Discuss what is the worst cable you have stripped? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Never had a problem with large SWA’s in cold weather. Helps having always worked on kilns and furnaces, just roll the drum under the kiln for a day or so.
My big bugbear was as others have said, no French chalk and the serving stuck to the insulation/armourings/cores/its self on the drum. Had it on all kinds of cable and can’t point to one particular manufacturer, all seemed to have off days.

Had one that really confused me. My mate and I had made the supply off to a MCC everything OK, went to the switchgear stripped the outer serving and armours off, at that point we both got very confused. Went back to the panel the inner serving was extruded, back to the switchgear it was taped ? ? ? ?
We had run a few cables the same size, must have got them mixed up somehow. Did a few quick tests, we’d got the right cable. All the cables had come off the same drum, some were taped some extruded.
I do remember who supplied this cable, BICC. Phoned them up with the batch number, “Oh that’s where it went. You shouldn’t have got that.”
It seems they can swap servings without stopping the line, we copped out for the bit in the middle. It tested OK so it stayed in.
That’s going back some time, it was just before I came out of my time.

Lsf. I have given myself black eyes, cuts to eyebrow forehead many times!! You bleed more when its cold.

Have had a few t+e with no powder in so sheath stuck solid. All swa's have been good

Double steel tape armoured cable, that stuff top's anything that's been mentioned here so far!! lol!!
I'm surprised that Tony didn't bring it up in his post above?

That steel tape can be like sprung steel, i defy anyone stripping/terminating that cable not to cut their hands to ribbons. Single steel tape cables were/are bad enough, but the double steel tape cables are an absolute nightmare. Thankfully you don't see them much any more, but are still produced for locations where additional mechanical protection warrants their use. That would mainly be in heavy industry situations...

35mm 4 core LSF armoured I did the other week tops my list, been sat outside for a week so was solid then the outer sheath stuck to the armour, inner sheath took some getting off too then there was the plastic crap aswell, had to strip 3m then fight getting it over the containment and into the trunking

oh and then after that there was 30 rings all in LSF twin to put away into the power side of the board

Reply to what is the worst cable you have stripped? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net