Discuss Sound on PC stuttering in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

or could have just switched on hardware acceleration, must have been some software changes,a separate soundcard usually has more features anyway, and the software disk that comes with it sets itself up.....I will guess you were trying to play a DVD when the sound did that....

I've used onboard sound since I spent £120 on a top end sound blaster only for my water loop to spring a small leak 2 days later.
Either the soundcard wasn't laquered well or I had crap luck.
Either way onboard sound for me now all the way.

Water loop, wrong forum, you need the plumbers one.

Hamster croaked it so wheel stopped turning Geordie :tounge_smile:

Not up on ll the PC tech, computer is for tinterweb, choones, email and invoices

its all to do with how the on board DSP (digital signal processor) handles the audio bit stream, if the computer's CPU is not doing some pre-processing with the soundcard taking on the rest then the buffer on the soundcard becomes ineffective and you get dither on the waveform transforms going on within the D/A(Digital to Analogue) component of the Audio driver where the Trellice gets converted into sinusoidal analogue waveforms/signals that go to the preamplifier and on to the output amplifier that gives you your drive signal powering the speakers or headphones....parts of the digital code bitstream basically get lost and the DSP doesnt get them at its input......then you get jittery sound....

when you are playing a video or a DVD/Blu Ray Disk, the computer's CPU will be trying to process large streams of video data if you have on-board graphics as opposed to a separate Graphics card installed on the PCM slot/AGP slot and will be ----ing information back and forward at speed between the Hard Drive and the system RAM.......as well as trying to process the sound component, this can affect the Audio stream going to the sound card or onboard sound "chipset" as well by causing delays in transfer to the D/A converter, if the soundcard hardware acceleration is enabled, a partially processed stream of data is passed on to the soundcard which does the rest and takes load off of the CPU, having a separate Graphics card takes a load of of the main processor as well....the sound problem mainly happens when Video is being played/processed...

when Hardware acceleration is enabled, the data goes straight to the soundcard as a bitstream with parity and control after the computers main CPU(Central processing unit) has worked out(mapped) the Tables and converted to the correct bit rates, compression and loss ratios.....this then gets converted to a ramped Trellice code and then an analogue output signal inside the DSP and the output goes to the amplifier inside/on the soundcard......when hardware acceleration is de activated/turned off, the CPU has to carry out more processing and modifications to the data then pass on more information relating to signal amplitude(voltage) and channel information relating to effects such as 3D Surround, 5.1 multi-speaker etc

DSP= Digital Signal Processor

Buffer= internal High Speed Memory for short term use and dump use of high transfer data, data is usually passed through on a FIFO arrangement (First In First Out)

PCM (Shorthand for PCMCIA)

AGP= Accelarated Graphics Port (has a highet speed Data transfer Rate) mainly used for Graphics cards, sometimes used for very high end soundcards, always used for Gaming Graphics and Video editing Accelarated Graphics cards such as those from Matrox ..

PCMCIA-Personal Computer Memory Card International Association , which is an old name for the interface which goes back to the 1980's , everybody just calls it PCM (which incidentally just out of pure co-incidence incase anybody pipes in, which they will...also stands for Pulse Code Modulation)

PCM- Pulse Code Modulation is a Digital Data stream which is a method used to feed data to Digital to Analogue converters and is also an output from Analogue to Digital converters ...also known as Linear PCM (LPCM)

A/D = Analogue to Digital
D/A = Digital to Analogue (DAC- Digital to Analogue Converter)

Bit Stream - a continuous output of Digital information (Data) as a High/Low 1/0 signal, in Audio Processing this relies on set Data lengths (segments) with control information (continuously changing settings) and Parity bits (Check bits/ error correction bits) arranged in segments of Data words and D_words.....in high end DSP's this is usually stacked a few times and compared for error correction before the information is passed on to the de-interlacing circuit component and converted to trellice and finally Analogue signals...

