Discuss What would you suggest? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys, got a job that tested out lovely so that's good, my issue is the Cu has been moved previously, the tails (25mm) are in the wall less than 50mm (from incoming to cu) with no rcd protection, I suggested downgrading 100a main fuse to 60a, and running a 16mm swa along the same route, customer has an immaculate house and doesnt want the mess/chasing etc (I know!) was thinking about putting an rcd next to the head but not overly keen on this, if it goes there's no power to house, what do you reckon, all answer greatly appreciated, cheers

if the tails were installed prior to 17th Ed., they did not require RCD protection. just note it on your cert.

While it may be true that if you did not install the tails you would not be required to do anything about it, and that if it were compliant with another edition etc. However if you are modifying the circuit by replacing the CU then you would need to address any non compliant points in the system imho.

While it may be true that if you did not install the tails you would not be required to do anything about it, and that if it were compliant with another edition etc. However if you are modifying the circuit by replacing the CU then you would need to address any non compliant points in the system imho.
For a replacement CU then I'd agree, an issue such as this should be picked up on a pre-work survey, and either rectify or not carry out the CU change if the client declines. If the work carried out does not involve the tails then I stand by my previous post.

Reply to What would you suggest? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi all, Customer has an extension and this compromises existing meter position, DNO is extending incomer and putting meter box on a different...
Replies
Views
Hello again, Was looking at installing yet another dedicated consumer box for my EV charger off the henley blocks and i noticed that a meter...
Replies
Views
Have an existing old client with what's best described as a sprawling small-holding of a property. There's an armoured external supply which...
Replies
Views
Just wanted to know which people use. My case. Client converting attached garage into new rooms. Consumer Unit has to move to accomodate this...
Replies
Views
Hello All, new to the forum. Would be grateful for advice on whether the following proposal is an acceptable solution or open to any suggestions...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock