Discuss TradesCollege.org electrical training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi

I had a similar experience to the above. I like the way they describe the course but am also sceptical about the lack of reviews, companies house listing and written information. Would be very interested to hear from anyone that have used them.

Hi there,

I had a webcam interview with someone that represents this college and I must say it was all very unorthodox. We spent 50 mins just talking about me and my personal situation and absolutely no information regarding the college or their courses was divulged.

We now have another 'interview' scheduled for next week in which he wants my partner to also be in on the call. I find this all very strange. They're supposedly offering training courses, so why do they need to speak to my partner??

Can anyone shed any light on this organisation? Are they even legit? My cynical mind is screaming out 'SCAM'

I would love to hear from others and their experience.

Thanks
Hi. Had a similar experience today, lots about me and little detail about course, and indeed a call arranged for later this week. Found myself rather dubious about it all hence the research on the net. When I asked about being emailed a prospectus and details of fees I was fobbed off with some twaddle about privacy law requiring face to face contact only (online given the covid situation). None of this rings the right bells.

I have ended up looking at Trades School 4U and Access Training as they were the ones I found that were offering good online solutions during lockdown.

TS4U have a very good web site but I wasn't that impressed when I spoke to them, from my understanding they have smaller groups in their webinars but they don't record and provide access to the webinars. Also no availability until April.

Access training record all of their webinars, provide access to pre recorded webinars from day one. The webinars cover all of the theory and also show ways to practice the practical work at home.
They don't do a very good job of explaining what their course covers on the web site but when speaking to them I think it's more or less the same as TS4U. The person I spoke to at Access was very informative, straight forward and answered all of my questions.

I think TS4U were cheaper but not entirely sure I was comparing apples with apples. For me starting fairly quickly and getting flexibility through access to pre recorded training was very important; the material is available for 3 years from when you start the course and therefore a good reference after the training as well.

I have now started with Access and so far its been good. The instructors have a challenge with the wide variety of people attending the course from people that haven't changed a light fitting to some already working in the trade but in seem to manage this quite well.

For me I am quite an experienced DIY person with a technical background, finding the pace a bit slow but I think this would be the same for any course, the good news is that I am at home and can do a few other things at times.

TS4U have had some negative comments about access to the in house practical part of the course coming up to Christmas and now I assume everyone has had to shut this element down. Access have 130 people attending their webinars with new groups starting once a month, some of these will be watching again having stated in previous months. Therefore when things open up again I would not be surprised if they will also have some challenges, but they do seem quite well organised.

If you are going to do one of these online courses I would highly recommend you make sure that your home broadband system is going to give you a reasonable experience. There were a number of people complaining about poor quality and it was clearly an issue from their end. Not quite sure what to make of it but many of the people complaining were Sky customers, could just be that they have a large customer base or an issue with their service
It's best to have a wired connection to your router and run some tests using a video conference service like zoom.

Everything about this is screaming scam.

i have a hobbie of stringing them along for fun as long as possible. I give them false information and ask loads of aukward question.

it takes a long time for them to give up.

as long as they are attempting to scam me they are not scamming someone else.

I once kept a so called investment company hooked for 3 months. They said they could double my investment in just 2 weeks. I eventually got tired of them and told him I was a scam. He really wasn’t very happy.

I have ended up looking at Trades School 4U and Access Training as they were the ones I found that were offering good online solutions during lockdown.

TS4U have a very good web site but I wasn't that impressed when I spoke to them, from my understanding they have smaller groups in their webinars but they don't record and provide access to the webinars. Also no availability until April.

Access training record all of their webinars, provide access to pre recorded webinars from day one. The webinars cover all of the theory and also show ways to practice the practical work at home.
They don't do a very good job of explaining what their course covers on the web site but when speaking to them I think it's more or less the same as TS4U. The person I spoke to at Access was very informative, straight forward and answered all of my questions.

I think TS4U were cheaper but not entirely sure I was comparing apples with apples. For me starting fairly quickly and getting flexibility through access to pre recorded training was very important; the material is available for 3 years from when you start the course and therefore a good reference after the training as well.

I have now started with Access and so far its been good. The instructors have a challenge with the wide variety of people attending the course from people that haven't changed a light fitting to some already working in the trade but in seem to manage this quite well.

For me I am quite an experienced DIY person with a technical background, finding the pace a bit slow but I think this would be the same for any course, the good news is that I am at home and can do a few other things at times.

TS4U have had some negative comments about access to the in house practical part of the course coming up to Christmas and now I assume everyone has had to shut this element down. Access have 130 people attending their webinars with new groups starting once a month, some of these will be watching again having stated in previous months. Therefore when things open up again I would not be surprised if they will also have some challenges, but they do seem quite well organised.