Trellice= Trellice waveform, this is effectively a compressed ramped digital signal(waveform) like a jaggy sinewave made up of lots of sinewaves comprising of Square waves(Pulses) of differing duration and amplitude with very little duration between them, the rise and fall of these pulses gets interleaved (smoothed off).....the higher the Audio Bit Rate (Eg 1Mb/s) to the soundcard the higher the speed at which the DAC can operate at within its design limits, and the higher the frequency response on the output can be (96Khz Frequency spread is common, 192 on higher end) higher frequency operation and a better Data rate means a better Audio output from the soundcard with less loss....instead of certain frequencies and parts of the Audio being chopped out/removed (referred to as compressed)and the sound quality being lower...better acoustic reproduction is something a lot of people like but most of the general public don't miss because they have not gotten used to it...

Data Terms:

Bit = 1 Bit of Data ( 1 or 0 High or Low....On or Off)

Nibble=4 Bits of Data eg 1010 or 0101 or 1111 or 0000 or 0111 etc (using Two's Compliment these can be assigned output values/voltage levels for a D/A converter)

Byte= 8 bits of Data

Word= 16 Bits

DWord= 32 Bits (Double Word)

QWord= 64 Bits (Quad word)

Kb (KiloByte) is 1024 bits of Data when Dealing with Chip based memory and processer equipment, and is only 1000bits when dealing with Optical storage (DVD BLUray and current generation Hard Disk Drives) this is due to the way in which chip based memory cells (Registers) and logic are constructed/arranged....

Mb ( Megabyte) is either 1000Kb or 1024Kb .....again this is either 1 million Bytes or 1 million and 24 thousand bytes..
Giga Byte is 1000 Mega Bytes....

MB= Megabit (MB/S - Megabits per second) 1 Megabit = 1 Million Bits when referred to in terms of data transfer..

TB = Terra Byte is one million Mega bytes ( 1,000 GigaBytes)

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
its all to do with how the on board DSP (digital signal processor) handles the audio bit stream, if the computer's CPU is not doing some pre-processing with the soundcard taking on the rest then the buffer on the soundcard becomes ineffective and you get dither on the waveform transforms going on within the D/A(Digital to Analogue) component of the Audio driver where the Trellice gets converted into sinusoidal analogue waveforms/signals that go to the preamplifier and on to the output amplifier that gives you your drive signal powering the speakers or headphones....parts of the digital code bitstream basically get lost and the DSP doesnt get them at its input......then you get jittery sound....

when you are playing a video or a DVD/Blu Ray Disk, the computer's CPU will be trying to process large streams of video data if you have on-board graphics as opposed to a separate Graphics card installed on the PCM slot/AGP slot and will be ----ing information back and forward at speed between the Hard Drive and the system RAM.......as well as trying to process the sound component, this can affect the Audio stream going to the sound card or onboard sound "chipset" as well by causing delays in transfer to the D/A converter, if the soundcard hardware acceleration is enabled, a partially processed stream of data is passed on to the soundcard which does the rest and takes load off of the CPU, having a separate Graphics card takes a load of of the main processor as well....the sound problem mainly happens when Video is being played/processed...

when Hardware acceleration is enabled, the data goes straight to the soundcard as a bitstream with parity and control after the computers main CPU(Central processing unit) has worked out(mapped) the Tables and converted to the correct bit rates, compression and loss ratios.....this then gets converted to a ramped Trellice code and then an analogue output signal inside the DSP and the output goes to the amplifier inside/on the soundcard......when hardware acceleration is de activated/turned off, the CPU has to carry out more processing and modifications to the data then pass on more information relating to signal amplitude(voltage) and channel information relating to effects such as 3D Surround, 5.1 multi-speaker etc

DSP= Digital Signal Processor

Buffer= internal High Speed Memory for short term use and dump use of high transfer data, data is usually passed through on a FIFO arrangement (First In First Out)

PCM (Shorthand for PCMCIA)

AGP= Accelarated Graphics Port (has a highet speed Data transfer Rate) mainly used for Graphics cards, sometimes used for very high end soundcards, always used for Gaming Graphics and Video editing Accelarated Graphics cards such as those from Matrox ..

