Search the forum,

Discuss Surprise job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kingeri

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Had a pleasant call this evening.

Around a month ago I went to quote for a rewire of a large house (6 bedrooms). I had a good look around, did a bit of testing and concluded that the wiring was only about 10-15 years old, and was well installed and problem free so I advised that no rewire was needed. I asked why they wanted a rewire, and they siad they are redecorating and changing kitchen so why not. The main reason seemed to be that the wiring was old colours. I went away and didn't hear anything else from them.

Tonight they called and said they want to go ahead with a full rewire and they wanted me to do it, whatever the cost. They have had a few quotes, but apparently were impressed by my honesty.

If they insist.....!!!

Worth a years advertising. They may be thinking by the time it does need a rewire they may be to old to stand the hassle, and want it all done and dusted now.

Well done mate. It's always a great feeling when something like that happens. Customers appreciate the honesty & will always get you back based on that.

Yep honesty does pay I got a call Help no electrics so I talked her through it ie RCD had tripped managed to sort it over the phone as it was the kettle anyway 2 months later got a call do you remember me well i want some light put up

nice one mate! whilst browsing through here just now, i've been pricing a similar sounding one - 7 beds, 5 bathrooms,

it'll probably top £10k once the vat goes on!

hope my customers are as keen as yours!

I think they just want EVERYTHING new. I did suggest just upgrading the CU, but no.....everything has to be new. At least I'll be able to improve the circuit design, I do remember a few things that I would have done differently. Should keep me out of trouble for a bit :)

A new rewire when nothing wrong with installation! Only based on there chosen sparky the rewire could be worse than the exhisting installation!

Off course they have chosen the correct sparky, but there could be a time when people end up with either a 5wwder or Dave down the pub

Does sound a little odd, must admit, but does go to show that honesty pays. I had one a couple of weeks back, cooker tripping - so I told them that I could either spend hours stripping it down, find the fault, order a £30-40 part and give them a big bill, or they could walk into Currys and buy a new cooker for a lot less than my likely bill. Low and behold.....now have about three or four days of socket bashing to do for them.

People find honesty refreshing and they appreciate it as they find its not what they tell you type mentality ie when you buy a phone they dont tell you all the catches involved and this is permiated throughout business ie PPI from the bank.

I serviced an alarm this morning the customer asked how old do you think the system is and do you think it needs changed I said its 25-30 old and it is servicable so dont change it unless you have to.

Yes its 30 years old he confirmed and thanks because thats the answer I was looking for.

I serviced an alarm this morning the customer asked how old do you think the system is and do you think it needs changed I said its 25-30 old and it is serviceable so don't change it unless you have to.

Yes its 30 years old he confirmed and thanks because that's the answer I was looking for.

Haha...two tests in one, are you honest and/or do you know what you're talking about?
You pass on both!

People find honesty refreshing and they appreciate it as they find its not what they tell you type mentality ie when you buy a phone they dont tell you all the catches involved and this is permiated throughout business ie PPI from the bank.

I serviced an alarm this morning the customer asked how old do you think the system is and do you think it needs changed I said its 25-30 old and it is servicable so dont change it unless you have to.

Yes its 30 years old he confirmed and thanks because thats the answer I was looking for.

Did he have a bald head and a cockney accent by any chance?

Na just a guy who had seen it all and was in a way testing me which should pay me back in recommendations the problem is I am old enough to know that if the sales of a business is dominant then it can fail look at Endownments,Pensions,Timeshare,PPl,Libor and even Scheme providors that were and are sales driven .

I would recommend that they read Hans Christian Andersons The Golden Goose but somehow I doubt if they would make the connection

Reply to Surprise job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net