If you are going to do one of these online courses I would highly recommend you make sure that your home broadband system is going to give you a reasonable experience. There were a number of people complaining about poor quality and it was clearly an issue from their end. Not quite sure what to make of it but many of the people complaining were Sky customers, could just be that they have a large customer base or an issue with their service
It's best to have a wired connection to your router and run some tests using a video conference service like zoom.
Keep us posted on your Access Training experience. I used them about 4 years ago and whilst they served a purpose their organisation and facilities were very poor. There was a real conflict going on between tutors and head office and it took an age to get the C&G certificates after passing the exams. If you search on here you'll probably find some of my earlier posts.

Let us know how it's going with Access...I've shortlisted them!

Hello,

I am also looking to retrain and have also had a video call with Tradescollege (tradescollege.org/tradescollege.co.uk) and they make it sound all so good. It's really strange that they have two websites and not a lot of online presence...
Has anyone actually done ANY course with them??
I also had a call with Access training, who have a lot more online presence, but Tradescollege sounded better to me as they say you can do the NVQ and renewables qualification with them. He also said they have actual sites you do the practical training at so you can add to your portfolio as you study because they are also a building company...?
Is it actually all BS ad a massive scam...it's a lot of money...
Can anyone recommend a reputable good training college in London?

My experience with Access Training has been... Mixed. The tutor in Welwyn Garden City that did part of the online training (due to covid) was excellent, a lovely chap that took his time for even slower and people who really were coming in fresh. Generally the online training was pretty good but it all felt very rushed. It seemed to skim over a lot of stuff in the 18th Edition, though that could be due to being on the "Essentials" course.

I partially completed the in person practical, but had to stop due to a covid scare. I found the demo boards and equipment to be incredibly poor. Pretty much all the threads in the contact screws were stripped to nothing so getting a decent contact was hard work. Most of the screwdrivers were broken or damaged making it even harder and from memory there were no snips, except for those who brought some. The testers were a split, some worked others needed batteries and we ended up having to wait and share them.

The tutor was fine, he was very much hands off though and was of the belief that you had to learn it first hand yourself, personally that works fine with me, I like working that way, but with some of the people who were much newer to all this they really struggled. We also had a bit of a disagreement about, uh politics, but honestly I probably shouldn't have continued on from what was a passing comment. So i'll take that one.

Overall the most concerning thing to me is I cannot find anywhere WHAT their qualifications are equivalent too, and im starting to wonder if they are at all and if its just marketing hype? They MENTION C&G only as a symbol on their website and I can't find where they say what each course is compared too. This honestly makes me nervous that potential employee's will accept their qualifications at all. Though I am waiting to hear back on this.

Though honestly, I am starting to feel like I might have wasted my money here :/

Basically these training providers are able to log you on to the genuine G&G exam portals. The exams you take are genuine. The issue I have is that I get the impression that City & Guilds do not appear to closely scrutinise training providers that offer courses for their exams. Certainly, with 2382, the wiring regs exam, all you need to do is buy a copy of the regs, do some free practice exam questions learn how to navigate it and then book the exam at a local college for a fraction of the cost. Access Training, in my experience, did have some, ok, tutors, who were time served sparks but with some of the basic maths theory elements they were very lacking and quite often confused students who were not confident in basic manipulation of equations but then I have that with some college tutors on the 2365 dustin evening classes.

Definitely pays to shop around and research what's available. There's a wealth of info on this site. The guy that was calling you is probably from a 3rd party sales team with the sole objective of getting you so cough up the dosh or sign up to a credit agreement.

Basically these training providers are able to log you on to the genuine G&G exam portals. The exams you take are genuine. The issue I have is that I get the impression that City & Guilds do not appear to closely scrutinise training providers that offer courses for their exams. Certainly, with 2382, the wiring regs exam, all you need to do is buy a copy of the regs, do some free practice exam questions learn how to navigate it and then book the exam at a local college for a fraction of the cost. Access Training, in my experience, did have some, ok, tutors, who were time served sparks but with some of the basic maths theory elements they were very lacking and quite often confused students who were not confident in basic manipulation of equations but then I have that with some college tutors on the 2365 dustin evening classes.
Yup just got an email back saying that the qualifications are EAL level 3's, but they can (for a small fee) be converted into C&G's equivalents. Which is a relief.

Here's the details:
EAL Level 3 Award in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings (2393-10)
EAL Level 3 Award in Requirements For Electrical Installations BS 7671:2018 (2382)
LCL Awards Domestic Electrical Installer

Yup just got an email back saying that the qualifications are EAL level 3's, but they can (for a small fee) be converted into C&G's equivalents. Which is a relief.

