Discuss where do I stand.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gents, may I just remind that this is a public forum and the current comments hardly do much to reinforce the importance of conformity with Part P, as per the thousands of other threads on here!!

It troubles me that you lot can say 'up yours ! - i'll just do it and not tell anybody' - then why not? If you are competent, work with electrics every day, understand the dangers and risks involved.

Gents, may I just remind that this is a public forum and the current comments hardly do much to reinforce the importance of conformity with Part P, as per the thousands of other threads on here!!

All part P has done really, is ensure that BS7671 enters law, as it becomes a statuory document under part P. Therefore if i was to rewire my house, i have abided by Part P as i am an experienced electrician, with the knowledge, experience and test equipment to do a good job, and inspect test and certify it.
Thebit i dont agree with, is the paying for somebody else to inspect my work, when im more than capable of doing it myself, in in any event, they probably wouldnt send anybody anyway.

PS, if my house were to burn down, then my insurance wuld still cover me, as i could prove that my installation was safe, with my elecirtcal installation cerificates, and test results.

A DIYer could not prove this.

I'm not for one moment suggesting that none of us isn't competent to work in our own properties, irrespective of our part p registration status, just simply that a thread like this which reads very much like 'one rule for one, another for others' sends a confusing message out to the general public.

PS, if my house were to burn down, then my insurance wuld still cover me, as i could prove that my installation was safe, with my elecirtcal installation cerificates, and test results.

I guess that depends on you having fire retardant paper that you print your certs on!!

All part P has done really, is ensure that BS7671 enters law, as it becomes a statuory document under part P. Therefore if i was to rewire my house, i have abided by Part P as i am an experienced electrician, with the knowledge, experience and test equipment to do a good job, and inspect test and certify it.
Thebit i dont agree with, is the paying for somebody else to inspect my work, when im more than capable of doing it myself, in in any event, they probably wouldnt send anybody anyway.

I am almost sure that an installation can also comply with any other EEC countries standards. So I may do mine to comply with the Portuguese standards.:lol:

Just to add confusion to chaos ..... An electrician of 40 years electrocuted a choir boy by wiring up some church choir stall lamps wrongly.

I somehow couldn't say that he was incompetent as an electrician but his work was on that occasion.

So, perhaps, you are only as good as your last job,which means you need to stay up to date and on the ball with your work and forget about what other people do !
One way of maintaining a high standard is by continual assessment which is what one would hope was taking place by being part of an authorizing body.

The only reason that these ridiculous bits of legislation takes root is because we allow it to happen.

The Italians have no such problems - if they don't like or agree with something they simply ignore it.

Part P is a nonsense, here in Northern Ireland it doesn't even exist. Pretty sure Scotland is the same. Governments need to get the finger out and sort it all out, slender chance of that though.

Do the job right and tell no one, who is ever going to know better? It's not justifying being a cowboy, a cowboy is what you may get if you had to get a Part P spark in. Why throw your hard earned cash to the LABC?

if i were you, i would just carry out the work, and then wait for somebody to try and take you to court, at which point you will baffle the judge with electrical principles, and common sense will prevail.
PS, i doubt anybody would be taken to court, even if the council found out.

To be honest, this is a massive failing with part P. Even if you did pay the council, they would ask for a copy of your certs, and that would be it. so there wouldnt be any difference anyway.

So those of us all paying near 500 quid a year to be part-p registered may just as well not pay for part-p anymore and do as above then?

all is well until you come to sell up and move on.
my brother is in the process of buying a new place and the current owner has had a few bits done that havent been notified which has earned him a price reduction

So those of us all paying near 500 quid a year to be part-p registered may just as well not pay for part-p anymore and do as above then?

does part p make you any superior to anyone else no it was a big con that ended up costing a lot of decent electricians lots of work

put the shoe on the other foot would you pay someone to do a job you can quite happily do?

It doesn't make them superior, it just shows that they are qualified to carry out the works to the required standard.
There are a lot of electricians who use the excuse that they cannot be bothered to become part p registered when in fact the reason is they are not of the required standard.

I wouldn't be ome part p registered as it has no benefit to me theres nothing in the environment I go to work in every day that would ever give me the need to be part p registered!

I wouldn't be ome part p registered as it has no benefit to me theres nothing in the environment I go to work in every day that would ever give me the need to be part p registered!

