Discuss Where are the TN-S generators? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I would expect the generator frame is already connected to the earth terminal of its socket.

N to E link could be made in the plug that is going to be inserted into the generator.

I would expect the generator frame is already connected to the earth terminal of its socket.

N to E link could be made in the plug that is going to be inserted into the generator.
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering that myself but thought this would not be considered as being centre tapped "at source".
Although with regards to the installation it would be supplying then it would still be considered as being an external PEN conductor, so I'm happy with that.
Things are becoming much clearer now. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering that myself but thought this would not be considered as being centre tapped "at source".
Although with regards to the installation it would be supplying then it would still be considered as being an external PEN conductor, so I'm happy with that.
Things are becoming much clearer now. Thanks everyone for the advice.

I thought we'd established you don't want it centre tapped?

There won't be a PEN conductor, you still run seperate L N and E conductors.

It should definitely NOT be centre-tapped (115-0-115V style as they do in the USA) for UK use as the house breakers/fuses are only on the L line and not in N which would be needed if it were well above E!

Yes, understood. Just getting my terminology mixed up again! So my plans are to link the neutral & earth within the plug at the generator, to create the TN-S earthing arrangement, then run separate live, neutral & earth from the plug to the changeover switch.

If it was a 3 phase generator, it would be considered center tapped.
but a single phase, single voltage generator doesn’t have a center to tap!

it is a single winding where both ends are floating unless you tie one end down to earth.

If it was a 3 phase generator, it would be considered center tapped.
but a single phase, single voltage generator doesn’t have a center to tap!

it is a single winding where both ends are floating unless you tie one end down to earth.

A 3 phase generator would be star point tapped rather than centre point tapped as it is not the centre point of a winding but the point where three windings connect together.

Reply to Where are the TN-S generators? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net