Discuss South Wales Electrical Training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

-
Reaction score
Did my 18th Edition and Level 3 Combined Inspection & Testing with these guys.

I cannot praise this training provider highly enough. They were fantastic to train with. Their Instructors are first rate, they are helpful beyond belief, and are always able to give you the correct answer. I also understand that Phil the owner is on a Committee associated with BS7671.

The atmosphere was really great and the Instructors developed an excellent rapport with everyone in the class so that we were able to ask any sort of question without feeling foolish. When anyone had a specific issue understanding something the Instructors always went out of their way to help and spent extra time with those guys to help them to understand. We were also told that we could call at any time with a query and they would be delighted to help, which I feel is a really kind gesture.

Part of my Level 3 training was disrupted owing to a bereavement and SWET could not have been more helpful, allowing me to delay the remainder and letting me sit in on a later course to refresh. Immense thanks to Phil and Toni who went out of their way, and well beyond what could reasonably have been expected, to help.

Unfortunately because of time constraints I had to do basic electrical (which really I did not need but was part of a package) and Part P with a different training company - which was a nightmare.

All of their equipment is in first class condition, and fully functioning, and components used for training are changed when needed so you are always working with nuts and bolts which are in good condition and make sure you have good secure connections.

I can thoroughly recommend SWET if you are in Wales, their training centre is in Pyle near Bridgend but they do travel. They are fantastic value for money, oh and by the way they provide food at lunchtime !

In fairness to some of these training sheds, some are good, others are out right fleecing people. I tall comes down to expectations and doing research. people might not like the short route options but its there so if you are going down that route choose your training centre carefully.

General impression I got was that it is difficult to get good and experienced training staff. In addition to that, the teachers I had were clearly at loggerheads with the management and caught between students who were slowly coming to the realisation that they had spent a fortune on course that at the end of which they thought they’d be qualified electricians. It said it all really when teachers were having arguments with management over use of the photocopier.

It sounds like you and I went to the same place. Everyone on the course believed that by doing the BE and Part P they could immediately go out and work. Everyone argued with me about the need for L3 Inspection & Testing until finally the Instructor told them that yes they would need it. There was debate as to whether or not people could do an installation in their own house. The answer given was yes but you cannot inspect work done on anyone else's house.

Everyone on the course had been told that BE and Part P was ALL that was required, something that the Instructors were adamant on. The elephant in the room is Inspection & Testing. which only gets mentioned towards the end of the two weeks, at which stage trainees are told that they will need to do this, oh and the 18th and of course you should really do a proper installation course.

Now hang on said I the BE was packaged as a sort of installation course ? Apparently (and from experience definitely not) "Sales" are responsible for making these various and inaccurate promises - nothing to do with the Instructors so it seems.

Insisting on a complete clarity of all the courses and steps and exams necessary to reach the academic Standard made me somewhat unpopular, especially as the class were horrified/angry at suddenly finding that there were additional hurdles of the order of ÂŁ2k further to pass over in order to even come close to being Registered.

There was also a large amount of surprise and indeed shock at the cost of tools and equipment, and the need for calibration which no-one had considered. Some people were in no way be able to afford to buy an MFT as all their available funds had been spent on BE and Part P. Others had taken time off work - some unpaid - and would not be able to take any further time off to complete the whole series of next steps. You can imagine the morale and attitude of the class at the end of the second week as the fact they had in effect "wasted" a substantial sum of money. At least one guy had borrowed the course fees on the understanding that he would be able to earn from week 3 onwards.

Course fees was another thing, with various people having paid far different amounts depending upon when the had booked and whom they had spoken to.

I did write a post on this Forum about how such a seemingly simple process is muddied and complicated beyond sense to a point where frankly it appears that most people do NOT fully understand what is actually needed - least of all some of the Instructors.

Had I not done some training with South Wales Electrical Training first, I would have been as uninformed as the rest of the class. I knew all of these things would be needed. It made my life a little awkward as I was always the one who seemed to be putting up additional obstacles at various stages which stopped people from going straight out to work.

It sounds like you and I went to the same place. Everyone on the course believed that by doing the BE and Part P they could immediately go out and work. Everyone argued with me about the need for L3 Inspection & Testing until finally the Instructor told them that yes they would need it. There was debate as to whether or not people could do an installation in their own house. The answer given was yes but you cannot inspect work done on anyone else's house.

Everyone on the course had been told that BE and Part P was ALL that was required, something that the Instructors were adamant on. The elephant in the room is Inspection & Testing. which only gets mentioned towards the end of the two weeks, at which stage trainees are told that they will need to do this, oh and the 18th and of course you should really do a proper installation course.

Now hang on said I the BE was packaged as a sort of installation course ? Apparently (and from experience definitely not) "Sales" are responsible for making these various and inaccurate promises - nothing to do with the Instructors so it seems.

Insisting on a complete clarity of all the courses and steps and exams necessary to reach the academic Standard made me somewhat unpopular, especially as the class were horrified/angry at suddenly finding that there were additional hurdles of the order of ÂŁ2k further to pass over in order to even come close to being Registered.

There was also a large amount of surprise and indeed shock at the cost of tools and equipment, and the need for calibration which no-one had considered. Some people were in no way be able to afford to buy an MFT as all their available funds had been spent on BE and Part P. Others had taken time off work - some unpaid - and would not be able to take any further time off to complete the whole series of next steps. You can imagine the morale and attitude of the class at the end of the second week as the fact they had in effect "wasted" a substantial sum of money. At least one guy had borrowed the course fees on the understanding that he would be able to earn from week 3 onwards.

Course fees was another thing, with various people having paid far different amounts depending upon when the had booked and whom they had spoken to.

I did write a post on this Forum about how such a seemingly simple process is muddied and complicated beyond sense to a point where frankly it appears that most people do NOT fully understand what is actually needed - least of all some of the Instructors.

Had I not done some training with South Wales Electrical Training first, I would have been as uninformed as the rest of the class. I knew all of these things would be needed. It made my life a little awkward as I was always the one who seemed to be putting up additional obstacles at various stages which stopped people from going straight out to work.
Judging from what you have experienced, it just goes to show that The CPSchemes aren't the only scams in the electrical industry.
Something I have believed for a long time, the training establishments especially Sales side in most instances are duping people into signing up to these quick fix courses, and not outlining the end product and what it allows you to do, it sounds as though you have had a rough deal Mate, who is to blame? well you tell me, the scams for one then the training people, let's not beat about the bush, providing training, is not top of the agenda, lining the pockets of CEOs of these training establishments, with perhaps gullible is the wrong term, misinformed people fits the bill better, I hasten to add not all are bad there are some good ones about, Certsure get your act together.

Must admit that I feel like some of the examination boards like C&G do not police the training providers they authorise to teach and examine.

Must admit that I feel like some of the examination boards like C&G do not police the training providers they authorise to teach and examine.
They actually do Alan, whilst doing my training, on two occasions I was asked to provide my work for the C+G auditor that visited the college. Nice that they chose mine to audit which meant I was getting on and worthy to show off.
The colleges have to jump through a number of hoops to remain authorised which I think is good. Some colleges obviously are in turmoil but that will usually be internal burocracy or just plain greed. Shame because it is the students that suffer.

If anyone on these courses looked at Electrician job vacancies and what quals they require, would soon know what they were getting was sub par. Also NICEIC and NAPIT etc state requirements. All out there on the net. Say if I was embarking on something new, I would find out as much a possible beforehand and not just rely on a salesperson with an agenda to sell courses.

Reply to South Wales Electrical Training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock