Discuss Teeside HNC Electrical and Electronic Engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi guys,

Thought i'd introduce myself as i'm also studying towards the HNC Electrical/Electronics through Teeside and found this thread to be very useful. Currently an avionics tech in the RAF and looking to improve my prospects in civvy street!

So far i'm finding it tough but enjoyable and rewarding, especially when i manage to get a decent result! So far i've completed the maths bridging course and started ENS in November. TMA1 and 2 are done and most of my way through TMA3. Just that damn potentiometer question left! If anyone can offer some words of advice it would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone requires help with the bridging course or the science modules i'd be more than happy to help.

Stand272

Hi, although i've finished now this forum can be really good. As an ex military guy I cant recommend doing this HNC enough, it will give you a massive leg up on your CV when you leave.

Hi,
Im studying the same HNC. Ive completed All the core modules (except the project) and PLC module. I am currently trying to complete Digital and Analogue devices and circuits, but am having trouble trying to simulate an Op Amp using SIMetrix. Has anyone got any experience of using this, who could guide me in the right direction.

hi has anyone done the annunciator for plc module,, i have done most of the logic just cant get the whole lot to reset unless i use the lamp test button to reset the whole lot.

So do any of you guy's currently working on your HNC course find the math easy or at a level you'd find on a C&G course??

Seeing as many of you on this thread needed to complete the math bridging course, i suspect the answer to be an emphatic ...NO!! lol!!

I didn't do myHNC with Teesside but did the same qualification with Gateshead college atnight classes, I barely scraped a C at GCSE so as you can guess Maths was nevermy strong point and I was worried about starting my HNC after only doing theC&G as opposed to the BTEC that I believe would have been a much betterqualification. However I found that even though it seems difficult at first it’sjust a matter of repetition till it clicks that the beauty about maths, I endedup finishing analytical methods with a distinction.

Good to see everybody helping out through this thread! I'm looking at starting this HNC myself in May and found everybody's opinions here very helpful! Good luck to all doing it!

Danny

Good to see everybody helping out through this thread! I'm looking at starting this HNC myself in May and found everybody's opinions here very helpful! Good luck to all doing it!

Danny

Hi Danny,

I'm also considering starting this course in May, was going to sign up to it late last year, but didn't get round to it. Do you have any previous experience with distance learning? All my previous learning has been day release at college.

Has anyone opted to stray away from the scheduled optional modules and completed those more relevant to your job? I've noticed in the handbook it says optional modules may be available.

Cheers

Hi Danny,

I'm also considering starting this course in May, was going to sign up to it late last year, but didn't get round to it. Do you have any previous experience with distance learning? All my previous learning has been day release at college.

Has anyone opted to stray away from the scheduled optional modules and completed those more relevant to your job? I've noticed in the handbook it says optional modules may be available.

Cheers

Hello mate,

No I dont have any experience with distance learning I also completed my
apprenticeship through day release to college and any other qualifications I have also done after this have been at training centres so this is going to be an experience for me!
Let me know if you go ahead with the May start, I to looked at this last year and I need to do the maths brodging module but was told my Compex qualification counted towards a module.
See how the maths treats me I'm a little bit rusty haha.

Danny

Hello mate,

No I dont have any experience with distance learning I also completed my
apprenticeship through day release to college and any other qualifications I have also done after this have been at training centres so this is going to be an experience for me!
Let me know if you go ahead with the May start, I to looked at this last year and I need to do the maths brodging module but was told my Compex qualification counted towards a module.
See how the maths treats me I'm a little bit rusty haha.

Danny

Thanks for the reply. From what I gather (and it's only my interpretation of the course) is that it does seem more structured and has that 'classroom feel' to it now, by being able to interact with others on the course. Think it changed in Feb from what I read. Yeah I'll keep in touch, I'm more than likely not going to put it off any longer, and get started in May. I'll give them a buzz next week as I want to find out some more about it. I'm hoping I won't have to do the maths bridging course as I got a distinction in the subject at BTEC level, but that was 4 years ago! Maths isn't my strongest point either, but I find persistence pays off. Are you going to stick with the course as it comes or are you looking into going off the beaten track and doing different modules?

Cheers Dan

Thanks for the reply. From what I gather (and it's only my interpretation of the course) is that it does seem more structured and has that 'classroom feel' to it now, by being able to interact with others on the course. Think it changed in Feb from what I read. Yeah I'll keep in touch, I'm more than likely not going to put it off any longer, and get started in May. I'll give them a buzz next week as I want to find out some more about it. I'm hoping I won't have to do the maths bridging course as I got a distinction in the subject at BTEC level, but that was 4 years ago! Maths isn't my strongest point either, but I find persistence pays off. Are you going to stick with the course as it comes or are you looking into going off the beaten track and doing different modules?

