Discuss sub main started. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
new sub as existing 3phase board is full. this is the job that glenn's with me on. just got the first 3 single phase circuits in. waiting for location of 3 phase supply before getting cable in.

DSC_0051.jpg

SWA has a 3rd core for cpc as well as the gland earthing to the steel cab. why a banjo in a steel enclosure?

SWA has a 3rd core for cpc as well as the gland earthing to the steel cab. why a banjo in a steel enclosure?

Because the steel you have drilled should not be relied on for an earthing solution(note in your set-up its a gland plate thus relies on self tappers as a fault path) the regs state a separate tail to be used, this is regardless of having a separate earth you still have to have an effective earthing of the SWA even if you have an additional core.

Because the steel you have drilled should not be relied on for an earthing solution(note in your set-up its a gland plate thus relies on self tappers as a fault path) the regs state a separate tail to be used, this is regardless of having a separate earth you still have to have an effective earthing of the SWA even if you have an additional core.

OK, grant you that point. but only because the top plate is self-tapped into the main cabinet. but suppose that the next gland in has a banjo with fly lead. that would ensure a good earthing to the gland plate without banjo-ing all glands?

If you relied on SWA for earthing then you would require the separate tail, if you are just effectively earthing the SWA but have a separate core for earth then you can in certain set-up negate the need to tail but regardless here your set-up needs tailing due to been a gland plate and even if you went into the solid construct of the cabinet you have to remember to remove all the paint ensure full contact all around the gland and/or banjo if used and preserve after with an anti - rust coat.... TBH it quicker to tail and simpler as you ensure good continuity without question.

Sorry wasn't trying to trip you up Tel ... just a friendly nudge to always tail as good practice even when not required. An example of a scenario where no tail needed or banjo would be 2 swa's into a galv through box and the solid threaded cast 1 piece construct ensure good earthing between the 2 cables.

i see what you mean. i usually fit banjos and a tais as standard, just thought this job would not require, as armour is not used as cpc. paint has been removed,no need for rust prevention as it's in a dry environment. but will just bung in banjos and tails when back there wednesday. thanks for the heads up. been doing too much domestic lately.

i see what you mean. i usually fit banjos and a tais as standard, just thought this job would not require, as armour is not used as cpc. paint has been removed,no need for rust prevention as it's in a dry environment. but will just bung in banjos and tails when back there wednesday. thanks for the heads up. been doing too much domestic lately.

Send a pick after I want proof lol ;)

OK ...i`m just going to come in at this point Dark..

Tel did mention about sticking a fly lead on them armoureds i glanded off into that panel....i said no...on the basis that its a steel enclosure....

so if theres any contravention here then i will stand and take fire for it....

Consider yourself Dismissed :grin:

Stick an link bar in Tel sorted.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Re the galv thru box I've been picked up on several occasions as I didn't banjo and connect with a fly lead, I've only ever seen it done on these 2 occasions, but have seen it on several older installations,
personally I think it is unnecessary I know the one guy had spent a lot of time underground and the other instance was where the company was from South Wales leading me to believe its a practice stemming from mining, is this the case??

This is why for the extra cost on these kind of installs, I bung in a length of 4" trunking, 2" bushed and earthed. Then I gland all my SWA's in, bolt through the banjo but no tail required.

usebusyp.jpg

Why fit a banjo when glanding onto galvanised trunking?

Personally I use earth nuts these days as they make good reliable contact whether it's bare metal or painted. I only connect a flylead with insulated enclosures or if I have any reason to doubt the earthing of the metal I'm glanding in to.
Gland plates I will run a flylead to the gland plate and sometimes replace it with a brass plate if I have a lot to make off to it.

Do you earth the armouring at both ends? I was told that you should because if you didnt and the unearthed end was terminated into an enclosure with other earths there could be a risk that they could be at a different potential.

Do you earth the armouring at both ends? I was told that you should because if you didnt and the unearthed end was terminated into an enclosure with other earths there could be a risk that they could be at a different potential.
R2 on each would confirm any chances of differing potentials appearing...

OK ...i`m just going to come in at this point Dark..

Tel did mention about sticking a fly lead on them armoureds i glanded off into that panel....i said no...on the basis that its a steel enclosure....

so if theres any contravention here then i will stand and take fire for it....

It was only brought up because its a gland plate Glen and not the main solid steel enclosure so would require a tail earth regardless of the separate core, don't get me wrong there was no intent to sound like I was taking a pot shot at his work but that aside I admire your honesty :grin:

It was only brought up because its a gland plate Glen and not the main solid steel enclosure so would require a tail earth regardless of the separate core, don't get me wrong there was no intent to sound like I was taking a pot shot at his work but that aside I admire your honesty :grin:
no i know that.

and yes...i should`v known better than to rely on a few self tappers for R2 on the armourings...

the reason i came in at that point was that i wanted to emphasize that it was me that made the decision to go without banjo & flying lead....

not Tel.

Reply to sub main started. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net