Discuss Surge protection required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
My full time job is a maintenance engineer, part time, I'm small domestic electrical work. In the factory where I work contractors are installing new circuits to a sub 3 phase board. Rcd has been installed after the breaker although I know you can buy rcbo's for this board. Nothing wrong here though. My interpretation of the regs is surge protection is required as it's a new circuit in commercial premises. What am I missing as they have done a few new circuits but never fitted surge protection. Also I'm on nights when they have been working so cant ask.The main incomer doesnt have for this subboard doesn't have upfront surge protection.

Basically you need to perform the calculation to see if it isn't needed, they may have done this and found that there is no requirement.

If the calculation says it is needed, or you don't perform the calculations, then spd are required.

However, in terms of the work scope, that's where it becomes difficult, there isn't really a definitive point at which this must be added if you do a certain level of work.

So replace a socket outlet - do you have to bring everything up to current reg's?

I agree, normally the point most people consider is adding a new circuit, but this isn't actually set in stone. From a contractor/consultant point of view if they advise the customer it is needed and the customer says no, then they do have a reasonable defence for not doing it.

Rcd has been installed after the breaker although I know you can buy rcbo's for this board. Nothing wrong here though.
I have done the same when I wanted DP isolation so a N-E fault would not trip the incomer RCD, but the RCBOs were (as most are) SP.

My interpretation of the regs is surge protection is required as it's a new circuit in commercial premises. What am I missing as they have done a few new circuits but never fitted surge protection.
As Julie said, it is not clear at what point you should make it all "18th edition" specification.

Many folk never have any surge-related issues, but if you have a lot of electronics on site and/or a high risk feed (overhead supply in remote location, on same supply as industry switching large motors, etc) then it would be worth discussing an SPD with the customer.

Or like me where you have a greater fear of divine retribution than most...

Reply to Surge protection required? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net