Cheers Dan

Hello matey,

Sorry for the late reply I'm back offshore and been a bit busy lately! I have applied just have to pay for the first module which is in fact the foundation mathematics for engineers so we will see how I get on with that :) .
As for your BTEC you should be ok maybe, have you filled out the application yet? My compex qualification counts as 30 Level 4 credits so I'm pretty pleased about that, saves doing another module!
As for the modules this is the schedule I was sent with my application;

25th May 2015 Foundation Mathematics For Engineers ( 3)
5th October 2015 1. Analytical Methods for Engineers (4)
8th February 2016 2. Engineering Science (4)
23rd May 2016 3. Digital & Analogue Devices & Circuits (4)
3rd October 2016 4. Programmable Logic Controllers (4)
6th February 20175. Electrical Machines (4) OR Distributed Control Systems (4)
22nd May 20176. Electrical Supply and Distribution (5) OR Combinational & Sequential Logic (5)
2nd October 2017 7. Electrical & Electronic Principles (5)
5th February 2018 8. Project (5).

So looks like I will probably do Distributed Control Systems & Electrical Supply & Distribution. Hope this helps, I'm looking forward to getting it started now!

Danny

@engineer54

Nah I didn't have to do the maths bridging module and I found the maths straightforward enough by using other sources of info as opposed to the learning notes that Teesside provide as they are rubbish! Currently on my fifth module, PLC's , and I'm on my third assignment for that module. Next assignment is the practical which I'm looking forward to. Then it's only two more modules + project and I'm done :)

Hello matey,

Sorry for the late reply I'm back offshore and been a bit busy lately! I have applied just have to pay for the first module which is in fact the foundation mathematics for engineers so we will see how I get on with that :) .
As for your BTEC you should be ok maybe, have you filled out the application yet?

Don't worry about it. :D I have partly filled out the application but got stumped at the part where it asked me to upload my CV and a personal statement. I've not updated my CV in 8 years, so need to get that altered, write out a personal statement and then will continue. Did you have to do this?

My compex qualification counts as 30 Level 4 credits so I'm pretty pleased about that, saves doing another module!

Yeah, I bet that is a bit of a relief, should finish around the same time as me then, as you're doing the Foundation Mathematics for Engineers. I bought some books a while back from Amazon, think it was in this topic that they were recommended.

* Higher Engineering Mathematics-John Bird (Seventh edition)
* Electrical Circuit Theory and Technology-John Bird (Fifth edition)
* Higher National Engineering- Mike Tooley & Lloyd Dingle (Second edition)

Started flicking through the maths book, for a bit of revision and to try and get myself back up to speed. Some of the stuff makes the mind boggle.

As for the modules this is the schedule I was sent with my application;

25th May 2015 Foundation Mathematics For Engineers ( 3)
5th October 2015 1. Analytical Methods for Engineers (4)
8th February 2016 2. Engineering Science (4)
23rd May 2016 3. Digital & Analogue Devices & Circuits (4)
3rd October 2016 4. Programmable Logic Controllers (4)
6th February 20175. Electrical Machines (4) OR Distributed Control Systems (4)
22nd May 20176. Electrical Supply and Distribution (5) OR Combinational & Sequential Logic (5)
2nd October 2017 7. Electrical & Electronic Principles (5)
5th February 2018 8. Project (5).

So looks like I will probably do Distributed Control Systems & Electrical Supply & Distribution. Hope this helps, I'm looking forward to getting it started now!

Yeah, cheers for posting that list, it's helped a lot. Think if they offer me the same I'd take Electrical Supply and Distribution and Electrical Machines.

Are you thinking of doing the HND afterwards? I've read that you can postpone the project if you are. I didn't want to sign up to the HND from the off, just incase I don't get along with this distance learning.

If you don't mind me asking, are you funding the course yourself?

Cheers

Yeah mate I already had a CV on hand, with me working offshore I have tended to update it after every trip for the last 3 years which was lucky!

Sounds good I will check some of those books out, I already have * Higher Engineering Mathematics-John Bird (Seventh edition). I have been using mathstutor.ac.uk as recommended by somebody in this thread I think. It seems to be pretty good, started looking into it now to get back up to speed!

Yeah I am possibly thinking of the HND, Same I am just going to test the water with the HNC first and see how well I can keep to study patterns etc!? Haha

I'm paying for the course myself, looked at other routes to finance it but I come to the conclusion that I was better leaving the option for student loans to something after this course. What about yourself?

Danny

Yeah mate I already had a CV on hand, with me working offshore I have tended to update it after every trip for the last 3 years which was lucky!

Ah right, not a bad idea mate. Wished I had kept mine a bit more up to date!

Sounds good I will check some of those books out, I already have * Higher Engineering Mathematics-John Bird (Seventh edition). I have been using mathstutor.ac.uk as recommended by somebody in this thread I think. It seems to be pretty good, started looking into it now to get back up to speed!

Think I've seen mathstutor mentioned on in this thread too, will check it out.

Yeah I am possibly thinking of the HND, Same I am just going to test the water with the HNC first and see how well I can keep to study patterns etc!? Haha

That'll be the biggest battle I think, not too sure how much time you're expected to commit to it a week to keep up. Perhaps someone that is already on the course can share what works for them?

I'm paying for the course myself, looked at other routes to finance it but I come to the conclusion that I was better leaving the option for student loans to something after this course. What about yourself?

Yeah, I've looked into student financing, but figured it's probably best to fund it myself.

Cheers bud

Ive just signed up for this myself. Paid for the maths course etc. I'm looking forward to it. Although slightly worried It's gonna be a bit to advanced. But we'll see, Nice to know there are others on here who I can harass lol.

Reply to Teeside HNC Electrical and Electronic Engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net