• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Testers for Homeowners (e.g. non professionals) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

duckie

-
Reaction score
Hi - Sometimes a normal person would need to check and test their electrical connections. There are testers which claim to help do this job - my question is are they OK to use as a starting point to figuring if there is a problem in the first place? e.g. socket earth wire not connected which can be quickly tested with the socket tester

Here's one I purchased recently from Amazon that helped me find a socket which did not have its earth wire connected which I thought was a good use of the tester. Tester on Amazon

Testers for Homeowners (e.g. non professionals) 1560100539251 - EletriciansForums.net

Hi - Sometimes a normal person would need to check and test their electrical connections. There are testers which claim to help do this job - my question is are they OK to use as a starting point to figuring if there is a problem in the first place? e.g. socket earth wire not connected which can be quickly tested with the socket tester

Here's one I purchased recently from Amazon that helped me find a socket which did not have its earth wire connected which I thought was a good use of the tester. Tester on Amazon

View attachment 49921
useful as you describe but as Andy said, limited. e.g. they won't detect a N-E reversal. but end of the day, a useful DIY tool. we all carry one in addition to "proper" test gear. main use we find is checking which sockets are fed by each MCB without the encumbrance of a Megger.

What is it you are trying to achieve with these testers? Are you regularly using them? Just diying or more at home or elsewhere???

Reply to Testers for Homeowners (e.g. non professionals) in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back