Discuss Timer and contactor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Can you post a picture of what you have already, it's difficult to advise/help when you only have a vague description, a diagram would help also, not having a go at you, just need more clear info

I will happily admit that I am in no way an expert with contactors and alike but i feel (and as others have also told me in some cases), the best way to learn is from mistakes and trying it yourself. Trev, who is paul m, sinter and marvo?
This is electricity you are playing with which has the 'potential' (see what I did there ;) ) to kill or damage property...the best way to learn is not by making mistakes although it is effective.
Your best way to learn is good old hard revision and hands on approach with a mentor to watch over you as you would with an apprenticeship - this is why these short crammed courses are worthless because you pass parrot fashion and come out with no real experience or understanding into a world where your mistakes can kill others if not yourself.

People do learn from mistakes, that im not knocking but to say its the best way to learn in this industry is frightening!

application.pdf

Alex,

From your description, it’s a very basic contactor circuit. One, which probably can easily be found if searched for on google or in a basic training manual. There are assumptions made here due to lack of information:

The contactor coil pins, A1 & A2 are connected to the timer, so when the N/O timer contact closes at the required time, the contactor coil will be energised. The two N/O contactor contacts (pins 1&2 and 3&4) will both close when the coil is energised. Therefore live (pin 1) will supply pin 2, so supplying live to the lights. Neutral (pin 3) will close the circuit with pin 4.

Edit:Typing '2 pole contactor circuit' into google revealed plenty of examples...sorry but its really not hard.

I would suggest going to Maplins and buying some 12V DC relays and play with these using a power supply and some lamps. Won’t cost much but will be educational, safer than playing with mains.

Last edited:
Jamzie FFS! The only advice he needs to listen to is what he has already been told by several members IE. STOP!
He seems determined to do this job despite having been given that advice several times. Imo he's on his own because any more information is going to lull him into a false sense of security

Jamzie FFS! The only advice he needs to listen to is what he has already been told by several members IE. STOP!
He seems determined to do this job despite having been given that advice several times. Imo he's on his own because any more information is going to lull him into a false sense of security
you can't help some people trev, let him break some things and have to call someone in for advice and to fix it.

you do realise if your doing this at your mates you should have insurance etc, your not competent to do it either.

if anything badly goes wrong he will be hung out to dry

Giving advice to someone who is out of his depth is suicide, what happens if Alex now has a go at this and wires it wrong which then leads to an house fire and wipes out an entire family on christmas day.
Jamzie, Alex has been given instructions on how to get in to the trainee section,lets leave it there and every one can sleep at night, the lad is trying to learn which is fair enough but it can't be at the expense of someones life.

We all tread a fine line when giving out advice. I think no matter what anyone says here that the op is going to do this on his own.

Alex,

From your description, it’s a very basic contactor circuit. One, which probably can easily be found if searched for on google or in a basic training manual. There are assumptions made here due to lack of information:

The contactor coil pins, A1 & A2 are connected to the timer, so when the N/O timer contact closes at the required time, the contactor coil will be energised. The two N/O contactor contacts (pins 1&2 and 3&4) will both close when the coil is energised. Therefore live (pin 1) will supply pin 2, so supplying live to the lights. Neutral (pin 3) will close the circuit with pin 4.

Edit:Typing '2 pole contactor circuit' into google revealed plenty of examples...sorry but its really not hard.

I would suggest going to Maplins and buying some 12V DC relays and play with these using a power supply and some lamps. Won’t cost much but will be educational, safer than playing with mains.
You Barribon Buffoon you

Because you don’t know what you’re looking at.

Keep your fingers out of it and get an experienced electrician to teach you how the circuit works.

Reply to Timer and contactor in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net