they woke up to a Taliban fighter cutting his way in to their tent on operations?

The soldier says, “I’d reach over, grab my bayonet and stab him to death!”

The sailor says, “I’d reach over, grab my boot and batter him to death!”

The airman says, “I’d reach over, pick up my phone, call reception and ask.......... “Who on earth has put a tent up in my hotel room?!”

Last edited:
The reason the Airforce , Army ,Navy and Marines bicker amongst themselves is that they don't speak the same language.

For instance , take the simple phrase " SECURE THE BUILDING "

The Army will post guards around the place .

The Navy will turn out the lights and lock the doors .

The Marines will kill everybody inside and set up a headquarters .

The Airforce will take out a 5 year lease with an option to buy

Thanks for taking the time to assemble that Steve, however, i have had to remove an establishment name.

Other than that, excellent work!!

Also, can we keep this thread clear for anyone wishing to ask any questions.

Ta lads.

Hi,
i'm in the process of leaving the army at the minute and had also recieved the earlier advice on this page regarding qulifications. so im doing the following
2330 lv2 + lv3
17th edition
and a new one called 2393
after that (when ive got work) i'll continue to do my 2356 and am2.
but at the moment I am getting a little concerned with the current climate as everyone keeps telling me the me the building trade is flat and i've got to start looking for work as an electricians mate/adult trainee soon. so as people already in the industry would you say its really that bad at the minute? also what would you say is probably the better way of going about trying to source work as an electricians mate?

its by far the best option open to you mate. When i left the army i worked as a mate for 3 years before i became fully qualified, but beore that i had already trained as a military electrician in Chatham. There is no substitute for doing the job on site, i dont care what anybody says. the building trade may be a little flat, however engineering is where its at!!

Naa, still a sailor, you just went 'deeper' with other men as opposed to normal (if that's even a word you can use to describe them) sailors :D :D :D

Haha, sorry buddy, I just couldn't resist :D

popped in for my dinner the other day to a high street sarny shop,ordered a 6 inch tuna on white,guy behind counter asks if i would like to upgrade to a 12 inch sub,informed him no sub has ever seen a 12 inch.:38: its all hearsay..

Christianb, how old are you, how long have you served, what regiment are you in, what rank are you now and how many months in total have you spent in sandpit? Sorry for the whole Spanish inquisition thing there :)

Ok, never mind, if you were a rupert or had served a little longer I would have suggested some other rather lucrative career paths to go down. Good luck with everything buddy, and don't forget to gain experience whilst you study if you can! Experience is everything in this game. :)

Reply to Soon to Be Ex Forces Career Routes to Electrical Jobs in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net