Discuss TradesCollege.org electrical training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Marcus, I don't need any information thanks, but found it strange that you asked for this information prior to the prospective candidate signing up to your course, this rings all sorts of suspicion bells in anyone who knows about identity theft or online fraud.

Wriggle all you like, you asked for this information before the prospective candidate signed up to your course, making them think they had committed themselves, a very hard sell concept on your part.

Marcus, I still don't see why you need driving license number when someone is enquiring.

I decided to back away from them in the end.
*they don’t list where the training centres are... that’s really weir because other professional training centre do.
*didn’t send any documents out or email anything that was discussed over the video call and would only Concentrate on getting me to sign the agreement. (Should be given documents to show how it all works and what to expect & the training school locations)
*the website is shockingly low on basic information. If yo want to know anything it’s ”talk to the sales team”... err you could post basic FAQ on the actual website like every other normal business does.

I’m trained already in electrical but need update regs etc. I was trying to get into renewable sector but they kept talking about plumbing as the renewable sector.... ok so we all know renewable energy is not solely in plumbing and they are starting to sounding very ill informed.

what made me laugh was they said they are trade recognised but everyone I talked to in training trades said they have not heard of them.
also this company will only offer a NVQ... that will NOT get you qualified enough to earn a proper wage. (I have NVQ & C&G in electrical installation... you need C&G to get a full time job
With colleges offering City and Guilds level 2 and 3 courses (without NVQ) a lot of new "electricians" have no practical experience other than building little circuits in the college workshop, there is a need for NVQ's added by accredited training centres. Unfortunately this opens the door for all kinds dodgy scams.

You do not need to check on the financial situation of a prospective student prior to then committing to the course, and why don't you have a contact telephone number?

Everything about this is screaming scam.

i have a hobbie of stringing them along for fun as long as possible. I give them false information and ask loads of aukward question.

it takes a long time for them to give up.

as long as they are attempting to scam me they are not scamming someone else.

I once kept a so called investment company hooked for 3 months. They said they could double my investment in just 2 weeks. I eventually got tired of them and told him I was a scam. He really wasn’t very happy.
I also enjoy engaging with unsolicited calls of any kind. As soon as they take the bait I tell them to hold on and play music while get on with something else. Usually holds them for about 10 minutes or so.

With colleges offering City and Guilds level 2 and 3 courses (without NVQ) a lot of new "electricians" have no practical experience other than building little circuits in the college workshop, there is a need for NVQ's added by accredited training centres. Unfortunately this opens the door for all kinds dodgy scams.
This level 2 and 3 has no credibility as it seems it is applied to most courses to give them some status, all courses should be given some sort of career pathway progression so you start with the core courses and move onto the add on courses like the 2391 as you progress through your training. All the courses these training companies offer only seem to short circuit the proper training without informing them a short circuit is dangerous

The NVQ system is flawed, I know of someone who was turned down for a job because of no NVQ yet at the time she was a level 4 NVQ assessor

Kimmy1307 - did they definitely ask for your driving license details?

This level 2 and 3 has no credibility as it seems it is applied to most courses to give them some status, all courses should be given some sort of career pathway progression so you start with the core courses and move onto the add on courses like the 2391 as you progress through your training. All the courses these training companies offer only seem to short circuit the proper training without informing them a short circuit is dangerous

The NVQ system is flawed, I know of someone who was turned down for a job because of no NVQ yet at the time she was a level 4 NVQ assessor
I quite agree that the NVQ system is flawed, mostly by dodgy assessors. The one you spoke to misrepresented herself because there is no level 4 assessor qualification. Assessors are Level 3 after that an Level 4 Interal Quality Assurer, formerly called Internal Verifier who is responsible for ensuring that the assessment process is thoroughly performed.

I quite agree that the NVQ system is flawed, mostly by dodgy assessors. The one you spoke to misrepresented herself because there is no level 4 assessor qualification. Assessors are Level 3 after that an Level 4 Interal Quality Assurer, formerly called Internal Verifier who is responsible for ensuring that the assessment process is thoroughly performed.
TBH that was what I was told for me NVQ = not very qualified

I'd guess there is no phone number given either because there would not be anyone dedicated to answering it (which wouldn't look good) or they simply don't want people ringing up who might have problems or complaints.

Requiring everyone to be phoned back means you can only talk to the organization if said organization actually want to speak to you.

Does that include the business address and telephone number, or just registration details?

I'm not going to make bold statements when I can not be certain of grey areas that might exist. Personally I tend to avoid conducting business with companies who aren't transparent about where they are located and how I might go about contacting them by phone. Contact forms are all very well, but my experience is that response times can vary from almost instantaneous to never and I don't care for such uncertainty.

I've previously refrained from commenting in this thread, but feel that it's worth adding that I'm someone who is currently in the process of trying to secure training in this industry and my comments above would apply equally to training providers as they do to any other business.

I'm not going to make bold statements when I can not be certain of grey areas that might exist. Personally I tend to avoid conducting business with companies who aren't transparent about where they are located and how I might go about contacting them by phone. Contact forms are all very well, but my experience is that response times can vary from almost instantaneous to never and I don't care for such uncertainty.

I've previously refrained from commenting in this thread, but feel that it's worth adding that I'm someone who is currently in the process of trying to secure training in this industry and my comments above would apply equally to training providers as they do to any other business.
I hope you find the training you need from a decent college at a fair price. There are some.

I hope you find the training you need from a decent college at a fair price. There are some.

Holding out for a local college course in Spetmeber, but that hasn't worked out for two successive years. If this year makes a hattrick, I'll have to resort to a training provider in GB as I'm not getting any younger.

Holding out for a local college course in Spetmeber, but that hasn't worked out for two successive years. If this year makes a hattrick, I'll have to resort to a training provider in GB as I'm not getting any younger.
Don't worry about your age. I came to the UK twenty years ago. I went into a college in middle England and said I wanted to do the Regs. The lady said I need to speak to the trainer. He asked if I had 2330 parts 1 and 2.
I asked what that was and he told me so I said I didn't need that as I was an electrician. He said " You want to be an Electrician so you need etc."
I listed some of my varied experience and asked if he had done any of them. He said no so I told him he "wanted to be an electrician" and walked out.
Came to a London college asked about the Regs and she said £100 so I asked if I needed an interview and she said "no, just come on Tuesday evening "

Point I'm making is know what you want and don't let them up sell courses you don't need

XS training on here seem to get good review and have been around for some time, look in the right hand side bar, I don't know anything about them, just their presence and some previous comments.

Reply to TradesCollege.org electrical training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net