Discuss Wall socket cable length? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey there,

I'll be building an electrical socket on the other side of the room. While passing a wire through the wall I wonder, does length affect socket safety? Would a long cable going through a 2m long wall need to be protected in anyway to make it safer?

The wall is finished so I'll need to pass in a cable from one socket to the other.

Thanks

Is this the same socket you were going to wire up with the white flex?

No, this is a different one. I've got a socket in one side of the kitchen and wanted to install another on the same wall, but about 2m away in the same room.

What sort of cable are you using for it?

is the sockets RCD protected.
No, standard socket. Here is a picture:

1674484337966.png

That's a good sign, you have RCD protection. How confident are you that you can determine whether the socket is on an RFC, or a radial, or whether it's a spur from another socket?

Do you have test equipment?

Edit, Buzz's advice is good - if you aren't sure about things such as cable types and how to install them then I would also say get an electrician in to do this.

That's a good sign, you have RCD protection. How confident are you that you can determine whether the socket is on an RFC, or a radial, or whether it's a spur from another socket?

I know how to determine if a socket is a spur socket. I'll only make this one a spur if I verify that the original one is not.

But I don't have test equipment.

I know how to determine if a socket is a spur socket. I'll only make this one a spur if I verify that the original one is not.

But I don't have test equipment.

Is it an RFC or radial?

Edit, Buzz's advice is good - if you aren't sure about things such as cable types and how to install them then I would also say get an electrician in to do this.
My main doubt is wether me putting a 2.5mm2 T&E cable from one socket to the other through 2m of wall would be a problem?

My main doubt is wether me putting a 2.5mm2 T&E cable from one socket to the other through 2m of wall would be a problem?

Not sure I fully understand the question. A 2m run of T&E shouldn't be a problem no.

Not sure I fully understand the question. A 2m run of T&E shouldn't be a problem no.

Have you got any photos - what is it about this that concerns you? I'm just concerned I've missed something.

Have you got any photos - what is it about this that concerns you? I'm just concerned I've missed something.
I don't know, I get a sense that cables going through long stretches of walls should be pined or stuck somewhere, along studs. I don't know if cables dangling within walls is the way to go.

I don't know, I get a sense that cables going through long stretches of walls should be pined or stuck somewhere, along studs. I don't know if cables dangling within walls is the way to go.

What is the wall made of? It's pretty unusual to have a 2m long empty void in a wall that would allow the cable to dangle.

When running a T&E cable within walls it needs to be run within the defined safe zones for running cables, it can't just be run anywhere that seems convenient.

Reply to Wall socket cable length? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net