Discuss What has happened to the trade? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

the above posts just serve to highlight why i only work in the commercial / construction sector - you simply dont get on site without a JIB gold card for 95% of contracts which keeps the chancers , clueless & fast track brigade firmly at the gates.

Personally I think a lot of the seemingly basic questions asked on here by electricians (?) are simply asked in the wrong way.If a guy comes on here and honestly states his background and lack of experience and then asks a 'basic' question I dont have a problem with that,nor does anyone else it seems to me. All too often though they reel off a list of qualifications and big themselves up and then ask why an RCD is tripping.....no wonder they get abuse on here.
It also appears to me rightly or wrongly that many short course merchants (I assume?) bursting with knowledge seem to regard themselves as the electrical police,and usually come on here with tales of appallingly dangerous work by John Wayne and his posse that they have had to put right....only trouble is they dont actually know how it should be done and have to ask on here....so how do they know it's dangerous in the first place?

I have never seen the trade so low or undervalued and would add that sadly this forum appears to reflect it. To make matters worse seem to have a selfish attitude where if you hand out any help you dont even get a thanks or the OP coming back to say how the problem was resolved I got a PM a couple of weeks ago asking for a alarm manual fine I sent it but not holding my breath waiting for a thank you.

To sum up there is no respect and your right getting a bit fed up with the chancers who wont buy decent kit to do a job yet when they are on a job sh!tting themselves they whip out a £500 I-Phone to get the answer or in other words why bark if you have a dog and yes no doubt you have heard this from me before but my feeling are is at times I am wasting my time so after Friday me thinks I need a break from this forum for a while.

Sorry to pee on your thread,but you have to blame the death rate caused by faulty electrical installations
It just isn't high enough for a sympathetic hearing

If it ever was to get a lot lot higher, then there would be possibility of action
Possible but not probable
That is why the EICR is a waste of time people ringing you up can you do 4 a day or ones that are done without even looking , I did an inspection yesterday for a landlady the tenant told me 3 hours the last guy was only here for 5 minuets' !!! be honest its all about making money get in quick and get out

It's a sad state of affairs but I totally agree with you. It's the reason Part P has been watered down. The sooner ALL the associations combine the bigger the voice we will all have, I think.
Dave

Have seen a post about some one worrying about failing am2 because of a few things like not having time before the inspection to pin some sockets back and clip a cable. I know that if this was in a house and they where going to leave it like this then it would be an issue but if they fail the test because of the time of the inspection then this is not fair. and it shows that people who may be fully competent may fail tests because of a few minor things that may be to do with timing of tests ect where as possibly people who should not be doing the work can brag there way through.

Have seen a post about some one worrying about failing am2 because of a few things like not having time before the inspection to pin some sockets back and clip a cable. I know that if this was in a house and they where going to leave it like this then it would be an issue but if they fail the test because of the time of the inspection then this is not fair. and it shows that people who may be fully competent may fail tests because of a few minor things that may be to do with timing of tests ect where as possibly people who should not be doing the work can brag there way through.
It all depends,these exams are timed so that a person up to the correct standard can complete it within the allotted time,sometimes people are slow because they either don,t fully understand what they are doing or they just don't have the level of skill. I once worked with a young lad who was painfully slow,he also kept checking and rechecking his work.I've known him remove a fused spur 3 times to check he'd wired it correctly,The same lad drove 30 miles back to a job once as he wasn't sure he'd connected something up correctly,despite having repeatedly checked it during the day.I know we all have our off days but when someone is that uncertain they should not be doing the job.

It all depends,these exams are timed so that a person up to the correct standard can complete it within the allotted time,sometimes people are slow because they either don,t fully understand what they are doing or they just don't have the level of skill. I once worked with a young lad who was painfully slow,he also kept checking and rechecking his work.I've known him remove a fused spur 3 times to check he'd wired it correctly,The same lad drove 30 miles back to a job once as he wasn't sure he'd connected something up correctly,despite having repeatedly checked it during the day.I know we all have our off days but when someone is that uncertain they should not be doing the job.

That's true.

I try and stay clear of non-electrical talk but this sort of thread does seem to do the rounds quite a bit. Electrical Trainee are useless, what a sad state of affairs electrics is in... and so on.

I'm not sure what this kind of talk really achieves, I realise that people need to let off steam and have a good old moan but it doesn't change anything. If you feel that strongly about it then write to your MP demanding change. Tell all your electrician friends to do the same and maybe even start up some kind of web page or facebook petition! If you dont feel that strongly then I guess we'll have few more of these threads.

I am a Domestic Installer, I do a good job, I follow the regulations (99% of the time, perhaps 98!) and I dont charge peanuts.

I was fed up with my main job (nurse) and I made a change at age 40 and it feels great. If you are not happy with the electrical industry then make a change in your life, its risky and scary but probably worth it. Perhaps a plumber? :wink5:

Sorry pal but what a load of tosh. Either someone is an electrician or they aren't in my eyes. This so called domestic installer rubbish is sadly a front for some people with limited skills and with no apprenticeship behind them. Obviously there are many good electricians working as 'domestic installers' for personal reasons but sadly too many chancers involved who not only put themselves in danger but also the general public.

Sorry pal but what a load of tosh. Either someone is an electrician or they aren't in my eyes. This so called domestic installer rubbish is sadly a front for some people with limited skills and with no apprenticeship behind them. Obviously there are many good electricians working as 'domestic installers' for personal reasons but sadly too many chancers involved who not only put themselves in danger but also the general public.

So what do you plan to do about it?

Maybes become a nurse:) then I can ask the chancers why they didnt train properly as im looking after them. Wonder if theres a short course for nursing? I could even be a nurse but all I do is change beds. A bed sheet installer.

Maybes become a nurse:) then I can ask the chancers why they didnt train properly as im looking after them. Wonder if theres a short course for nursing? I could even be a nurse but all I do is change beds. A bed sheet installer.

I was tempted to 'like' that post Baldy as it sounds good natured, but I just haven't a clue what it means! :smiley2:

Yes.... there is a short course for nursing!

I think they could prevent most the problems by simply increasing the quals needed to join one of the schemes. Elecsa as a minimum you only need 17th edition, thats a 1 day course. I have not got a problem with part p, its elecsa, nic etc that are to blame as in my eyes they make it too easy for people to join them.
On the other hand a trained monkey could do most domestic tasks.

I employ a Electrical Trainee and he is **** hot he has been with me for almost 2 years and I have completely reprogrammed him. I don't agree with short courses but I vaguely remember not learning too much at college either and I did the long course.

Tell all your electrician friends to do the same and maybe even start up some kind of web page or facebook petition!

Or maybe an ELECTRICIANS FORUM????

Boydy

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is food for thought
icon7.png
You never know,us older ones may start forgetting a lot of what we were taught,aghh

Could we become the future 5wws,this time with reversed polarity,we could even be hawked out before we get to become 1 dayers
icon14.png
icon7.png

Reply to What has happened to the trade? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net