Discuss The Rise & Rise of the Celebrity Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

What trick's that?
It's for where you need to drill a hole very close to cables, where there is a risk of damaging them (for example through the opening in the back of an existing consumer unit, through a wall, to bring a new cable in). Basically slip about a foot of conduit over the long SDS drill bit, and use it as a shield to prevent the cables snagging on the drill bit. You have to hold it in place against the wall as you drill, but it works very well.

It was on an Artisan video IIRC. You get the odd gem such as this on these youtube vids, but you do have to wade through a lot of manure to find them.

David savery is my fave cos he says it like it fekn is!
John Ward for his no-nonsense dry delivery.
Some of the others are just boring cos they plug products all the time, and do pretty mundane stuff too...while showcasing their new hair-do's...
Bundy has sadly gone off the rails recently, showing nothing of interest except some truly awful plastic conduit work...

Fair play to them. Don't watch bundy or artisan anymore. Artisan has an incredibly arrogant feel and works for the richest of the rich, bundy spends so much time spurting advertisements for people that he's unbearable. Can't fault their work or commitment to YouTube, just find both of them annoying.

These video's may be offering tips and tricks or demonstrating ways of doing jobs but are they real paying jobs, how much would you pay some of these guy's while they are making these videos or in some cases clowning about on camera that will earn them more money.
I find most of them make me want to turn them off shortly after pressing play for every one that has any value there is probably 10 - 20 that are just taking up server space for no good reason

Given how long it can take to gather the usable video that is needed to put together a short 5 - 10 minute news piece I don't see how they do 8 hours real work onsite and produce the video that some of them do
Been involved in the past with TV companies producing short videos promoting some of the hobbies and sports that I did and 8 - 10 hours effort may only produce a 5 minute segment on TV

The DSS guy seems to have tired of filming electrical stuff and did a series of videos about his home extension - found myself watching and enjoying them. Always enjoy watching David Savery and John Ward, but now struggle to find the time for anything more than an occasional video.

Given how long it can take to gather the usable video that is needed to put together a short 5 - 10 minute news piece I don't see how they do 8 hours real work onsite and produce the video that some of them do
Been involved in the past with TV companies producing short videos promoting some of the hobbies and sports that I did and 8 - 10 hours effort may only produce a 5 minute segment on TV
I get where you're coming from but you're not comparing apples with apples - someone waving a GoPro around isn't quite the same as a professional crew in terms of time required or quality of the final result.

I would imagine/hope that these guys offer their customers either a fixed price that excludes additional time for filming, or a significant discount on the the overall price. Wishful thinking perhaps...!

I get where you're coming from but you're not comparing apples with apples - someone waving a GoPro around isn't quite the same as a professional crew in terms of time required or quality of the final result.

I would imagine/hope that these guys offer their customers either a fixed price that excludes additional time for filming, or a significant discount on the the overall price. Wishful thinking perhaps...!
Clearly a lot of these videos are a little bit more than one guy waving a GoPro around when they are doing their bits "to camera" in well framed and well lit shots. Producing these videos appears to be as much an industry to them as the electrical work they are doing
I highly doubt it adds any real time onto the job. They probably just work an extra half hour every day.
I think you very grossly under estimate the time needed to produce the usable video needed for most of these videos. How often do you take a still picture on a job and you end up taking 2, 3 or more until you get the right well lit well framed in focus shot that shows what you want to show. By the time you get to lights, camera, action to give you something to edit I think more than half an hour will be lost on the day as I don't think every section of these videos is done as a single unscripted take

Yes . The time taken to set up and edit a video to achieve decent results can be considerable.
There is that part to it but just gathering the video to edit takes considerable time. You find a fault that you want to show the world but there is more to it than a few minutes of video and some spiel to camera it all has to be planned and structured to present it properly

Reply to The Rise & Rise of the Celebrity Electrician in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net