Discuss What work can I do / Advice on next steps in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

MitchStanley

Hi All,

I am looking to find out what I have to do to become a) a domestic electrician, b) Commercial electrician c) registered with a Competent persons scheme d) Part P registered. I am very confused and all advice is welcome.

I have the following qualifications:

> EAL Level 3 Diploma in Electro-Technical services (The equivalent of the C&G Installation course / progression from 2330)
> Level 2 City and guilds 2330
> Advanced Level Apprenticeship in Engineering Manufacture (Electrical and Electronic Engineering).
> EAL Level 3 Extended Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering (Testing Electrical Equipment).

I am booked for the following exams within the next month;
>2382 17th Edition Wiring regs.
>2392 Part P exam

I have been working as a Test Engineer testing Fire Safety and Security products over the last 4 years using Spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes, IR testers, multimeters, etc. Would I really need to do the test and Inspect course? From what I can see in the regs and from peoples certificates all of the tests required are within my comfortable scope. I am also experienced in carrying out domestic electrical work as have been helping out mates etc for extra money over the past few years.

My questions are;

1) What other qualifications/experience do I need to become a practising domestic electrician?
2) From what I have seen on NICEIC and the likes, they require me to work for 12 months first before I talk about registration, does anybody know any 3rd Party Certification bodies around the Sussex and Surrey areas?
3) Any more advice or help for me is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the extensive post,

Gratefully,

Mitch

the 2392 is a waste of time. with the 2382 you can apply to join a scam (scheme). for testing, there is 2394 and 2395. but why would you want tobe a domestic installer? why try and compete in an already saturated market?

I'd say your best bet would be 2330 Level 3 & NVQ3 route, think you have to do the AM2 aswell now but not sure but off the back of that you'll get the 17th edition Automatically.

See my EAL Level 3 In ElectroTechnical services is "apparently" the equivalent of this which NAPIT seems to get when you join a scheme but a lot of people have never hear of it and are looking for C&G quals

best advice is to contact napit or one of the other sharks and ask what they require.

the 2392 is a waste of time. with the 2382 you can apply to join a scam (scheme). for testing, there is 2394 and 2395. but why would you want tobe a domestic installer? why try and compete in an already saturated market?

My idea was to start off with domestics whilst still relatively inexperienced in this field and gain a few customers slowly, then move onto other Markets like Fire Alarm installation (Which I am pretty experienced in) Security, PAT testing and Commercial... I am in no rush to get business quickly as I am currently still working full time and my employer is happy with me going on 4 days a week, then 3 days a week and so on whilst I start my business.

NAPIT or NICEIC, not sure which is better bet...

I plan to get Building control to sign off my work whilst I am not a "registered competent person" or a "Third party Certification body".. Which is my next question, I think I should start a new thread for that right?

NAPIT or NICEIC, not sure which is better bet...

I plan to get Building control to sign off my work whilst I am not a "registered competent person" or a "Third party Certification body".. Which is my next question, I think I should start a new thread for that right?

If you are planning on registering, I would say you are better of doing it sooner rather than later. It can cost you as much as £300 to have building control sign off your work, meaning if you do more than 2 jobs a year it is cheaper to get registered.

don't go that route. a notification using building control will cost you about £300.which will price you out of most work. a full rewire might stand ther cost. do smaller , non-notifiable jobs first. remember that this notification shambles only applies to domestic. read part p of the building regs to see what is notifiable.

Planning Portal - Approved Document P - Electrical safety - Dwellings

agree with andy here. all you need is 2382-15 to join a scam.

If you are planning on registering, I would say you are better of doing it sooner rather than later. It can cost you as much as £300 to have building control sign off your work, meaning if you do more than 2 jobs a year it is cheaper to get registered.

According to NICEIC I have to have been trading as an installation electrician for 12 months... I have not been trading as one for that long as I've been helping out mates etc. and have nothing signed off as my work. Building control is expensive and it seems like a bit of a dance to get a sign off but I am new in my area and don't know many "Third party Certification" body's..

don't go that route. a notification using building control will cost you about £300.which will price you out of most work. a full rewire might stand ther cost. do smaller , non-notifiable jobs first. remember that this notification shambles only applies to domestic. read part p of the building regs to see what is notifiable.

Planning Portal - Approved Document P - Electrical safety - Dwellings

I am quite familiar with the notifiable/not notifiable work, I thought I would never get any of it/enough of it for it to be worthwile.. So what do you 2 guys think about getting someone else to sign off work??

Also, I have spent so much time reading about domestic and the rules, I haven't even delved into the Commercial business yet.. Are the rules different there? From my own knowledge it would just be the 17th edition regs, would I not need to join a competent persons scheme to issue certificates for my installations in commercial premises?

According to NICEIC I have to have been trading as an installation electrician for 12 months... I have not been trading as one for that long as I've been helping out mates etc. and have nothing signed off as my work. Building control is expensive and it seems like a bit of a dance to get a sign off but I am new in my area and don't know many "Third party Certification" body's..
Yes they say that on their website, but I am not sure they enforce it as I know a number of people registered without the 12 month trading

So I enquired with NAPIT last night and they called me today...

With;
Part P
17th Edition regs
Level 3 EAL Diploma in Electrotechnical services
and a promise to complete 2394&5 within 3 months

They are willing to accept me on the Competent persons register (subject to assessment) for domestic, commercial and industrial.. Seems it's not as difficult as I first thought..

For what it's worth, can i throw in my tuppence worth! Been electrical contracting for 20 odd years, DI for approx 6 years, notified approx 50 jobs last year. Basically every new circuit i pull in or any work in a "Special location" requires notification. After having my tools (and tester!) nicked a couple of weeks ago, mechanical van problems, oh and my scam provider taking their 480 out of my bank this morning i'm thinking about turning my hand to bricklaying!
Sorry to drift a bit off topic, best of luck to you mate!

Reply to What work can I do / Advice on next steps in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net