Discuss Spur and lighting cct off a FCU protected spur? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete E

-
DIY
Reaction score
I am looking to install power and light into what was a "coal house" that is going to be used to hold a small domestic chest freezer.

The room itself is part of the fabric of the house, but is only accessible by an external door. The wiring run will be direct through the kitchen wall into the room itself ie no external wiring.

I have not looked at the existing wiring in detail yet, but it looks like there is a double socket (as part of the ringmain) with switched FCU protected spur leading to a socket below the kitchen work top that is for the washing machine.

Given this spur has an FCU already, can I simply run anotherspur off this socket into the coal house and fit a standard double socket with another FCU and a “spur”to feed a light?

I would use 2.5mm T&E for the power socket (less than a10 foot run) and then 1mm beyond the new FCU for the lighting part. I would then down rate the fuse in this light FCU to 3amp?

Would this be ok?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Last edited:
come from the switched side of the existing FCU in the kitchen into your outhouse socket outlet, then int a 3A FCU for the light. sssssimplessss.

Last edited:
Is the kitchen ring circuit protected with a RCD

May be not a good idea to come of the switched side of the FCU because if the switched is turned off by accident the chest freezer will be turn off , I would go will Tel's method

May be not a good idea to come of the switched side of the FCU because if the switched is turned off by accident the chest freezer will be turn off , I would go will Tel's method

Thanks never thought of that aspect, but if I come off the switched side, it does risk the freezer being turned off..I might change the FCU to a non switched version.

If I do that, is there any reason I can't come offthe back of the socket below the worktop as it would be a better job far as the actual cabling goes..

Last edited:
Any new socket you fit will have to be RCD protected < I miss Red Tels post , Your best not coming of the switched side of the spur as said you could accidently turn it of so I would come off Live side of FCU ( or any were else on the ring) to a 13 amp Unswitched FCU to supply a RCD socket then to a switched FCU with a 3 amp fuse to operate the light, as long as no off the cables are berried in the wall you will not have to fit RCD protection for the cabling

Thanks for that, I think I've got it straight in my head now! Step daughter is moving house and this is one of several jobs I seem to have been "allocated" lol

If there is no RCD protecting the RFC why not just connect the freezer directly into a cable-entry SFCU rather than use a socket? Be better as far as the freezer is concerned anyway.

If there is no RCD protecting the RFC why not just connect the freezer directly into a cable-entry SFCU rather than use a socket? Be better as far as the freezer is concerned anyway.

I don't like this idea. When the freezer needs replacing it's a sparky job. Daz

Well the chap that is doing it ain't so whats the difference??

I think DPG is saying that if the OP does go along the route of a cable entry SFCU then he will get called out if the freezer needs replacing. Better to go with a socket.

Given step daughters record with freezer being left uplugged , switched off, the lid left up, or a combination of these, the more fool proof the installation, the better!

As long as its installed correctly and the freezer is not faulty then there should be no reason for the RCD to trip , My freezer is protected by and RCD as it I the socket circuit on the RCD side of my 16th addition board and never had a problem for the last 15 years ,In this case That fact that its an RCD socket will help as the only thing that's going to trip out the RCD is The freezer if it developes a fault and there for possible save the life of the person in using it. :)

As long as its installed correctly and the freezer is not faulty then there should be no reason for the RCD to trip , My freezer is protected by and RCD as it I the socket circuit on the RCD side of my 16th addition board and never had a problem for the last 15 years ,In this case That fact that its an RCD socket will help as the only thing that's going to trip out the RCD is The freezer if it developes a fault and there for possible save the life of the person in using it. :)
not if he falls in it and the lid shuts, knocking him unconscious and unable to get out before freezing to death. :ciappa:

Reply to Spur and lighting cct off a FCU protected spur? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net