Discuss Still up to their old tricks ...... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Background .. my sis has just rented her old house out and she has a contract with whitegates to ensure all is ok and working before new tenants come in..well it was found the bath taps had seized up and as part of her contract with whitegates they get out a plumber in such cases for free.. but it is only in the sense of repairing leaks or reporting the issue that needs addressing... well i live over the road and the plumbing/drain company in a recognisable illuminous orange van turned up ...this was all free with her contract, he quickly identified the issue the taps had corroded with one been siezed and the other low flow rate to bbot..so far so good...

Then he calls me over as i was calling the shots for my sister and said thats as far as his callout can go and the actual parts and repairs if needed would be subject to charge to my sister so i said ok we need two new bath taps then is that all...yes and that will sort the issue out, i have no issue with is diagnosis as what he found was correct and indeed replacement taps needed so i said if you do the repair can you give me a quote for the work and ill contact y sister to confirm...

...'about £200 mate!'

I said you what £200 quid when you already on site and callout payed for with the contract we had, i said its 2 bath taps to replace so where's the charge ... he said nothing he can do he's told what to charge for his time and materials...
so i said with all due respect its a big NO! ill go to local plumbing yard pick a set up and fit them myself ....oh! ok then please sign here for the callout and he went pretty sharpish..

£15 quid for 2 taps and 30mins to fit i prchased them from a shop 500yrds up the road now at that tim and materials i would be ripping my sis off if i charged £50 quid never mind £200.

I wont mention the company by name but they arrived in a big illuminous orange van and do drainage, plumbing etc callouts and emergency responses...oh! and they were on watchdog the other year regarding their money grabbing tactics and time wasting on site to make extra money..... same old same old not supprised some elderly get ripped off at them rates which i estimate at between £180 and £300 quid an hour judging from my time to do the job with parts included.

I do work for a couple of letting agents who use me as I am not VAT registered so its cheaper for landlord although some letting agents take a 10%-15% charge off the trademans bill but these big national companies with lovely vans men kitted out in nice uniforms and ripping the customer off all the time like the spark on watchdog who charged an old lady £350 for changing a pendant due to a broken connection on the lampholder.

Just talked to sis and got it wrong the said company are sub'd in from her British Gas contract she has it not the letting agency although they have failed in what she pays them for...

We just read the contract and it states mechanical failure parts will be replaced within the contract and plumber told me the tap couldn't be repaired as it had seized up..now to me thats mechanical failure ...

british gas don't exactly sub to the orange van men. they own them.

Well that explains alot when i verbally testiculate them over the phone ill ask what exactly does the breakdown cover do if all they do is say your taps seized and its £200 to replace it... or was he just of the plane from Dubai and had a copple of gold plated ones from the hotel.

Well that explains alot when i verbally testiculate them over the phone ill ask what exactly does the breakdown cover do if all they do is say your taps seized and its £200 to replace it... or was he just of the plane from Dubai and had a copple of gold plated ones from the hotel.

This story epitimises what is wrong with Britain for me. It's all about the big boys making vast profits, whatever the cost may be to the general public. Makes me sick tbh.

Reply to Still up to their old tricks ...... in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net