Discuss The new build consumer unit of the future and beyond... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

what with all tese surge protectors and AFDs, soon need to build extensions on houses just to accommodate the CU.

I wonder how much they cost. No more under the stairs CU then, which is good. I imagine the average householder will be clueless when an MCB pops. I should imagine the average DI would also be challenged in encountering just the three phase supply let alone the relative complexity of the metering and ananlysis tools in the CU. It also smacks a bit of big brother in that every house is monitored and the whole estate is also monitored collectively. The control levels are a bit worrying as well with the outward bound information and switching from a remote point no doubt. It means a whole estate could be powered down and/controlled at peak demand.

Looks expensive! Both to install and maintain. I like the rain funnel under the charge point. Like the Idea of 3hp supply though! Ideal for blowing stuff up!

Yes, I was wondering about the cost of the 'consumer unit', possibly when hidden in the cost of a new house it is not too bad, would be interesting to know.

The remote moitoring and control is a bit worrying. E.g. you arrive home Friday evening and want to fast charge your car for an hour before setting off for a weekend away, and an hour later you find it hasn't happened because everyone is cooking dinner.

Liked the comments at the end about the plumber retraining, more money now in electrics!

A lot of new builds in the region who have wpd supplying the electric rather than independent dnos now have 3 phase. A large 4 bed house im wiring in new year will be 3 phase switchgear. Does add to the cost but allows for greater range of equipment and future proofing. Due to size of the switchgear we are.creating utility cupboard rather than typical fix cu to wall.
It annoys me on new.builds when the cu is muddle of the hallway wall! Looks awful

With the Central Electrical hub (can't call it a C.U anymore it'll confuse people) and hot water cylinder and possibly thermal store and Heat pump distribution box / exchanger and P.V inverter and battery store and UPS (if anyone noticed on the D.B) also water softener where required, it'll need a plant room not a cupboard.

Houses are going to have be designed around services not services bunged in as an after thought.
That'll include houses having significant extensions / refurbs.

As above

Things are going to require proper thought and planning now , you need a proper plant room with room to actually work in and install stuff at a nice working height. Gone of the days of sticking the consumer unit in the downstairs bog on the wall just above the Sh!tter

I see lots of different manufacturers devices devices that wylex board, also MCBs feeding other banks of MCBS, no idea how they intend to terminate the SWA in the meter box either. And an ongoing subscription service for the smart side of it, eroding possible savings. I find I'm increasingly going off efixx.

Reply to The new build consumer unit of the future and beyond... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net