Discuss What's the answer to this problem? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I don't know what you lot are banging on about, there is already legislation in place to ensure electrical installation work (England & Wales) is carried out in a domestic property, and make sure that the work is designed and installed to protect people from fire and electric shocks,............Part P. Failure to comply, can result in an unlimited fine at Magistrates Court.

Its ultimately the home owners responsibility to ensure the Building Regs are complied with. Granted the policing of this particular building regulation, seems to be an unmitigated failure.

Someone mentioned an 'MOT test' for a domestic property; look at the procedures in place for policing vehicle MOT's, and can't see that as a starter (excuse the pun).

Part P is irrelevant.

Making changes in domestic properties should meet the design, installation, testing and certification as laid down in BS 7671

These folls don't even make sure their so called competent members do this.
Deleted to contraversial, Not you Murdoch

Yes the legislation is there, but not used. When did you last see some one in court for an illegal wiring installation? System is too easy to work round.

On watch dog last night they were claiming that the people who fit the smart meters were doing checks and identifying dangerous situations ,i think all they do is plug in a socket tester, maybe if you don't have a current eicr or eic you have to have an eicr before the smart meter is fitted.
My procedure is to test for correct polarity at the cut out,meter and CU then a socket test for the same and earth presence. A visual check is also carried out and cut out/ meter tails upgraded to 25mm as required. An isolator (this becomes the boundary point between Mocopa and BS7671) is fitted where the meter to CU tails are for example considered underrated or VIR.
The customer is then issued with a warning notice listing the defects and recommending that a qualified electrician is sought to rectify the defects present.

My procedure is to test for correct polarity at the cut out,meter and CU then a socket test for the same and earth presence. A visual check is also carried out and cut out/ meter tails upgraded to 25mm as required. An isolator (this becomes the boundary point between Mocopa and BS7671) is fitted where the meter to CU tails are for example considered underrated or VIR.
The customer is then issued with a warning notice listing the defects and recommending that a qualified electrician is sought to rectify the defects present.
Would have thought a Polarity test at the CU on the tails, and then an EICR would be all that is required to prove polarity.

Deleted double post

Do you only not go into the cut out, but yboun test on the incoming side? Not your place to do any of this. Changing meter and cut out tails? Bloody hell, who do you think you are!

I don't know what you lot are banging on about, there is already legislation in place to ensure electrical installation work (England & Wales) is carried out in a domestic property, and make sure that the work is designed and installed to protect people from fire and electric shocks,............Part P. Failure to comply, can result in an unlimited fine at Magistrates Court.

Its ultimately the home owners responsibility to ensure the Building Regs are complied with. Granted the policing of this particular building regulation, seems to be an unmitigated failure.

Someone mentioned an 'MOT test' for a domestic property; look at the procedures in place for policing vehicle MOT's, and can't see that as a starter (excuse the pun).
Though there is no such scheme in Scotland and as much as I know which to be honest is not much about part p is it does not reach far enough

That good at least somthing being done ,do you not check the terminals in the consumer unit (if its next to the cut out) to see if they have worked loose durring the meter replacement ?

What is the answer to this problem?

I dunno, really...this works for me...
WP_20180506_22_24_14_Pro[1].jpg

Reply to What's the answer to this problem? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net