Discuss My plan, to retrain and getting help with experience in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first post and would like to share my thoughts on my plan to retrain. Currently a Network Manager but started out as an CAD Draughtsman, then moved into electronics as pcb layout designer and electronic test engineer. An opening came along via a friend to work as a network cabling installer back in the early days of that era 1996, worked for many years as such on many big projects on sites all over also led a team and trained people new to that trade, having CSCS card IPAF, cabling manufacture accreditations and a fibre termination proficient etc, and what I consider a good grounding of installation work, in all manner of situations. Was also involved in electrical installations and competent with tray, plastic and metal trunking/conduit, uni-strut, some house bashing also. Along the way decided to take up the IT side of things, but feel the calling back to being on the tools and taking the steps to becoming an electrician.

Plan to go down the route of evening doing C&G,s level 2 and 3 first, then NVQ3 and so on. My thoughts are that until I can move from my current role I would like to pick up some experience from a willing electrical company/or electrician either at weekends or in school holidays as i work term time only and then complete the NVQ3.

How likely is it that a company or an electrician would be able to help with me gaining that extra experience, and is the path I,m hoping to take see reasonable based on my past experience?

Thanks all!

I'd say with actual prior experience your chances are good. Seeing more adverts for mature learners now due to unreliability of teenagers, if I was to take on an apprentice I'd be going down that route

Hi all,

My first post and would like to share my thoughts on my plan to retrain. Currently a Network Manager but started out as an CAD Draughtsman, then moved into electronics as pcb layout designer and electronic test engineer. An opening came along via a friend to work as a network cabling installer back in the early days of that era 1996, worked for many years as such on many big projects on sites all over also led a team and trained people new to that trade, having CSCS card IPAF, cabling manufacture accreditations and a fibre termination proficient etc, and what I consider a good grounding of installation work, in all manner of situations. Was also involved in electrical installations and competent with tray, plastic and metal trunking/conduit, uni-strut, some house bashing also. Along the way decided to take up the IT side of things, but feel the calling back to being on the tools and taking the steps to becoming an electrician.

Plan to go down the route of evening doing C&G,s level 2 and 3 first, then NVQ3 and so on. My thoughts are that until I can move from my current role I would like to pick up some experience from a willing electrical company/or electrician either at weekends or in school holidays as i work term time only and then complete the NVQ3.

How likely is it that a company or an electrician would be able to help with me gaining that extra experience, and is the path I,m hoping to take see reasonable based on my past experience?

Thanks all!
Looking at doing that same thing! Just out of curiosity what timescale do you have for becoming a qualified electrician? Also did you rule out 'fast track' training courses due to existing work commitments?

Looking at doing that same thing! Just out of curiosity what timescale do you have for becoming a qualified electrician? Also did you rule out 'fast track' training courses due to existing work commitments?
Hi Rich, I did rule out the fast track as after talking to people who own electrical installations companies, that they would be wary of employing people from the fast track route, not because of the qualification as it will cover the theory ect but of the actual 'real onsite' experience if taking that route.

As for me, I,m already from an installations background also have an ONC in Electronics (helps with the theory), on site etc although from installing network cabling, and some electrical etc. I have been accepted on the level 2 C&G's, and after that year will progress to level 3 with the aim of joining a company at that point as an electricians mate, to help get my portfolio done, after that AM2. I have contacts in the industry which helps, but recommend anyone who wishes to go down this route to contact companies to see if they can help or open doors, they are an approachable industry and really helpful, at least I have found that.

As for timescale it takes what takes, I will study hard, and do what I can to be the best of my ability, but really excited to get started in September.

Hi Rich, I did rule out the fast track as after talking to people who own electrical installations companies, that they would be wary of employing people from the fast track route, not because of the qualification as it will cover the theory ect but of the actual 'real onsite' experience if taking that route.

As for me, I,m already from an installations background also have an ONC in Electronics (helps with the theory), on site etc although from installing network cabling, and some electrical etc. I have been accepted on the level 2 C&G's, and after that year will progress to level 3 with the aim of joining a company at that point as an electricians mate, to help get my portfolio done, after that AM2. I have contacts in the industry which helps, but recommend anyone who wishes to go down this route to contact companies to see if they can help or open doors, they are an approachable industry and really helpful, at least I have found that.

As for timescale it takes what takes, I will study hard, and do what I can to be the best of my ability, but really excited to get started in September.
And are you doing a part time college course? I went along to a college to see about enrolling in a 3 day a week level 2 course. Everyone else was only just out of school! The course was already full and the college guys told me to look at experienced worker qualifications instead, which I later found is really for people who are already working as sparkies but dont have up to date quals. So I am back at square one...

I have HNC in electronic engineering so level 2 would probably be a breeze, but it still costs £1800 and takes up 3 days a week...

And are you doing a part time college course? I went along to a college to see about enrolling in a 3 day a week level 2 course. Everyone else was only just out of school! The course was already full and the college guys told me to look at experienced worker qualifications instead, which I later found is really for people who are already working as sparkies but dont have up to date quals. So I am back at square one...

I have HNC in electronic engineering so level 2 would probably be a breeze, but it still costs £1800 and takes up 3 days a week...

Most training providers insist upon completion of level 2, although this is pointless for many trainees. I wouldn't be put off by age of other students as plently of trainees are older than the parents of school leavers - I'm an adult apprentice in this very situation and it not as bad as you might think. Incidentally, an apprenticeship is one option that didn't require completion of level 2 and also provides a wealth of practical experience and evidence for completion of NVQ.

Look at all available options. Some will be more attractive than others, but weighing up the pros and cons of each might lead you in an unexpected direction.

Reply to My plan, to retrain and getting help with experience in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net