Search for tools and product advice,

Discuss What the worst thing that happened to you as an apprentice Electrical Trainee may not apply =] in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

axel132132

Just a thread to see how everyone was abused as an apprentice lol.. I wants that bad as i sorta made them realized not to do stuff when it first happened due to my back then anger problem..

First thing was one of the guys calls me to come help him in this house (we were doing 3 houses next to each other on street) so i walk towards the house he runs in first an as im walking to the door BIG BUCKET of water straight over my head.. What i did next was bad but like i say i had anger issues.. I launched my lump hammer straight at one of the guys missed him went straight through the window.! Got called in to see boss told him Sack me and i will sue for physical abuse. He soon appologised and made sure no one did anything else like i said i had anger issues back in day!

I heard a story of one guy who worked there got locked in the stores for the whole day! no lights, just had to sit in a dark room all day must of been **** boring lol.. AND another one were someone stole on of the apprentices tools blatantly broke it then just laughed the apprentice got mad.. took his toolbox out of his van, took it into the stores stick like sh!t it to the floor, put a few nice long nails through bottom of box.. Went next door grabbed aload of horse manure and filled his toolbox with all his tools in of horse manure and then padlocked his box.. Lets just say the guy wasn't a happy bunny! Was hilarious tho!

Final prank was one of the guys strapping a great big pink dildo to the top of the other guys van.. BOSS went absolutely mental but was hilarious as the guy didnt realise and was driving around with it on his van all day!

You wouldn't have lasted long when I was serving my time mate, physical abuse was commonplace then and it was something that apprentices were expected to take along with getting a clip when you made a mistake.

Yeah ha i realize that! How times have changed.. that's exactly what my dad used to say how things have changed back when he was an apprentice was the same clip round ear etc nowadays its totally different cant get away with that or people just sue! or fight back, i always had in my head if someone hit me id smack them straight in the face back! Bet back in the day you wouldn't have dreamed of it!

I wouldn't have dared to even consider it Axel, at the time I swore blind that I'd get even when I was out of my time but quickly realised that those clips round the ear did the job of focussing my attention and made me a better spark in the long run. I don't think I ever made the same mistake twice.

i used to get a slap too trev,if ever i had nothing to do the guy made me bend swan-necks on the bender, at the time i hated the bloke, but looking back it made me good on conduit work

Regular tasks for me when we were slack was glanding scrap SWA for practice and dressing scrap pyro, like you said I hated it at the time but it paid dividends

You wouldn't have lasted long when I was serving my time mate, physical abuse was commonplace then and it was something that apprentices were expected to take along with getting a clip when you made a mistake.

Physical abuse? I thought it was written in to our indentures!

I'm a time-served engineer & in engineering it was customary for apprentices to have their balls greased. It was a right of passage, but try doing that today & it would be a case of Good Morning Judge & sign on as a Sex Offender for a few years.

i got a piece of 3x2 threaded through my arms and lifted up on a crane about 80-100 ft then i got taped to a chair in canteen foreman was running round looking for me i got released next break he gave me a right rollicking i rolled with it didnt grass or out thinking id get there respect but no they then nailed me to a pallet following day and lifted me up onto top racking in a warehouse for a day.

i lost a days pay again got a rollicking but i dint buy one drink friday night :)

rrr the good times

I'm a time-served engineer & in engineering it was customary for apprentices to have their balls greased. It was a right of passage, but try doing that today & it would be a case of Good Morning Judge & sign on as a Sex Offender for a few years.

they dont know there born . ive had apprentices that refused to lift a toilet into a skip even with ppe. and i dont mean a nightclub toilet i mean a proud house owner who had cleaned/bleached before we ripped it ou

I'd have them booted off the job.

i got called into the college , apparently i shouldn't expect 17/18 year olds to do such a task . i replied do you know what i was doing when i was 18 - protecting this country . now go forth and multiply <<< i can swear lol

So a 17/18 year old shouldn't be doing that? What a load of utter nonsense, what the hell are they supposed to be doing commissioning the plumbing system?
At that stage in my apprenticeship I was given all the crap jobs to do and was glad to be doing them because I knew it would get better

I would reply to this thread but I'm not allowed to... :rolleyes2:

So a 17/18 year old shouldn't be doing that? What a load of utter nonsense, what the hell are they supposed to be doing commissioning the plumbing system?
At that stage in my apprenticeship I was given all the crap jobs to do and was glad to be doing them because I knew it would get better

seriously back then i went to the first gulf nothing special just filling holes in way back from the action , that was at 18. i simply said during this meeting all your teaching them is to fit a washing machine your doing them no favours. i refuse to take anyone on under 25 now , at 25 + i find they've got debts / mortgages etc so want to work more , more reliable

I don't know what's going on with young lads these days, but there does seem to be a helluvalot who are maybe best described as "sensitive" and "effeminate" . Maybe it's something our glorious government is adding to the drinking water to make the population a bit more compliant??

I don't know what's going on with young lads these days, but there does seem to be a helluvalot who are maybe best described as "sensitive" and "effeminate" . Maybe it's something our glorious government is adding to the drinking water to make the population a bit more compliant??

i think they see what the old school have and thinking it was gifted to us on a plate , like everything in there lifes now. i say this after a falling out with a ex employee moaning that i had vans,staff land rovers and my own own homes what they dont see is for 10 years of the last 14 ive worked every hour god has allowed me ive done jobs i dont want to do, at times and days ive not wanted to bank holidays weekends and its only been in the last few years i can tell customers to accept our terms and conditions or lump it in a nice way

I would respond but I fear my toolbox may get filled with something so horrendous as horse manure... :shout: Too many stories to tell about portaloos, ratchet straps and telehandlers...

Worst humorous...

Didn't have much abuse, being a good sized guy, but I worked with a couple of Sparkies - always trying it on, having a laugh. Drying my hands in the loo when one of them came in, got his old man in one hand and a £10 note in the other, about double my weekly wage, out of shock I flicked the towel at him, didn't mean to hit him but it caught him right on the tip.

It went backwards and forwards like one of those buffer springs in a pinball machine, The screams, God, thought I'd killed him, never got the tenner but the humor became a bit more conventional.

Worst Can't remember......

Cotton mill, electrifying their machinery, weekends only, day work, the longer it took the happier the boss was, 3 sparks, biggest P heads you've ever seen, went to the pub at 12 Saturday, They could drink 10 pints easy, me, 4 pints and it was Monday morning, apparently we did it on Sunday too!

Numerous stories, soaking the headband of my hard hat in engineers blue. (took some scrubbing getting that off). Sleeves of my overalls put in a vices at arms length either side of me and left for a few hours.

Numerous stories, soaking the headband of my hard hat in engineers blue. (took some scrubbing getting that off). Sleeves of my overalls put in a vices at arms length either side of me and left for a few hours.

Yep ..... I've been the victim of the overall-sleeves-in-the-vices trick and been the perpetrator of the Engineers Blue on the black plastic bog seat trick. :devil2:

(it also works well around the earpiece of the old black plastic telephone handsets :wink_smile: )

Reply to What the worst thing that happened to you as an apprentice Electrical Trainee may not apply =] in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net