Search the forum,

Discuss Twin and earth in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markb

Just like to know is the white sheathed twin and earth cable with red and black stranded conductors still allowed to be used, if the old fuse box was replaced with a new consumer unit or will the cables need to be changed.

Just like to know is the white sheathed twin and earth cable with red and black stranded conductors still allowed to be used, if the old fuse box was replaced with a new consumer unit or will the cables need to be changed.

You can keep them if they're installed already. If you add new cables you should use the new spec and add a label saying that two colour standards are used in the installation. It's OK to mix the two colours as long as the labelling is done.

Last edited:
Just like to know is the white sheathed twin and earth cable with red and black stranded conductors still allowed to be used, if the old fuse box was replaced with a new consumer unit or will the cables need to be changed.[/QUOT

stranded cable you need to do a rewire!

Cleggys, is that regulatory or just what you'd call good practise? I've never seen any reg that states that stranded cables must be replaced (assuming you're talking 4mm and smaller CSA).

If the existing cable tests ok then they can remain. New additions must be in new cable colours and as steamboatwilly says there must be a warning label on the CU saying two colour standards are being used in the installation.

Markb said it was the white sheathed cable which would have been single copper core!! i thought the stranded type was grey sheathed:confused: are you guys on here saying even if its copper it can not be used any more even if you colour code the red and black with brown and blue? I have stacks of this in my dads garage and he wants me to clear it out next time i am down south :eek: hope its worth money for scrap if i can not use it in any installations anymore.

Use it mate in a house rewire.I cant see a problem with that.

So that would be fine then!!! it will save me a few quid and i be able to give someone a good deal on a rewire:) all legit and tested :p

p.s and mac good luck on a top four finish this season from a happy spurs fan;)

Last edited by a moderator:
So that would be fine then!!! it will save me a few quid and i be able to give someone a good deal on a rewire:) all legit and tested :p

If it was me mate i would use it and get myself some sleeving.There are too many yiddos on the forum now:eek:

give yourself a good deal on the rewire not someone else!

have a read of section 514 of the regs and ref table 51.[page 92]
i'm still reading and trying to decied if you can use the old colours.
as clear as that brown stuff......mud:)

Markb said it was the white sheathed cable which would have been single copper core!! i thought the stranded type was grey sheathed:confused: are you guys on here saying even if its copper it can not be used any more even if you colour code the red and black with brown and blue? I have stacks of this in my dads garage and he wants me to clear it out next time i am down south :eek: hope its worth money for scrap if i can not use it in any installations anymore.

I was always told that you weren't supposed to mark old colours as new colours, due to the " de-neutrafying" of the black that happened when the new colours came in.

So when the 2 are mixed, say in a junction box, old should still be marked with red/black sleeving and new with brown and blue.

It is (i was told) considered bad practice.

What a load of fuss about nothing. You can use any cable you want as long as it meets the correct british standard for its intended load and installation method, it doesnt have to be twin and earth. However it must be correctly identified as was said earlier as there is a tick box on the Install Cert which states "conductors correctly identified" or words to that effect.:)

Just get on with it, i wish i had a stash of old cable i could save myself a fortune.

Cheers.........Howard

Yeah cables a cable at the end of the day i'm not particulary fussed i'm just discussing it, but it does say in appendix 7 old cable shall be marked red for phase black for neutral.
I'd scrap it myself and get new.
I'd be interested to hear what the NIC and other schemes thought.... mainly the NIC.

I'd be interested to hear what the NIC and other schemes thought.... mainly the NIC.

I asked my NIC inspector a couple of years back and he said using old stock cable was just fine as long as I sleeved it. Don't throw the old stuff away but do buy new colours when the old stock has gone. Not sure if that represents the official NIC line but it seems a balanced view :)

Reply to Twin and earth in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net