Search the forum,

Discuss Unusual Cable type in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

craig1000

Hey everyone,
Came across a unusual type of cable today that i have never seen or heard of before & wondered if any light could be shed for me?
Its a mains feed from a meter position in a block of flats & on first glance looks like a 6 or 10 mm 3 core swa but is actually a outer sheaf & no armour with a single core line conductor (red) i would estimate 16mm & then 7 single core neutral conductors (black) i would estimate 1 or 1.5 mm & also 4 strands of uninsulated CPC!

Cheers guys, im sure its not unusual if you have come across it a few times, myself however for the first time, ten years in the game & was like 'HHHHMMM hello then whats this beauty? ' ;-)
I shall also research it now but can you tell ,me its advantages or why it would have been used?

:75:i've never seen the loch ness monster, but that doesn't mean it does not exist.

it must exist because it has relatives. i know, i was married to one of them.

never thought of cable, otherwise i could have scrapped her instead of binning the *****

Use it all the time for sub mains and is so much easier than SWA.

Only where RCD protection is not required though.

4175splitconc.jpg

It maybe OK for the utility companies to use direct buried, but not in general installations. They have their own codes/regulations, whereas electricians follow BS7671. As these cables have no means of mechanical protection, they will need an additional means of mechanical protection, such as being run in a duct when being used in underground installation runs....

Reply to Unusual Cable type in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net