Hmmm.....can you not agree that there is a contradiction in that statement with things specifically domestic, that have special part p requirements - bathrooms, kitchens etc etc? So you claim to know enough enough about everything else (no problem with that at all) but also cannot demonstrate through either 'experience', training or assessment that you know about domestic special locations.

I'm not trying to have a go, and am sure that yes you ARE perfectly experienced/knowledgeable/capable, just reinforcing my earlier comments that this just adds mud to the water and is currently confusing to Mrs Jones who is looking at a quote for £500 from a proper sparks to do a Part P notifiable job, that her nephew says he'll do for a cup of tea and £50 for the bits, CURRENTLY READING THIS FORUM!

Hmmm.....can you not agree that there is a contradiction in that statement with things specifically domestic, that have special part p requirements - bathrooms, kitchens etc etc? So you claim to know enough enough about everything else (no problem with that at all) but also cannot demonstrate through either 'experience', training or assessment that you know about domestic special locations.

I'm not trying to have a go, and am sure that yes you ARE perfectly experienced/knowledgeable/capable, just reinforcing my earlier comments that this just adds mud to the water and is currently confusing to Mrs Jones who is looking at a quote for £500 from a proper sparks to do a Part P notifiable job, that her nephew says he'll do for a cup of tea and £50 for the bits, CURRENTLY READING THIS FORUM!

No I really can't, Bathrooms kitchens Etc etc were all deemed as special locations before part P was forced upon us and if we wasn't sure all we had to do was look in the bible! nothing has changed as much as all those that jumped on the part P band wagon thinks it have. The regs have never been a statutory document but if you abided by them you fulfilled the requirements set out in the EAWR1989 the Laws were already there to protect person, property and livestock if anyone thinks differently more fool them! I will happily say like many other episodes foxed upon our industry part P is just another money making episode that actually robbed qualified electricians of work!

Just to add confusion to chaos ..... An electrician of 40 years electrocuted a choir boy by wiring up some church choir stall lamps wrongly.

I somehow couldn't say that he was incompetent as an electrician but his work was on that occasion.

So, perhaps, you are only as good as your last job,which means you need to stay up to date and on the ball with your work and forget about what other people do !
One way of maintaining a high standard is by continual assessment which is what one would hope was taking place by being part of an authorizing body.

he would not have had to be part p registered anyway, as i would not think that a church is Domestic

No I really can't, Bathrooms kitchens Etc etc were all deemed as special locations before part P was forced upon us and if we wasn't sure all we had to do was look in the bible! nothing has changed as much as all those that jumped on the part P band wagon thinks it have. The regs have never been a statutory document but if you abided by them you fulfilled the requirements set out in the EAWR1989 the Laws were already there to protect person, property and livestock if anyone thinks differently more fool them! I will happily say like many other episodes foxed upon our industry part P is just another money making episode that actually robbed qualified electricians of work!

Just out of interest, which bit of BS7671 covers kitchens?

he would not have had to be part p registered anyway, as i would not think that a church is Domestic

It could have been any domestic example. I used it because I had to give some advice to a solicitor regarding the matter.

Another example is where I hired a sparks I knew to install a cooker and a few other bits in the kitchen for me while I was out doing another job. When I got back my, now ex. said she was experiencing shocks off of the saucepan. I told her it was in her imagination and suggested that she try it again. Mistake ! :)
At that point I decided to check the wiring and found he had neglected to connect the cpc - that was the last job he did for me !

Before you lot get excited, these two events happened over 20 years ago.

So then its about personal professional competence, not being a member of a club unless it has some form of regulatory control over its members.

I do agree that clubs that hoick up the costs of membership, do not perform their function of monitoring and support so that they can appear to be attractive lobbyists benefits nobody but leads to resentment and breakdown.

Approved Document P of the Building Regulations, IMO, fills the loop hole created by domestic installations. where anybody could previously do electrics. It was and is, in the whole, not the same for industrial installations.

It will take time to swing into operation but I suspect when venders realize that between £5k - £20k could be knocked off the price of a house sale because there was no evidence of regulation 134.1.1 then there will be to begin with a lot of dodgy certificates doing the rounds but then will settle down to an acceptable procedure, just like Gas working is now.

Reply to where do I stand.... in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net