Discuss What do you think in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm a leasholder and my council have decided to change my perfectly good fp 200 clipped lights to the below.
Metal conduit all round my door??
What do you think??
Saddles not screwed to the roof?
Tee boxes not fixed properly

Thr boxes not fixed.

Add insult, this roof is an asbestos roof??
Didn't tell me they were carrying out the work and the conduit is held up by red wall plugs only.

Apprently asbestos company drilled holes but left it a mess and did not fit inserts in th3 hole and the electricans followed behind after and banged in the red wall plugs.

Been told it is an ok installation and can't see any problem with it by council.
Thoughts from fellow electrcians??

Matty

Attachments

• 20200115_143713.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 20200116_001606.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 20200116_001640.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 136
  • 20200116_001513.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 137
  • 20200206_103025.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 136
I'm a leasholder and my council have decided to change my perfectly good fp 200 clipped lights to the below.
Metal conduit all round my door??
What do you think??
Saddles not screwed to the roof?
Tee boxes not fixed properly

Thr boxes not fixed.

Add insult, this roof is an asbestos roof??
Didn't tell me they were carrying out the work and the conduit is held up by red wall plugs only.

Apprently asbestos company drilled holes but left it a mess and did not fit inserts in th3 hole and the electricans followed behind after and banged in the red wall plugs.

Been told it is an ok installation and can't see any problem with it by council.
Thoughts from fellow electrcians??

Matty
Council Sparky used Hospital saddles, quite why I 'm not sore, maybe to avoid making entery sets into the boxes, mind you the FP bend shown is a trifle tight.

Oh dear and that is better how exactly! Why have they used hospital saddles when spacer bar would have been much better and they can't of been any good with bending it or the boxes would be flush with the wall!
There was a time when the councils used to do a good job. Now it's all about budget and no one gives a rats as they get paid and a massive bonus regardless of how carp the job is!
Fp on metal p clips is adequate in my opinion even if they had just put in some extra fixings with wall dogs would have been better that that! Tell them to go away and come back when they have the required skills!!

Looks more like distance saddles as opposed to hospital saddles.

Not the best job in the world but not the worst either imo, bit too many saddles and the bend could've been better.

Whoever did that isn't an experienced conduit installer. It's disgraceful and another carp conduit installation, just not required. Even done well, it would look pathetic.
BRING BACK PYRO!!!!!
Besides all the other things, what about 1/4'' thread showing. Less and less 'tradesmen' show pride in their work or standards.
Then there's the asbestos issue.
They are distance/stand off saddles, I use nothing else...…...but the 'distances' between are just crazy. Bleedin amateurs!....
[automerge]1581283943[/automerge]
That number 7 on the door would annoy me.
It should be 666...….with that devil's work.

Last edited:
Also , Tell me that simply didn’t just disconnect the old drum fitting and leave it along with all the old clipped wiring in situ....?

Wowzers that was installed by someone who has never worked with steel conduit before. Exposed threads, terrible bends, were they so weak that they couldn't tighten the fixing screws? Looks like it would fall off of the ceiling if it wasn't for the wall mounted part. Perhaps it was the same installer that did the kitchen sockets in the other thread.
[automerge]1581284908[/automerge]
Then there's the asbestos issue
I did wonder if that was asbestos or plywood.

If it were my flat , I would take all the conduit down sell it to the scrap man and reinstate the old light with some clipped flex....

Yes and I've been in this game for 20 plus years. Council want to bill me 5 grand for this.
Asbestos roof and just drilled holes into it and then fixed it all up with red wall plugs,
Building company couldn't see anything wrong with it.
There words were. Red wall plugs are a suitable fixing.
My reply was until it false down,

Thought if give you guys a good look laugh

wrap a string of Xmas lights round it. the conduit acts as a separator between band I and Band II.

That can't be be right, surely the £5k must include other things as well.

Reply to What do you think in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net