Discuss What's the minimum I need to do electrical work in my own house? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

DNS1

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Said it before, but I'll say it again anyway, I'm currently doing a load of studying before I enroll on a course with Able Skills in Dartford. Going to do their introductory course and then the EAL VRQ Level 2, 2382 etc.

As much as I'd like to use this as a way into the industry, people on here have suggested that it might not happen for various reasons. Obviously I don't want to waste my cash, so thinking that the worst case scenario is that I'll end up qualified to do work in my own home and won't have to pay someone next time I need something doing.

Is this a realistic way of looking at things?

personally in my own home i would do what the hell i wanted, but then again im fully qualified and part p registered.

youre looking at it the wrong way, if you want to trade as a spark get the training otherwise just pay someone to do it for you, or do it yourself the worst that can happen is you may burn your house down :)

A whole rewire of your house would most likely be half the cost of one of these courses, and then you would need calibrated test gear which could be another 500 pounds.

Realistically no I can't see how you can justify doing a course just so that you can work on your own home.

Realistically no I can't see how you can justify doing a course just so that you can work on your own home.

Not like that mate, I want to do the course, get some experience and get work as a domestic installer. Just wondering what the worst case senario is (ie: I get the qualifications, but can't get the work and end up staying in my current job)

I wouldn't bother with that training centre either to be honest!

Any lecturer that tells you to take a live Zs from a set of dangling connector blocks, doesn't get repeat business in my books.

Reply to What's the minimum I need to do electrical work in my own house? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net