Discuss Voltage Indicator and Proving Unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The person selling the Martindale has said he will except £50. Including buying a case and postage in total is £79. Good buy?

Or you could buy the one with a case for £55 + £10 postage.
That one’s open to offers as well.

All these things do is tell you whether something is live or not, and which voltage band it’s in.
The proving units are just something for you to check your tester is still working before and after use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could buy the one with a case for £55 + £10 postage.
That one’s open to offers as well.

All these things do is tell you whether something is live or not, and which voltage band it’s in.
The proving units are just something for you to check your tester is still working before and after use.

I understand what they are for, I am just weighing up pros and cons and whether to buy a nearly new, one from eBay or an online retailer.

I understand what they are for, I am just weighing up pros and cons and whether to buy a nearly new, one from eBay or an online retailer.
I’m just saying that they all do the same, whichever manufacturer you purchase from.
Myself, I have a Fluke T3 which I’ve had for over 15 years.
It needs batteries to function, but not only does it test voltage, it also tests for continuity.
Don’t think it’s classed as an ‘approved tester’, but I’m happy with it.

Never owned a proving unit, only ever used one in a classroom.
If I want to verify my tester is working, I test a known live circuit.

As for buying new or second hand, these sorts of test equipment are pretty robust.
The Martindale unit has been around for years and is known for being pretty robust and reliable.
Socket and See is quite a new company, though I did quite like their basic socket tester when it first came out.
Bit wary of the later models with RCD testing.
Megger have been around for years and their MFTs and Insulation testers are well respected.
Not so sure about their voltage testers, never seen one until very recently.

I’m just saying that they all do the same, whichever manufacturer you purchase from.
Myself, I have a Fluke T3 which I’ve had for over 15 years.
It needs batteries to function, but not only does it test voltage, it also tests for continuity.
Don’t think it’s classed as an ‘approved tester’, but I’m happy with it.

Never owned a proving unit, only ever used one in a classroom.
If I want to verify my tester is working, I test a known live circuit.

As for buying new or second hand, these sorts of test equipment are pretty robust.
The Martindale unit has been around for years and is known for being pretty robust and reliable.
Socket and See is quite a new company, though I did quite like their basic socket tester when it first came out.
Bit wary of the later models with RCD testing.
Megger have been around for years and their MFTs and Insulation testers are well respected.
Not so sure about their voltage testers, never seen one until very recently.

Thanks, the Socket and See are new company It looks similar to the Martindale. I originally gravitated to the Megger, because of the reputation they have with MFT. I will do some research.

AHHHHH who on earth issued those permits ???????
I work at powerstations all over the UK. During outages some of the SAPS are very overworked and on occasions can miss something. As the permits always say, 'check for dead using an approved method before starting work'. it always makes sense!

I work at powerstations all over the UK. During outages some of the SAPS are very overworked and on occasions can miss something. As the permits always say, 'check for dead using an approved method before starting work'. it always makes sense!

I'm not questioning you checking for dead but I would certainly question someone issuing a permit that ambiguous. What if the permit was issued to someone non electrical. Surely a P.T.W is to say something is isolated and safe to work on ?

I'm not questioning you checking for dead but I would certainly question someone issuing a permit that ambiguous. What if the permit was issued to someone non electrical. Surely a P.T.W is to say something is isolated and safe to work on ?

I've had something similar happen to me whilst working in the quarries. @ruston will have definitely worked on the same.

The face machines (NAVIs) were powered by 3.3KV on a long trailing lead.

Every so often along these leads there was a fixed pit with copper bars inside, to extend or reduce as necessary. On on of the PM jobs, I took the metal lid off one of these pits to reveal the bars. Permit said dead and isolated. I threw a spanner across the bars (not sure why I did it that day). Enormous flash later, those bars were still live, nothing left of the 21mm spanner.

If I'd have made a mess lifting the lid, dropped it, not thrown the spanner 100% I would not be alive today. Since then, I never fully trust permits, until I have seen evidence myself.

I've had something similar happen to me whilst working in the quarries. @ruston will have definitely worked on the same.

The face machines (NAVIs) were powered by 3.3KV on a long trailing lead.

Every so often along these leads there was a fixed pit with copper bars inside, to extend or reduce as necessary. On on of the PM jobs, I took the metal lid off one of these pits to reveal the bars. Permit said dead and isolated. I threw a spanner across the bars (not sure why I did it that day). Enormous flash later, those bars were still live, nothing left of the 21mm spanner.

If I'd have made a mess lifting the lid, dropped it, not thrown the spanner 100% I would not be alive today. Since then, I never fully trust permits, until I have seen evidence myself.

When I issue a permit I go through the isolation procedure with whomever I'm issuing it to, the final part of this will be to touch the conductors myself. If your not willing to touch them why expect someone else to.

Should add to that though Rob I went to work in a quarry once (through an agency)only lasted two days as I felt my life expectancy had dramatically decreased due to the very obvious lack of any safety measures. About four months later three blokes were killed there. Not through an electrical fault but through a bucket falling on them due to lack of proper maintenance on the bucket and the fact that people should not of been working under moving buckets.

Last edited:
Should add to that though Rob I went to work in a quarry once (through an agency)only lasted two days as I felt my life expectancy had dramatically decreased due to the very obvious lack of any safety measures. About four months later three blokes were killed there. Not through an electrical fault but through a bucket falling on them due to lack of proper maintenance on the bucket and the fact that people should of been working under moving buckets.

At the time of me working in quarries, I think statistically it was the most dangerous place to work, with respect to fatal injuries. More so than the army etc..

Still, I did a good 14 or 15 years there.

There was a few fatalities whilst I was on site there, none electrical related. Unfortunately I witnessed 1 first hand, poor b"astard had retired, an come back in just to help on a shut down.

We had a lot of fatal accidents too, but as you say non of them electrically related .
I was involved in a fatality too, a banksman crushed by D8 dozer on a machine I was on.
These were the size of the largest machines buckets.
This is a on a walking dragline in excess of 3000 tons.
This is a stock picture from an adjacent site from ours .
Ace of Spades or, Chevington Lady.
They all had names lol.

Attachments

• Voltage Indicator and Proving Unit image008 - EletriciansForums.net
    image008.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 13

Reply to Voltage Indicator and Proving Unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock