Discuss What would you code this as. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

If the SWA gets damaged, ie L-E or L-N fault, I should imagine the current will be a lot more than 80A, possibly nearer 800A (irrespective of whatever mcb’s/circuits are connected downstream), resulting in a fried cable and an expensive replacement for the sake of proper over current protection.

Im not saying these faults don't happen i'm asking about OP claiming the client was 'lucky' because the cable 'could pull 80a' because there's an 80a main fuse. I'm just talking about the installation as it is now not under a situation where it may develop a fault.

Isn't it only the equipment the other end that can pull 80a, which would never happen since it's lighting and sockets protected by 6 and 16 amp MCB's?
There is always the possibility of one of the downstream devices failing to trip - contacts weld together or the mechanism itself fails, upstream protection will limit the extent of an overload in these circumstances; nevertheless I would tend to agree, overload protection is probably not necessary on the swa, however fault protection still is, and as it's the same device its omission raises a c2.

The semantics aside the customer was lucky - especially given the numerous glaring issues that exist in merely this one photo.

Is it just me or has this thread just revealed a tragic lack of understanding between fault protection and overload protection? This is basic stuff ladies and gents.

I sometimes wish I'd gone into teaching!

My wife told me last night i might have made a good teacher....i had to disagree.

I hate high school kids... except my own. Hated them when i was one, hate them now.
I just don't have the patience when some little ---- is talking over me.

Steady money I would have thought, my ex-wife worked as a lecturer at a college in Luton she was on good money.
It wasn't for me, I pretty much gave up after dealing with one student, he was useless at anything technical - but was in an onc technical stream.

One day I stepped in to a practical class as the lecturer was ill, I shown them how to do some simple conduit stuff, then checked up on their progress, this same "muppet" had understood perfectly, was pretty much as good as anyone well versed at it, and later on I noted his wiring, and understanding was spot on, I asked him why he was on the technical side when his craft stuff was great, and he clearly enjoyed it - just a "don't know shrug".

I asked the department head why he was put in the technical stream for which he was totally unsuitable, rather than craft which suited him completely and had spaces.

Answer "we need the numbers for the technical course"

I got a job elsewhere and moved on!

The college didn't want me to leave, as it was working out as far as students and they were concerned, but I had no appetite after that.

Is it just me or has this thread just revealed a tragic lack of understanding between fault protection and overload protection? This is basic stuff ladies and gents.
I'm 8 weeks into an apprenticeship and haven't covered it at college yet. Thought MCB's were for overload protection (whatever causes the overload) and no protection to people being shocked because it says it on several sites i've read, and that RCD's were solely to protect people and not equipment.

I'm 8 weeks into an apprenticeship and haven't covered it at college yet. Thought MCB's were for overload protection (whatever causes the overload) and no protection to people being shocked because it says it on several sites i've read, and that RCD's were solely to protect people and not equipment.
true, but a MCB downstream of the cable(SWA in your case) cannot protect the SWA if it were to short out for any reason. the MCB can only protect cable downstream of itself.

true, but a MCB downstream of the cable(SWA in your case) cannot protect the SWA if it were to short out for any reason. the MCB can only protect cable downstream of itself.
I know that, my question was based on the OP claiming that the cable could potentially pull 80a. I was asking how can it when the only thing actually pulling any amps (in the absence of a fault) has an MCB that won't let it pull anywhere near enough to create a dangerous situation?

It's a case of crossed wires in this thread but too difficult to iron out over text so best to leave it there.

I know that, my question was based on the OP claiming that the cable could potentially pull 80a. I was asking how can it when the only thing actually pulling any amps (in the absence of a fault) has an MCB that won't let it pull anywhere near enough to create a dangerous situation?

It's a case of crossed wires in this thread but too difficult to iron out over text so best to leave it there.
just imagine a kitchen fitter screwing into the SWA before the MCB. it should be OKas he'll wrap some tape round it. ??

just imagine a kitchen fitter screwing into the SWA before the MCB. it should be OKas he'll wrap some tape round it. ??
I know that i was literally just asking about the OP's assertion that the cable could pull more than it's rated for which in the absence of a fault i didn't think it was actually possible at all because of the MCB protecting whatever is drawing amperage through it.

My question was always from the point of view of there being no fault as i assumed from his wording that OP was concerned that the cable could pull 80a because the main fuse was 80a which to me seems like an irrelevance - in the absence of a fault it doesn't seem like that matters because 80a can only be pulled by whatever is in the shed which is MCB protected at 16a so it would never happen.

Not made myself very clear in what i mean but hey ho.

Reply to What would you code this as. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net