Discuss Switches for fluorescent lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

hillbillie

Hi all,

I'm in the process of rewiring my flat and due to the 25% rule have bought a few fluorescents.

Do I need to use switches rated at 6AX or 10AX with these or will any crabtree, MK etc lightswitch from screwfix do? I am aware that dimmers don't work with all fluorescents but bog standard switches?

Standard switches will be ok.
Beware using timers or PIRs though, some arent rated to accomodate fluorescent or other discharge lighting.
Also you can get dimmable HF ballasts to dim flo lights if you need to. £ though.
Bear in mind building Regs have changed and now require drawings/designs submitted after beginning of October 1st 2010 to allow 75% energy efficient lighting with dedicated lamps that have an efficiency greater than I think 50 or 55? lumens per circuit watt instead of 45.

Bear in mind building Regs have changed and now require drawings/designs submitted after beginning of October 1st 2010 to allow 75% energy efficient lighting with dedicated lamps that have an efficiency greater than I think 50 or 55? lumens per circuit watt instead of 45.

has this definitely changed or is it still a 'proposal'? I rang technical support at NAPIT and they still think the 25% rule applies

and which lamps have a lighting efficiency greater that 50-55 lumens per circuit watt? That must rule out fluorescents too?

thoughts of chairman Tel....... it's your flat, your home. why should some pillock of a eurocrat in a foreign country dictate to you whether you fit low energy , can;t read the daily sport under, crap, when what you want is a crystal chandelier with 40 incandescent lamps. the heat given off is not waste, it reduces the heat you need to get from your central heating. basic law of physics " energy cannot be created or destroyed"

I have spoken to wholesalers and lighting manufacturers and they all tell me it is in force for plans/designs submitted after OCT 2010. Alot of fittings do not now comply apparently even some LED ! Unless this is a multiple case of chinese whispers Im sure its in force. Ill start a new thread on the subject and see what every one else thinks ?? Should be interesting !

thoughts of chairman Tel....... it's your flat, your home. why should some pillock of a eurocrat in a foreign country dictate to you whether you fit low energy , can;t read the daily sport under, crap, when what you want is a crystal chandelier with 40 incandescent lamps. the heat given off is not waste, it reduces the heat you need to get from your central heating. basic law of physics " energy cannot be created or destroyed"
......Amen Tel.

Reply to Switches for fluorescent lights in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net