Discuss Voltage measured when breaker is off in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi ther

I'm fitting a new IKEA kitchen for my father and have insta Ed a new cooker switch. When testing with cooker breaker off I was sill seeing 9.6v on my multimeter. As I individually switched other breakers off I saw the voltage decrease witheach breaker till i switched off the main breaker and got 0 volts. The sockets beaker next to the cooker breaker was responsible for about 7 volts of the 9.6v. This seems strange and wrong to me - can anyone offer some advise on this?

Apologies for all the typos above but it is murder trying to type when you can't see what your typing. Must be my tablet/browser settings as all I can see when typing is constant requests for push notifications! Anyway if my question is understood then any advise will be gratefully received

First of all, what were you measuring between? L-N, L-E?

Also, your multimeter, if it’s just a hobby type, it won’t have the required accuracy that our professional test equipment has.
9 volts over 240 is probably a normal margin of error.

I was measuring between L-N using a fluke clamp meter type (I don't know the model as I've left it up there). It's true RMS and is a good one

The tester you're using has a very high imput impedance which makes it very sensitive. The 9.6 volts you're seeing is a voltage that's being capacitively coupled into the disconnected circuit by other live circuits that are in close proximity to it. It's commonly referred to as a ghost voltage or phantom voltage or stray voltage.

Some tester manufacturers sell an 'add-on' device for their testers that lowers the input impedance and therefore eliminates ghost voltages from being displayed. Some tester have a 'low impedance' mode or 'Lo-Z' mode built into them which does the same thing.

Bottom line is you're actually using the wrong type of tester to prove a circuit is dead. I think it's GS38 in the UK that outlines suitable test equipment...maybe one of the UK members will confirm.

Littlespark and Marvo many thanks for your kind advise. I have heard of phantom voltage readings but I was worried that this was a sign of a faulty breaker hence I came here for expert advise. I'm reassured so cheers

I'll do a wee tounge test between L-N tomorrow just to prove the phantom voltage!

Only joking!

Cheers!

Reply to Voltage measured when breaker is off in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net