Discuss What to train as to increase chances of offshore electrical work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Tea123

Just wondering have any Commercial Electricians found work offshore?? or would you need to train in an Industrial environment to stand a chance of finding offshore work.Thanks in Advance!!

At the very least you'd need BOSIET and Compex, probably Atex too so there's 3k gone at least. In the current (no pun intended) economic climate I'd say that employers are going to want sparks with industrial or oil and gas experience so the chances could be slim.
However, nothing ventured nothing gained. What's it going to cost you to get on to the likes of Wood Group to see what their requirements are? A little bit of time.
You never know, you might hit lucky sop go for it mate

Well that's very true if you don't try u will never no..what sort of experience do u have.. U should try onshore work first of all and this will give u a taste of what's to come offshore...I know to guys out in Norway offshore and they say its not all its made out to be.. Long hours lots of bordom and and plenty of **** of supervisors

Cost me 4k to get all Certs etc. Hard to get off to start with. Need to travel a bit and get a lot of compex work on your cv before company's will look at you. 2 weeks offshore is long hours and boring but that's why you do it for the time off and ofcourse the £££££

Ye well that's true the time off is good and the dollars is great. I'm going to do the compex course and try get in with a irish crowd doing onshore first and then c what happens

CompEx covers ATEX directives which are European directives. When adopted in this country they are called DSEAR. I am not sure where you are from Tea123 but during march there is a provider in Cramlington delivering CompEx for £500 + VAT. You can find ALL CompEx centres on JTL website. That's jay tee ell which will probably get blanked out by the sad administrators on this site.

Reply to What to train as to increase chances of offshore electrical work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net