Discuss Torque Screwdriver Calibration Company? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Strima

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Anyone recommend a decent company for torque screwdriver calibration that won't break the bank?

Some companies seem to be pretty close to the price of a new one which would start to get expensive over the years.

When you look at the cost of of the equipment to recalibrate torque wrenches / screwdrivers calibration is going to be expensive. Most of the companies I know that need calibrated torque wrenches generally buy new to replace what they have every year as a more cost effective option

The cost is ridiculous compared to the original purchase cost of the tool. I can get pre-set adaptors for my set but I need 2.26Nm and the nearest they do is 2.0Nm so not a million miles off, and they retail at around ÂŁ35 which is less than a lot of calibration companies charge.

But I begrudge having to bin a perfectly good tool due to cost of calibration.

s-l400.jpg

To say it's not worth the cost and the downtime isn't strictly true. If I snap one of the studs on the customer kit it's a revisit at my own cost meaning I lose a day rate, can you afford that? Mate of mine snapped one last week. (and his cable dressing is pants)...

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-24 at 16.39.32.jpeg

The cost is ridiculous compared to the original purchase cost of the tool. I can get pre-set adaptors for my set but I need 2.26Nm and the nearest they do is 2.0Nm so not a million miles off, and they retail at around ÂŁ35 which is less than a lot of calibration companies charge.

View attachment 86264

To say it's not worth the cost and the downtime isn't strictly true. If I snap one of the studs on the customer kit it's a revisit at my own cost meaning I lose a day rate, can you afford that? Mate of mine snapped one last week. (and his cable dressing is pants)...

View attachment 86265
At your day rate I would have to agree ! But for the average guy its a bitter taste moment .

A lot of people consider an EICR expensive but MFT's aare expensive and have to be calibrated etc which all adds to the cost.
The calibration companies have equipment that needs calibrating and UKAS assessments which all adds to the cost
So it's bite the bullet and pay to recalibrate or speak to the manufacturer to see if they do a lower cost calibration or have a trade in option against a new unit
So if it takes 2 - 3 days or more to get it recalibrated you have 2 - 3 days or more of downtime where you cannot install or repair kit by buying a new one there is no downtime, alternatively buying a second one and recalibrating your existing one when the second on needs recalibrating you can swap over and there is zero downtime for calibration

alternatively buying a second one and recalibrating your existing one when the second on needs recalibrating you can swap over and there is zero downtime for calibration

But if you had 2 to send for calibration at the same time it would probably be cheaper per unit.
,,But then you'd need a 3rd to cover the down time.
Hang on if you had 3 to send at the same time it would be even cheaper per unit.
,,But,,,

Some clever person on here could build their own calibration set up.

You’re looking at a force of Newtons, at a distance of a metre from the turning axis.
So say 2Nm is 2 Newton’s, 1m away, or 1N, 2m away.

If you turn the pivot with your torque tool, if it lifts, you’re over.... if it clicks back down, you’re under....

The thing with calibration is there must be something to adjust if the equipment is out to bring it back to accuracy. How do you adjust a torque driver, for example?

A lot of people consider an EICR expensive but MFT's aare expensive and have to be calibrated etc which all adds to the cost.
The calibration companies have equipment that needs calibrating and UKAS assessments which all adds to the cost

So it's bite the bullet and pay to recalibrate or speak to the manufacturer to see if they do a lower cost calibration or have a trade in option against a new unit

So if it takes 2 - 3 days or more to get it recalibrated you have 2 - 3 days or more of downtime where you cannot install or repair kit by buying a new one there is no downtime, alternatively buying a second one and recalibrating your existing one when the second on needs recalibrating you can swap over and there is zero downtime for calibration
I appreciate that calibration costs money, overheads etc. Just feels like everyone wants money at the minute, I seem to be constantly paying out with little to show for it.

It looks like I'll be getting a new driver, leaving my old one for a few months then calibrating that one so I have a decent time frame between them.

Some bright park in the telecoms industry has decided a new network operators passport scheme is a good idea, one card to show we have the required qualifications to be working on site. A bit like the CSCS card system, which we alreadyy have to have for a lot of customers. the NOPS card is ÂŁ35 to start off with then ÂŁ6 a time to upadte any qualifcations, bearing in mind some are annually such as asbestos awareness, manual handling etc, the costs soon add up. My annual training bill is the thick end of ÂŁ200.

That job in the big orange shed selling hammers to old ladies is looking better every day...

I'm a Yorkshireman, I hate spending money.

Reply to Torque Screwdriver Calibration Company? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net