Here's the details:
EAL Level 3 Award in the Building Regulations for Electrical Installations in Dwellings (2393-10)
EAL Level 3 Award in Requirements For Electrical Installations BS 7671:2018 (2382)
LCL Awards Domestic Electrical Installer
A small fee con you mean

Yes, my partner and I have had one of these video calls for around 2 hrs! Was very wary and stupidly gave my driver licence number and bank account details as they needed to check we could get the 3 year interest free payment option. Didn't give any money over or sign for anything so I'm hoping they can't do anything with the details we have given :( We thought he was a bit pushy and as you have said didn't really take much about the actual training sites just showed a bunch of video's which they could have acquired from anywhere. Have looked at the Trades4U site, for us Coventry is the nearest, and this does look like a professional place and has great reviews for the Coventry site. Will take a look at Access now as a comparison. It is all a bit daunting trying to define what you actually need by way of quaifications. Ideally my hubby just wants to stay on the domestic side but ideally looking to move towards the electric charging point but also the EICR checking, plus the ability to sign off his own work. We gather now that Elecsa is going under the NICEIC umbrella but there seems to be another organisation called Nappit?? Don't know if these folks will be best to get the right direction from, has anyone any experience with Nappit? Thanks for any direction anyone can offer ;)

Yes, my partner and I have had one of these video calls for around 2 hrs! Was very wary and stupidly gave my driver licence number and bank account details as they needed to check we could get the 3 year interest free payment option. Didn't give any money over or sign for anything so I'm hoping they can't do anything with the details we have given :( We thought he was a bit pushy and as you have said didn't really take much about the actual training sites just showed a bunch of video's which they could have acquired from anywhere. Have looked at the Trades4U site, for us Coventry is the nearest, and this does look like a professional place and has great reviews for the Coventry site. Will take a look at Access now as a comparison. It is all a bit daunting trying to define what you actually need by way of quaifications. Ideally my hubby just wants to stay on the domestic side but ideally looking to move towards the electric charging point but also the EICR checking, plus the ability to sign off his own work. We gather now that Elecsa is going under the NICEIC umbrella but there seems to be another organisation called Nappit?? Don't know if these folks will be best to get the right direction from, has anyone any experience with Nappit? Thanks for any direction anyone can offer ;)

What was their reason for wanting driving license number?

Yes, my partner and I have had one of these video calls for around 2 hrs! Was very wary and stupidly gave my driver licence number and bank account details as they needed to check we could get the 3 year interest free payment option.
You have just had your identity stolen, get in touch with your bank and tell them what has happened then confirm your discussion with the bank in writing, with the information you gave they could take a loan out in your name or a higher purchase agreement, I would also get in touch with the DVLA to get a new licence issued.

What was their reason for wanting driving license number?
Well the guy said they needed to be sure we would qualify for the monthly payment plan :( I was caught off guard and didn't think my account number and sort code was an issue and initially didn't think my driver no was an issue either - you put it in the comparison sites - but now I'm really nervous that I've given them enough to scam me in some way ? I'm not sure whether to call my bank or the DVLA and if I'll be held responsible for anything! I didn't give any maiden names/CVC numbers or card numbers but still now I'm anxious about this whole thing. We've decided we're definitely not using these people but we're due to hear back from them again tomorrow!

You have just had your identity stolen, get in touch with your bank and tell them what has happened then confirm your discussion with the bank in writing, with the information you gave they could take a loan out in your name or a higher purchase agreement, I would also get in touch with the DVLA to get a new licence issued.
OMG I was concerned this may be the case, I'm usally really careful about this stuf and didn't think the Licence number could be used for anything (I didn't give any copies of it or anything). However, with all my name address and DOB I am frightened it could be as you have predicted ?

I have just done a 20 minute search and found tradescollege.org, tradescollege.co.uk and Trades College of the United Kingdom are all the same entity. They also have a Facebook page.

There is no way to contact them other than via a web contact form. They are not registered as a limited company. There are no online reviews.
The only reference to an address of an individual is in the privacy policy, along with a company name and number. If you look this up at Companies House, it refers to 2 companies this individual is a sole director of. There are no assets listed to this company.

Very strange indeed.

The problem is that with your Name, Address and all the other details that you have given out a credit account could be set up in your name with a company that is not very detail focused, I really do think you need to contact your bank at the very least.

I have just done a 20 minute search and found tradescollege.org, tradescollege.co.uk and Trades College of the United Kingdom are all the same entity. They also have a Facebook page.

There is no way to contact them other than via a web contact form. They are not registered as a limited company. There are no online reviews.
The only reference to an address of an individual is in the privacy policy, along with a company name and number. If you look this up at Companies House, it refers to 2 companies this individual is a sole director of. There are no assets listed to this company.

Very strange indeed.
Yes, we agree, should have done more research (and usually do) but this salesman hooked in my hubby :( I've spoken wth my bank and they say there should be no issue as i haven't given any card information. Also called ActionFraud. They too think it's ok even with the driving licence number but I will double check that with DVLA tomorrow. The guy is expecting to get an answer tomorrow as to whether or not the hubby wants to do the course, obviously we are now not going with this crowd! At that point, they will ask for a £60 registration fee, which then they would want the card details I expect but we definitely will not be doing that. Having researched hard, it looks like the Trades4U people seem the best route, luckily, our nearest centre is the Coventry one which looks like it has had mostly glowing reviews. Plus they offer a half day taster session for just £25 so looks like that would give a good 'try before you buy' situation ;) Just fingers crossed my identity isn't stolen from the licence slip up ?

Reply to TradesCollege.org electrical training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net