Discuss Where are you lot buying consumer units. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If I have time to sort out delivery, then Fusebox - I've also found Expert Electrical good on it.

For SPD installs they are hard to beat.

Stock can sometimes be variable, with one specific RCBO or breaker out of stock... But that seems to be a common theme with many of them of late.

I did discover that my local CEF actually keeps some Fusebox stuff on the shelf, although quite a limited range.

There are some good deals around on Hager too from a local wholesaler to me so I've gone that route when I can justify it.

BG seems to have the least issues of the common boards available from sheds on the spot, which is sometimes the only option - though I hate their enclosure design with massive space wastage to the right of the main switch... Similar space issues with the Schneider Electric boards from sheds.

BG AC RCBOS are also more expensive at Toolstation than I can get Type A Hager for next day from Edwardes , so unless their ready made kits are right it's not cost effective..

I'm waiting for a job to crop up where I can try the new Click ones, though the issue will be whether they are still around in 10 years and easy to get hold of...

I get Lewden and Hager from my local 3Line, never had a problem with either make and stock levels appear to be OK at the minute.

Fusebox or hager for domestic depending on customer. But I tend to only do hager now if its an additional consumer unit to match existing. For commercial/3phase schnider acti9.
I used to like Wylex but got a bit ----ed off when they changed one of the ranges(I cannot remember the name) and its not backwards compatible to the comparible existing range.

us lot buy from them lot wot buys from another lot wot buys from the lot wot makes'em.

Maybe as a forum we should start producing our own CUs - I'm sure that will end well...

What features would you include in the perfect CU?

I'll throw in a Tamper proof lock on the cover that can tell the competence of any person and will send a light tingle through anyone else who has no business touching it....

Might come as a stupid question - but how can places still sell 17th edition consumer units when I thought the latest is 18th edition and it's illegal to install anything less than current regs / specs.

Maybe as a forum we should start producing our own CUs - I'm sure that will end well...

What features would you include in the perfect CU?

I'll throw in a Tamper proof lock on the cover that can tell the competence of any person and will send a light tingle through anyone else who has no business touching it....

The hardest sale is not to the electrician but to the end user.

I suspect many end users have no clue on what brand or quality is best.

Would it be fair to suggest a 'weak brand' CU installed by a competent electrician is better than a @top brand@ CU thrown in?

Might come as a stupid question - but how can places still sell 17th edition consumer units when I thought the latest is 18th edition and it's illegal to install anything less than current regs / specs.
There is no such thing as 17th or 18th Ed consumer units this is a ploy by wholesalers and some manufacturers just like 18th Ed testers. Consumer units are produced taking into account current Regulations hence they get this moniker.

I agree with @westward10 that the whole "18th board" stuff is simply marketing crap. You might think that it means it comes with a SPD as standard since that is one of the new aspects not really seen in the previous editions, but nope - they don't always.

I agree with @westward10 that the whole "18th board" stuff is simply marketing crap. You might think that it means it comes with a SPD as standard since that is one of the new aspects not really seen in the previous editions, but nope - they don't always.
My test equipment is probably 15th Ed??

Still trying to find a place to buy a quality db.
Ask around your local trade suppliers, but I would avoid the own-brand options as (a) they are often not that good, and (b) you can't get them from other outlets.

Fusebox seems to be the go-to for quality on a budget, and the compact RCBO tick the boxes (a) of being type A so fine with many electronic faults, and (b) double pole so easier to test as both L & N are open for IR test just by tripping them.

Wylex do the same, but a bit more expensive and they don't seem to be very good on long-term compatibility.

Hager are liked at the higher end, as are Schneider, and both of them have a good reputation for long-term support.

Reply to Where are you lot buying consumer units. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net