Discuss Surge protection for blown light bulbs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Wasn't sure if it was a case of fingers typing faster than the brain was thinking.

Yeah... spot on. For 'earth' substitute 'neutral'! I was in the office with a million other things going on in my head.

(My first post on this forum and I can be a bit stupid at times, but I'm a little disappointed about the 'chancer' comment. Not very helpful.)

My feeling on the circuit was that the weakest point was with the neutral connection inside the bulb holder. The neutral terminal on these holders is part of a spring connection that presses against the bulb making an outer contact. In my experience, on most standard domestic ES holders the inside thread is metal and makes a good tight contact when the bulb is fitted. On these particular holders the thread part is plastic and the connection is made with the spring connection at a particular point as the bulb is fully tightened. When I installed the holders I thought this spring connection appeared to be a weak point, and so I assume that if this connection was not tight there would be visible signs of excessive heat/arcing on the metal, due to a loose connection. This could increase chances of a filament bulb blowing?

The GU10 LED bulbs supply the main lighting for the shop and there have been no problems with these at all.

The filament bulbs (antique style squirrel/globe) are specific ones, available from various online UK retailers, that are being used purely for aesthetic/visual merchandising purposes, to draw attention of customers to certain areas of the shop floor, e.g over a table displaying shoes, shop window display, and the sales counter.

Thanks for all the advice.

Those lamp holders are as old as the hills. Used up to 500W that I know of. I doubt very much they are the cause of you’re problems.

I too have 1000’s of things on my mind, I try not to make mistakes.

The filament bulbs (antique style squirrel/globe) are specific ones, available from various online UK retailers, that are being used purely for aesthetic/visual merchandising purposes, to draw attention of customers to certain areas of the shop floor, e.g over a table displaying shoes, shop window display, and the sales counter.

Thanks for all the advice.

Check the estimated lamp life from manufacturer, candle, golf lamps etc have a shorter life span than standard lamps. Also make sure the lamp doesn't have to be fitted on a certain plain... some lamps require the bulb to be above the cap so fitting them with the cap above the bulb like in a pendant drop will see very short lamp life.

Test the set-up by popping in a few standard lamps in and i bet they last.

As for sourcing your product--- the internet ..well need i say more there is so much cheap and fake crap flying around the internet unless you are sure the are a large reputable company dont buy them.

Reply to Surge protection for blown light bulbs? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net