Discuss Table saw motor wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I have read some single phase motors have start/run windings with different resistances so that may account for the values i got. However, all the single phase motors i find reference to have two windings.
I've thought earlier that the wiring diagram of that motor makes much more sense if the winding on the yellow wires is deleted, and the resistance ratio between the other two is approximately what I would expect.
Marconi could well be onto a winner with his idea of a feedback winding to control the NV switch. Makes sense, and uses up a couple more of the surfeit of terminals on that switch.

I've only just skimmed the thread for the first time but surely the two yellow leads with 0.14Ω between them would be a thermal overload cutout in series with the neutral end of the hold coil of the NVR switch?

Last edited:
There are 4 terminal and 5 terminal NVR switches for single phase motor applications such as your FERM table saw. In both the 4 and 5 terminal switch the hold on coil is 230V ac mains voltage.

There is no way that the motor has a 230V ac sense coil with only a resistance of 0.14 Ohms - the wire would have to be too thick and thus the winding too bulky to fit inside the motor. The device between the yellow wires with a resistance of 0.14 is - as Lucien keenly and helpfully observes a switch - a thermal cut out switch. I feel a Captain Mainwaring moment - 'I was wondering when someone would spot that'. My musings 3-5 were fanciful - only 1 and 2 apply.

The form, fit, function for the switch in the image you posted is met by a KJD18 with 5 terminals but do check dimensions:

ChaRLes 250V 15A Kjd18 Switch 5 Pin No-Voltage Release Switch Plastic : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools - https://www.amazon.co.uk/ChaRLes-Switch-No-Voltage-Release-Plastic/dp/B07VDR3J3G/ref=sr_1_8?dchild=1&keywords=kjd18&qid=1626145243&sr=8-8#descriptionAndDetails

See attachment - ignore unused contacts 5 and 6 of image - I could only find a picture for a KJD18 7 pin for 3 phase 400V ac.

Attachments

• Table saw motor wiring kjd18 - EletriciansForums.net
    kjd18.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Reply to Table saw motor wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock