Discuss Supply for building site cabins - a few questions! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Thanks for that chaps, that has certainly helped! It was the customer who told me that the supply would be TNCS, and it will be in by midweek so i will know for sure by then. I was only asked to quote for the job yesterday and had no time to contact the supplier!

Sorry if the questions seemed daft, but i would rather do the job right and agree with the principle - ' if you are not sure - just ask! '

Thanks for that chaps, that has certainly helped! It was the customer who told me that the supply would be TNCS, and it will be in by midweek so i will know for sure by then. I was only asked to quote for the job yesterday and had no time to contact the supplier!

Sorry if the questions seemed daft, but i would rather do the job right and agree with the principle - ' if you are not sure - just ask! '

The only stupid question is the one that you dont ask!

Im gonny start usin that my usual one is theres no such thing as stupid questions BTW I know its "bad practice !!!" but on sites especialy I put tenby clips round the swa incase the armour get hauled out by nuggats on site moving cables around ect n BTW mind in your quote to include reconendations on testing 3monthly

wouldn't use tnc s
turn to tt system at meter not at cabins.

Ahhh i see what your saying, dont think its going to be possible as he will have to find more space in a already cramped encloseure and and try and cet the cost of a further RCD out of what already sounds like a Skin flint!

But all the same, yes i see another perfectly acceptable way of doing it

wouldn't use tnc s
turn to tt system at meter not at cabins.

Even if you TT at the incoming why would you want to fit a 100mA S type up front RCD to protect the armoured sub mains? The boards in the cabins protect all the final circuits with a main 30mA one.

Plus as you will have the problem of where your MET will be. As your runing 2 sub mains your MET will have to be at the origin of the installation and so at the head. Which means you either have to use a combined CPC/Bonding conductor in the SWA and may need a larger cable or run bonding conductors back to the MET from the cabins.

I would TNC-S the SWA and then local fit rods.

Agree with malcome on this one going to add, depending on the length of cable and ground type soil clay sand , if you TT at the supply you may not be able to get the required Ze <200 ohms , so tncs to each cabin and earth rod each cabin from the CDU in each cabin not combining the two i add Earth TNCS TT.

Even if you TT at the incoming why would you want to fit a 100mA S type up front RCD to protect the armoured sub mains? The boards in the cabins protect all the final circuits with a main 30mA one.

Plus as you will have the problem of where your MET will be. As your runing 2 sub mains your MET will have to be at the origin of the installation and so at the head. Which means you either have to use a combined CPC/Bonding conductor in the SWA and may need a larger cable or run bonding conductors back to the MET from the cabins.

I would TNC-S the SWA and then local fit rods.
For TT system all circuit must be protected with rcd.
I should have said at the distributor meter position.(or cutout service head ,met,meter)
csa of swa should be big enough for main bonds can check if you want .
The are many ways of doing the job I am just saying
the way I would install it .

For TT system all circuit must be protected with rcd.
I should have said at the distributor meter position.(or cutout service head ,met,meter)
csa of swa should be big enough for main bonds can check if you want .
The are many ways of doing the job I am just saying
the way I would install it .

Regulation please ..............because I would use 411.5.2 that tells me that not all circuits require RCD protection.

We then go to reg 704.411.3.2.1 and that will depend how the termination is done if in a socket and not exceeding 32amps then there is no need for a 500mA RCD protection.

I agree that in some cases you can't adhere to the regs in section 411.3.2..........etc then additional protection by RCD can be achieved, but a blanket RCD is not required, as it can also be achieved by supplementary equipotential bonding.

I'm not sure I would use the SWA as a bonding conductor as that as to go back direct to the MET, I would use a SWA for a CPC though. But why have all this extra calculations and work when TT at the cabins is so much easier.

This thread just gets better, round in circles we go!
This is why I invoice my design and only after a site visit!

kmcgold is now proposing to use the TN-C-S earth and main protective bonding to a steel cabin on a construction site!

Agree with malcome , if you are using the SWA as the cpc then the cable is protected , rod at the cabins and RCD the circuits ,every site cabin ive installed has a board with a main switch RCD ,so the TT is covered the only reason i would install a 100ma rcd would be if the cable is at greater risk of damage due to external influences ,

Last edited by a moderator:
kmcgold is now proposing to use the TN-C-S earth and main protective bonding to a steel cabin on a construction site!
iq electrical when did i say that!

I have never come across a ze reading low enough to operate a mcb on a tt system never mind the zs reading
csa sw can be used for bonding and third core for cpc
4mm swa has 21mm csa of steel wire armour

i would use a tt system not a tncs

just the way i would do it
the are many ways of doing it.

I have never come across a ze reading low enough to operate a mcb on a tt system never mind the zs reading
csa sw can be used for bonding and third core for cpc
4mm swa has 21mm csa of steel wire armour

i would use a tt system not a tncs

just the way i would do it
the are many ways of doing it.

thats why you use and RCD the max Ze reading on a TT system is <200 ohms the max Zs reading is 1667 ohms using a 30ma RCD
it can be reached quite easily read reg 411.5 of the regs it gives you all the readings there

Last edited by a moderator:
Never det with these types of cabins before, but if they are coming with their own CU in the cabin with a RCD main switch, wouldnt it be practical to have the bonding already installed in the cabin?
If they are always to be classed as a "temp structure" than wouldn't the same regulations apply?

Reply to Supply for building site cabins - a few questions! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net