Discuss water ingress ryefield boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

just been to a block of flats with 2 phases down after a water tank burst and flooded 2 ryefields. leak has been fixed, boards dried but still have a dead short on LE on both phases. EDF man suggests putting all flats on 1 phase...there are approx. 50 flats so can see this causing more problems. where do I stand with this? I cant leave until I find exact cause or where more water may have got in, a lot of pressure to get it on ASAP. anyone else had problems when water gets into ryefields and all the hell that goes with it lol

That's going to be a can of worms opened. What DNO area of the of the UK is it in? Have the DNO admitted that the own the board? If they have get them to change it as its damaged, if not and they are saying its part of the BNO network then it could be a long struggle to find who actually is liable for the cost of replacing it. Most likely the person responible for the BNO (building network operator) doesn't know they own this equipment.

You first need to ascertain, on which side of the Ryefield fuses does the problem exist. If two Ryefield panels are down it is more likely (but by no means certain) to be on the supply side. Get your test equipment out and start narrowing things down till you find your culprit....

The boards are shagged ...the water will have caused arcing and tracking which in turn will have carbonised a path leaving a short circuit even after its dried out, its usually the insulators that get effected like this, as above you need to establish who owns what.

I’m glad you two never worked with me. I’ve had them filled with coal slurry and various other nasties. Hose them out, clean and dry out and then test and repair.

As E54 said, it looks like a common fault to both boards, it’s time to look towards the supply.

Some photo's of the setup would help with sugestions

OP said leak sorted and boards been dried out already this would leave the assumption that either this info is incorrect and there's still water/moisture present or we have compromised insulation barriers/mounts. Seen it many times where there is tracking from the busbar over the insulator mounts or dividers.

If the OP is competent in testing which we have to assume then he will have already established the issue lies within the Ryefield boards and not feedback from anything he may have overlooked.

Thats as I read it anyway... will have to wait for more feedback if he is kind enough to do so.

DW, I’ve yet to have a board I couldn’t repair. Even arcing across insulators is fixable by gouging out the carbon track and then varnishing or building up with epoxy. Sometimes I’ve resorted to making insulators.

The OP needs to test and localise the fault, then closely inspect and repair if he’s capable.

“Change the board” would be a last resort. Lead time for a spare precludes that.

DW, I’ve yet to have a board I couldn’t repair. Even arcing across insulators is fixable by gouging out the carbon track and then varnishing or building up with epoxy. Sometimes I’ve resorted to making insulators.

The OP needs to test and localise the fault, then closely inspect and repair if he’s capable.

“Change the board” would be a last resort. Lead time for a spare precludes that.

I've done the gouging before myself and repaired as well as a temp' solution and posted the Pics on here, yes you make a good point with the lead time but if off the shelf available I'd swap the guts, repair the old fit them in the new enclosure and wait for a job ... business is business and who can't look at a freebie :icon12:.

Problem with trying to repair in such a manor is you have to be thorough and also aware the material is often carcinogenic when sanding/grinding it out, but because the manor in which it became carbonised it can have traits of a hydroscopic material and although you successfully repair it and test it (using a mega) it can break down again over time as it absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, a big issue where large temperature variances are common over any given period.. so Ill agree to disagree here and yes see your point but either replace the damage with new or change the lot is my practice otherwise its a game of chance if not done correctly and factoring the OP's experienced I opted for the easier solution in advice.

Last edited:
We’ll never agree on this because I’ve never been in nor will I ever be in the “replace it” camp.

If I repair something I’ll put my name on it.

If I repair something I'll put my name on it.

And you can't be fairer than that!! lol!!

Trouble is, how many of these new electricians coming in to the trade these days would have any idea how to go about making such repairs??

Let' not even think about having a non descript electrical trainee working anywhere near such an installation in the first place!!

Ill second E54 in reply too ...but only comment to add is this is OK inhouse for a company but for a call out Engineer like myself who caters for all- then to get insured fully its sometimes the safer option to replace because thats the way to protect your arse better, most gear now would not warrant any alterations or repair work and if the doodoo ever hit the fan its about ensuring your not in a quagmire of crap trying to claim for a modification/repair that may have failed.

Thanks for the replies lads, sorry I haven't updated, had a manic week. Managed to find the leg of the supply cables that had the dead short on it.
so after much hair pulling we had a stroke of luck when a resident mentioned an old access panel that had been boarded and plastered over many years ago and it may be worth having a look in there. Anyway, found an old ryefield In there with all phases connected but no supplies to any flats where they must have moved it but rather than renew cable just took supply from it for board 6 foot above. Was completely immersed in water.
one hell of a crap Saturday night/morning lol

Reply to water ingress ryefield boards in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net