Discuss Velux windows and pv in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Just been out to quote a job and the client is wanting to fill his roof with pv panels and cover 3 velux windows completely. Is it possible to cover all the velux windows? The client said he has had a quote already and they confirmed it was ok to cover them.

It may be worth considering if the Velux units were fitted to comply with Building Regs. If the Velux were installed as a fire exit route in addition to light/ventilation, you could be putting yourself in a very interesting position.

Anyone covering them could be putting themselves at odds with the Building Control people. If you are having the inspector out to approve the install, rather than self certify, you may have a problem.

Personally I would consider this very poor practice. As TonyL states there may be a building reg issue if they are considered as fire exits etc. There's a question on damage to the panel if the velux is opened up as they protrude outwards also. Failing all this its just the general working practice. I certainly would want to look out of a window and see the underside of a panel. The client is just trying to achieve something the roof isn't capable of taking. 4kWp at any cost!

If there is one thing I have learnt in the last 16months of installing PV it's know when to stick to your guns in a professional manner and convey your knowledge to the client. I have and will continue to walk away from potential jobs if I believe the system will not work due to shade or alike or they are asking for an installation that will not fit etc.

Some installers will install at any cost regardless. Lets hope they come back and bite them on the bum!

Why not take them out and re-felt baton and tile over them if they wont be used.
But I would still speak to building control to deal with this matter as I have had to do when I have taken down chimneys in the past.

Reply to Velux windows and pv in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net