Discuss Timer and contactor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Can I suggest to apply for the trainee section, you will find this section informative with guys like yourself helping each other through their college courses.

why do you use a contatcor and a timer?

you use a timer if you want to time something to come on and off at a certain time and you would normally use a contactor if what you are switching has a high start up current that the OCPD cant cope with or what ever you are wanting to use to act as the switch (in this case a timer) cant cope with the load so you use a contactor and a timer to switch the coil so the timer does not take the brunt.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲what he says.

You will take a L&N from consume unit and bring it to the time clock.

You will then take SWL from time clock to the contactor.

Connect aforementioned SWL to A1 and N to A2

Bring a permanent L and N to the N/O contacts of contactor and the SWL and SWN goes to light fittings.

It's not a crime to admit that you are out of your depth matey.

Especially as a trainee.

knowing your limitations and working within them is a skill in itself.

I will happily admit that I am in no way an expert with contactors and alike but i feel (and as others have also told me in some cases), the best way to learn is from mistakes and trying it yourself. Trev, who is paul m, sinter and marvo?

I will happily admit that I am in no way an expert with contactors and alike but i feel (and as others have also told me in some cases), the best way to learn is from mistakes and trying it yourself. Trev, who is paul m, sinter and marvo?

Well TBF the best way to learn is from other peoples mistakes.

All the advice from people who have already made those mistakes and rectified countless more of other peoples mistakes is ???? :)

......who is paul m, sinter and marvo?

I thought I heard my name being mentioned :)

You can apply to join our trainee forum which is free and no strings attached. There's mentors there who will assist with an electrical related questions or problems. Please read this thread and do the necessary so we can consider your application.

If you need a basic explaination how any electrical component works then wikipedia is a good place to start or there's a free publication called 'All About Circuits' which is pitched at a suitable level for learners.

Mate, you're an apprentice. A fairly new one by the sounds of it so you're not an expert in anything yet.
Walk before you run.
By all means learn from mistakes but those mistakes are best made under supervision so the person doing the supervising can tell you where you went wrong and how to put them right. As I've said several times, if you do this job I confidently predict a lot of problems for you.
You're not ready for this.
Yet

Learn to swim before you dive in, there is no shame in telling your mate your still learning and don't know how to do it, the thing about electricity is it can kill... competence before pride always is my best advice!

the tutor will have broken up for xmas

Cracked up more like. How long have you been an apprentice?

you use a timer if you want to time something to come on and off at a certain time and you would normally use a contactor if what you are switching has a high start up current that the OCPD cant cope with or what ever you are wanting to use to act as the switch (in this case a timer) cant cope with the load so you use a contactor and a timer to switch the coil so the timer does not take the brunt.

What a load of codswallop!

ok then, am seeing him today, can you at least help me understand the wiring of what is already there- i am off for xmas now so won't see any1 until after new year. at the moment, the wiring is as follows: mains live to terminal '1' of contactor and to live on timer, mains neutral to terminal '3' of contactor and to neutral out on timer, terminal '2' on contactor to live of lights, terminal '4' to neutral of lights, A1 of contactor to switch live on timer, and A2 to neutral on timer. the contactor is 2 pole

ok then, am seeing him today, can you at least help me understand the wiring of what is already there- i am off for xmas now so won't see any1 until after new year. at the moment, the wiring is as follows: mains live to terminal '1' of contactor and to live on timer, mains neutral to terminal '3' of contactor and to neutral out on timer, terminal '2' on contactor to live of lights, terminal '4' to neutral of lights, A1 of contactor to switch live on timer, and A2 to neutral on timer. the contactor is 2 pole

Seeing him on a Sunday after he has probably finished for Xmas?

You a wind up merchant?

Reply to Timer and contactor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net