Discuss Sweden-How do I get these wires out to attach to my ceiling light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello all! Probably a noob question, but really appreciate your help with this. I am trying to fit a ceiling light and need to get out the existing electrical fitting to be able to screw in the base plate of the ceiling light I bought. Below are the pictures of the existing electrical fitting (one from inside and the other from outside), but I do not see any screws to loosen the wire so that it can be pulled out. I tried pulling up the green flaps with "N" and "P" but that doesn't seem to help either. I guess I can pull too hard to get the wire out but that doesn't seem to be the right way and I doubt if I'll be able to reuse that plug plate after that. I wonder how someone got those wires in there in the first place. I tried looking around for installation videos but didn't find any. Please note these are Swedish (Stockholm) fittings. This is my first time doing this, so probably I am missing something obvious here and thought I should ask for help!

Sweden-How do I get these wires out to attach to my ceiling light Image from iOS (1) - EletriciansForums.net

Sweden-How do I get these wires out to attach to my ceiling light Image from iOS (2) - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks for the reply @ferg! That doesn't seem to work either. Here is a closer look at the internals + wire. Looks like pushing down might clutch the wire more hard. Not sure!

Sweden-How do I get these wires out to attach to my ceiling light Image from iOS (3) - EletriciansForums.net
Sweden-How do I get these wires out to attach to my ceiling light Image from iOS (6) - EletriciansForums.net

Thanks! Just to double check, by flaps you mean the ones with characters "N" and "P". Would it still be hard to pull after pressing or should it come out easily. I tried pressing by hand and pulling the wires, but I still need to pull pretty hard. Feels like I am doing something wrong. Is there a video somewhere for this fitting which you can point me to. Thanks a lot!

If you are not reusing that fitting just cut the wires off.

Thank you everyone for the help! :)

I pulled the wires a bit harder and they came off. Not sure if I'll be able to put them in easily in case I need to switch back, but I am good for now! Successfully installed my first light, thanks to you all!

Flaps?

No!
Just too many jokes there...

Odd that a light fitting in Sweden is so well made, clearly not from the usual outlet!

In many countries in Europe light fittings plug in to a ceiling socket (called a GTL in France, something else in Sweden). See your second picture. Your new light fitting should have come with the appropriate plug.

@pirate haha! I already mentioned I know nothing about it ;)
That fitting is pretty common here on the ceilings! It has a lamp plug and a hook to hang your lights from.

@GeorgeCooke the light I bought is a circular one and almost sticks to the surface. Now the ceiling fitting and the hook hinders the light from sticking to the surface and that's why I had to get rid of it and connect the wires directly. An alternate approach could be that I extended the wires and put the light to the side of the fitting using the lamp plug. That would look a bit odd and not so clean, so I decided to get rid of it. Here's a picture to give you an idea.

Attachments

• Sweden-How do I get these wires out to attach to my ceiling light Image from iOS (7) - EletriciansForums.net
    Image from iOS (7).jpg
    968.3 KB · Views: 8

Reply to Sweden-How do I get these wires out to attach to my ceiling light in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock