Discuss Two questions, two answers.........? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

polo1

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all,
two questions, one to settle an "argument", the other for an apprentice's question that I haven't got the (confirmed) answer to at hand...

Q1 - First, a three phase DB, with a three phase 32A supply to a three way switch fuse, which in turn serves a three phase socket outlet. Is the circuit from the DB to the switch fuse classed as a distribution circuit (I say it is)?

Q2 - A BS7671 Amd 3 test question;
" Portable hand-held lamps for use in a confined space should be:
i - supplied from a SELV system
ii - supplied from a PELV system
iii - have a maximum voltage of 110v
iv - have a maximum voltage of 230v"

I'm fairly sure the answer is i) SELV, but I can find this in the Regs.

1. is the circuit fused at DB?if so, then i'd consider it a final circuit from the DB fuse/s. it's similar to fitting a FCU on a single phase, feeding 1 or more sockets.

think the answers are irrelevant to confined space. i'd go with (iii).

1. is the circuit fused at DB?if so, then i'd consider it a final circuit from the DB fuse/s. it's similar to fitting a FCU on a single phase, feeding 1 or more sockets.

think the answers are irrelevant to confined space. i'd go with (iii).
Agree with answer 1
Answer 2 depends on what type of confined space, imo

Agree with answer 1
Answer 2 depends on what type of confined space, imo

Q1 - my answer or Tel's????? BTW the supply from DB to the switch fuse is protected by a 32A mcb.

Q2 - any idea where I can find the answer. As indicated, the question is from a 17th Ed Amd3 exam, so I'm guessing the answer must be in the regs somewhere, I just can't find it!

Thanks fellas.

706.410.3.10 (ii). SELV is specified if the confined space is of metallic (conductive) construction, but the question does not mention the construction.

Q1 - my answer or Tel's????? BTW the supply from DB to the switch fuse is protected by a 32A mcb.

Q2 - any idea where I can find the answer. As indicated, the question is from a 17th Ed Amd3 exam, so I'm guessing the answer must be in the regs somewhere, I just can't find it!

Thanks fellas.
Tels Answer.
Section 706 maybe

Q1 - First, a three phase DB, with a three phase 32A supply to a three way switch fuse, which in turn serves a three phase socket outlet. Is the circuit from the DB to the switch fuse classed as a distribution circuit (I say it is)?

It comes down to whether a three way switched fuse alone is "switchgear"as defined in Part 2.
The definition of "an assembly of main and auxiliary..." to me is more complex and as there is just one IEC60309 switched outlet, I'd say it is a Final circuit.

Reply to Two questions, two answers.........? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net