Discuss Supply cable and switch gear in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A gentleman never tells :oops::oops::oops::oops:

My van could do with a new gearbox. Reckon I'll save some money by buying the box myself. Think I'll join a mechanics forum and ask them which box I need. I'll not be telling them the type of van, year of manufacture, number of gears, or who will be fitting it.

I'll be most annoyed if they don't comply with my request immediately and exactly as I imagine.

Did you read the OP ?

70m duct

100m duct

and draw tape - thats a tad optimistic IMHO
I don't know why you're always down on me like a ton of bricks. Maybe i come across wrongly or i am breaking some roles on here, feel free to point me at which ones.
As it is, it seems I'm the only one giving any constructive suggestions to the op, so why not give yours instead of attacking my suggestion and myself?

I don't know why you're always down on me like a ton of bricks. Maybe i come across wrongly or i am breaking some roles on here, feel free to point me at which ones.
As it is, it seems I'm the only one giving any constructive suggestions to the op, so why not give yours instead of attacking my suggestion and myself?

Have you ever tried to pull a cable through a 70 meter duct ??

without mechanical assistance this maybe impossible.

Have you ever tried to pull a cable through a 70 meter duct ??

without mechanical assistance this maybe impossible.
Ok i have learnt something new, so thanks, but why not provide your feedback in such a way that it helps the op as well. Suggest a maximum run length and maybe the op can do it via a couple of pits. We're all people here and if i am coming across rudely please let me know as i am in no way intending that. Typing on mobile necessitates brevity so that could easily give a wrong impression.i would like to help others and I'm genuinely interested in what people go through.

The reason we often neglect or decline to give information is because we have experience in the situations involved and are aware of the massive amount of variables that could influence any advice.

I get a lot of customers ask me to quote over the phone. I decline every time favouring a site visit to fully assess the situation first hand as my experience tells me that any promises made at distance could end up in broken promises or opened cans of worms.

You have given some advice but not mentioned all of the things that need to be considered. This could end up being counter productive, and in the cases of a lot of advice concerning electrical work, dangerous.

Sometimes the less said, the better.

Don't take things so personally. This is a site for debate and that's what's going on. You are not coming across as rude and people disagreeing with you are not making personal attacks on you, just disagreeing with you.

@Telgee there are too many variables for anyone to give you the answers you require, If you really want to help a friend then tell them to get 2-3 quotes from local reputable Electricians and they will provide your friend with a design and a price. Re- the forum, yes it is a place for advice but more in the manner of fellow Electricians bouncing ideas off of each other, not advising a diyer on how to do a job they haven't seen.
Finally I see another staff member as deleted a couple of your replies and with good reason, If you return can you try and keep any future replies civil, I have read nothing from the other members that warranted your
My van could do with a new gearbox. Reckon I'll save some money by buying the box myself. Think I'll join a mechanics forum and ask them which box I need. I'll not be telling them the type of van, year of manufacture, number of gears, or who will be fitting it.

I'll be most annoyed if they don't comply with my request immediately and exactly as I imagine.

Funny guy ...... using a gearbox as an example is not the same situation it’s dropping in a couple of cables while trenches are open... ...as not being a qualified electrician I didn’t realise there was so many variables in cables that could be run ?? And as most things in life it all equates back to mathematics in some shape or form ...
so for the car port the load for 3 charges is 22kw each or 66kw total So reading what I have does that equate to roughly each charger 10 amp for 240v supply and less for 400v supply ?? Swa?? What size ?? How many cables that can be buried in the dirt carry that over a 70m distance with the voltage drop included ?? Will the earth be suffice if 3 core swa and one of the cores be used or does it need to be run seperately or use earth rod ??

Ok i have learnt something new, so thanks, but why not provide your feedback in such a way that it helps the op as well. Suggest a maximum run length and maybe the op can do it via a couple of pits. We're all people here and if i am coming across rudely please let me know as i am in no way intending that. Typing on mobile necessitates brevity so that could easily give a wrong impression.i would like to help others and I'm genuinely interested in what people go through.

Keep reading you will learns lots of things that are new to you, It is clear your experience is very limited at the moment.

I think what you are getting from the replies is that it's just not feasible to expect to be able to save a few grand on this project by getting information from the internet. If you can save money then we all want to do that but sometimes you just have to dig in your pocket and pay up.

This is text mate. It's hard to interpret them correctly all the time...
I just imagine the person sending the text running through a field of flowers just wearing a mankini..... It's surprising how posts then come across a lot more fun and less offensive...

Last edited:
so for the car port the load for 3 charges is 22kw each or 66kw total So reading what I have does that equate to roughly each charger 10 amp for 240v supply and less for 400v supply ?? Swa?? What size ?? How many cables that can be buried in the dirt carry that over a 70m distance with the voltage drop included ?? Will the earth be suffice if 3 core swa and one of the cores be used or does it need to be run seperately or use earth rod ??

These are the things that need to be designed and answered by the electrician you employ. We could tell you all sorts then someone turn up to do the job and tell you it's all wrong and to start again.

What I will say is that having 3 x 22kW charging stations the first thing that needs to be assessed are the potential loading calulations.

I get the feeling the friend he is asking on behalf of might be him, when there is an opportunity to save money then why not, but this requires professional help
You are more than likely correct in your assumption Matt, annoying isn't it, if he want's help fess up and come clean. No harm in doing just that.

He's no friend of mine Matthew

download (4).jpg

Reply to Supply cable and switch gear in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net