PCMCIA-Personal Computer Memory Card International Association , which is an old name for the interface which goes back to the 1980's , everybody just calls it PCM (which incidentally just out of pure co-incidence incase anybody pipes in, which they will...also stands for Pulse Code Modulation)

PCM- Pulse Code Modulation is a Digital Data stream which is a method used to feed data to Digital to Analogue converters and is also an output from Analogue to Digital converters ...also known as Linear PCM (LPCM)

A/D = Analogue to Digital
D/A = Digital to Analogue (DAC- Digital to Analogue Converter)

Bit Stream - a continuous output of Digital information (Data) as a High/Low 1/0 signal, in Audio Processing this relies on set Data lengths (segments) with control information (continuously changing settings) and Parity bits (Check bits/ error correction bits) arranged in segments of Data words and D_words.....in high end DSP's this is usually stacked a few times and compared for error correction before the information is passed on to the de-interlacing circuit component and converted to trellice and finally Analogue signals...

Trellice= Trellice waveform, this is effectively a compressed ramped digital signal(waveform) like a jaggy sinewave made up of lots of sinewaves comprising of Square waves(Pulses) of differing duration and amplitude with very little duration between them, the rise and fall of these pulses gets interleaved (smoothed off).....the higher the Audio Bit Rate (Eg 1Mb/s) to the soundcard the higher the speed at which the DAC can operate at within its design limits, and the higher the frequency response on the output can be (96Khz Frequency spread is common, 192 on higher end) higher frequency operation and a better Data rate means a better Audio output from the soundcard with less loss....instead of certain frequencies and parts of the Audio being chopped out/removed (referred to as compressed)and the sound quality being lower...better acoustic reproduction is something a lot of people like but most of the general public don't miss because they have not gotten used to it...

Data Terms:

Bit = 1 Bit of Data ( 1 or 0 High or Low....On or Off)

Nibble=4 Bits of Data eg 1010 or 0101 or 1111 or 0000 or 0111 etc (using Two's Compliment these can be assigned output values/voltage levels for a D/A converter)

Byte= 8 bits of Data

Word= 16 Bits

DWord= 32 Bits (Double Word)

QWord= 64 Bits (Quad word)

Kb (KiloByte) is 1024 bits of Data when Dealing with Chip based memory and processer equipment, and is only 1000bits when dealing with Optical storage (DVD BLUray and current generation Hard Disk Drives) this is due to the way in which chip based memory cells (Registers) and logic are constructed/arranged....

Mb ( Megabyte) is either 1000Kb or 1024Kb .....again this is either 1 million Bytes or 1 million and 24 thousand bytes..
Giga Byte is 1000 Mega Bytes....

MB= Megabit (MB/S - Megabits per second) 1 Megabit = 1 Million Bits when referred to in terms of data transfer..

TB = Terra Byte is one million Mega bytes ( 1,000 GigaBytes)

- - - Updated - - -

Are you related to Markie Sparkie by any chance?? :snore:...........:joker:

I don't like how those Sales internet Links are being added to my posts and skimming off the back of my expertise to sell things, I don't endorse them and I never put the Advertising links on there......WTF .....if I suggest somewhere random to buy something hard to find for a fellow spark to look at when they ask me where to look for something then I get beasted for it but if some random advertising company wants to USE ME then that seems to be OK IS IT?

I OBJECT TO LINKS BEING ADDED FORCIBLY TO MY POSTS

I don't like how those Sales internet Links are being added to my posts and skimming off the back of my expertise to sell things, I don't endorse them and I never put the Advertising links on there......WTF .....if I suggest somewhere random to buy something hard to find for a fellow spark to look at when they ask me where to look for something then I get beasted for it but if some random advertising company wants to USE ME then that seems to be OK IS IT?

What links where??

What are you babbling about ?? :eek:mg_smile::confused5:

Hi Grant, please be calm. Click on 'Settings' at the top of the page. On the left hand side under 'My Account' click on 'General Settings'. Scroll to the bottom of the page and the last item is a tick-box for something called 'Skim Links'. It's an advertising gadget that helps pay the rent but you can switch it off by unticking the box if it's annoying you.

Any problems give me a shout. Please note the navigation to it may be different if you're using the mobile board skin.

hh-as th-ee comp--uttterrr st0--pppppedd stttuttt-errringgg????

Reply to Sound on PC stuttering in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net