Discuss what is the worst cable you have stripped? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
stripped some about 5 X 5pair version of this

FFBUS-16.png

swa is fine, the stuff we stripped though was like the one about but it took longer to get rid of the screen because it was tapped as well than the strip and terminate the gland

can't find a picture of the cable as they were existing so i don't know exactly what they were (control wiring)

it had a blue sheath though

LSF, bloody hate stuff. Working in Shopfitting I work with it far too often.

Yep, the amount of times I've nearly given myself a black eye stripping lsf, specially on a chilly day!

The worst cable I've had to do though is exactly as brightspark says, SWA where the insulation was stuck to the cores and it was a bleedin' mare to strip it all off. It was all made off in trunking as well so I had to strip a fair few feet of it back and all!

Yep, the amount of times I've nearly given myself a black eye stripping lsf, specially on a chilly day!

The worst cable I've had to do though is exactly as brightspark says, SWA where the insulation was stuck to the cores and it was a bleedin' mare to strip it all off. It was all made off in trunking as well so I had to strip a fair few feet of it back and all!

The stuff today was horrible.

5 pair swa with screen around each pair.

Then another screen around the lot with a lot of tape that snaps when you try to take it off.

Then a pvc layer before steel then a blue layer.

Worst I can remember was a 19 core 1.5mm pyro that had to be stripped 1200mm to get into a BMS panel.

When mr.electrician installs the ring-main with absolutley no-slack ... cables get fried, sorry sir i can't just replace the socket, and yes the IR is good now the bad bits are chopped out ... but you still need it re-wired...that's the worst, stripping the cable of its dead ends knowing fine well it's going to be pointless.

Big SWA on a cold day, yep. And then on the other side of the scale ... FP200 - you need a brain surgeons touch not too damage the inside cores...or maybe i can be too rough handed at times lol

When the wholesaler gets a bad batch of T+E aswell, like cutting into a brick.

VIR/cloth/ rubber crap in old conduit, never intentional to strip it though, as soon as the accessory is moved the cable is written off

Have also stripped SWA which would not come away from the armour and smelt like cat ****

and SY flex.....which is just crap

10mm 3 core pyro, damaged due to industrial kitchen fitters. Came out of a piece of 25mm conduit, presumably protecting it as it came out of the concrete floor. One core had snapped off at the pot/disc, another hanging on by a thread. About a foot of cable to work with. After about a couple of hours trying to re strip and pot, the cable ruptured where it came out of the conduit.
Thankfully, it was a job trying to rescue other peoples cock ups and I got the job of replacing the supply with swa, fed from above.

SWA with that sellotape plastic between the cores and the PVC sheath under the armour...horrid stuff
especially with Niglon glands...I hate those things with a living passion...stupid design, try to tighten, cores pop out due to no lock ring.thrown a few supplied ones away and replaced with tower glands...

Old pyro I hate too, especially when a socket has been in and out in and out 10 dozen times before...

H05RR-F...not too bad to strip but don't like the smell

A armoured cable that had no outer sheath and was frozen solid

The cable may in fact have been easy to strip, I will never know, but my frozen pinkies told me it was a nightmare
I learned from the experience,I decided I never wanted to become a cable jointer in Siberia

Remember doing a couple of bootlace SWA's into isolators in Prague during the winter. Was -23 and a total pain fingers were numb after a minute.

Well I must admit working in Praha for 8 months was fun lol

Probably the "fiddlyist" (is that a word) I have done was 3 cables each with 7 x 7 cores (total of 147 cores) made off into high density Harting plugs. I hated having to fit the spare to a machine as I knew it would take me the next 2-3 shifts to make a new one!.

pulling an IS machine controller cable and pinning it in the connector
1 inch thick cable of 50 conductors
a beast to pull through raceway as it very heavy

Last edited:

Reply to what is the worst cable you have stripped? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net