Discuss T8 Fixture Hot, Ground or Short issue? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

dfunk93

DIY
Reaction score
Info: Located in US

I have a 48” T8 fixture that I recently added LED’s by removing the ballast and wiring directly. After doing so when hanging the fixture with the chain, after plugging it in to turn it on I got a small shock from the chain.

Full disclosure, I do have some maintenance/electric experience, I worked maintenance for three years but had pretty limited exposure to electrical work; ie: changing ballasts replacing light fixtures etc.

I pulled it apart to see if I had any frayed wires or bad connections and didn’t see any obvious problems. I posted some pictures of how it’s wired and some damage to the connection (not sure if that’s shorting it or not.)

Any advice on where to start my diagnosis would be greatly appreciated!

*Let me know if any additional info/pictures are needed.

Attachments

• IMG_6157.jpeg
    349.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6156.jpeg
    280.9 KB · Views: 18

I have a 48” T8 fixture that I recently added LED’s by removing the ballast and wiring directly. After doing so when hanging the fixture with the chain, after plugging it in to turn it on I got a small shock from the chain.

Full disclosure, I do have some maintenance/electric experience, I worked maintenance for three years but had pretty limited exposure to electrical work; ie: changing ballasts replacing light fixtures etc.

I pulled it apart to see if I had any frayed wires or bad connections and didn’t see any obvious problems. I posted some pictures of how it’s wired and some damage to the connection (not sure if that’s shorting it or not.)

There is obvious damage to the end cap.
Looks like it has either degraded with heat over time, or has been dropped?

• Agree
Reactions: DPG
Honestly it was something I got for free and figured it wouldn’t be too much to fix. I’ll probably just replace that outlet and then test it.

I have to agree with @James on the broken fitting on the end of the bulb. It’s grounded properly but something is wrong because the chain shouldn’t have shocked you. Have you tried to check the voltage on the chain.

I have to agree with @James on the broken fitting on the end of the bulb. It’s grounded properly but something is wrong because the chain shouldn’t have shocked you. Have you tried to check the voltage on the chain.
The voltage on the chain is just under 5v

Could there possibly be wrong somewhere else ?
Not that I can see, I’m about to order some new lamp holders for it and see if that broken one was making contact with the housing. No bad wires visible all wire nuts are secure ect.

Not that I can see, I’m about to order some new lamp holders for it and see if that broken one was making contact with the housing. No bad wires visible all wire nuts are secure ect.
If possible keep us updated and good luck

Reply to T8 Fixture Hot, Ground or Short issue? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net