Discuss Which downlights? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markquinton

Hi all

I've done a fair bit of research on downlights and i'm still a little condfused and wondered if you could help.

I am converting my garage (approx 2.5 x 4.1m) into a kitchen at the moment and i would like downlights to provide my main lighting (also having led undercupboard and plinth lights).

I was originally going to use gu10 50w halogens with the view to upgrading the bulbs to led or CFL in the future but I am wondering if part L of the building regulations will mean I cannot do this. Therefore which low energy downlights should I go for to achieve similar light levels?

Are the CFL 11w downlights any good? Thing is I want them to be controlled by a dimmer switch and i've read reports of them not working on a dimmer even when they say they should.

LED's would be a good option but not sure they generate enough light for a kitchen and are expensive.

Any advice and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

I assume you've got building control involved, in which case yes Part L is a problem.

The GU10 CFLs have had bad reports re reliability.

LEDs are probably the way to go, but to get a good amount of light and dimming ability you'll be looking at a few hundred quid. Always look for LED lights that give a lumens output figure. You need them to produce at least 45 lumens for every watt they consume to comply with Part L. This is also the best way avoid the many bad LED lights out there. You probably want 2000 to 3000 lumens total for a kitchen using downlights.

Small CFLs in a confined space are not a good idea. For example 7W (30W Equiv) Dimmable CFL GU10 Spotlight - Warm White 3000K / 830 seems OK, but it only gives 20L/W so will not comply with part L. I'm also very sceptical about the 0-100% smooth dimming claim, and it probably won't last long.

A fluorescent with the ballast in the light fitting, rather than the lamp is better. Search for "PL downlights". These are not exactly cheap, but they do give a descent amount of light.

i bought 6 3watt LED lamps ( GU10 fit ) for kitchen at home. kitchen is 15ft x 7 ft. quite adequate, but a very cool light. they do come in warm white as well. ÂŁ8+vat each.

If you want a good spread of light, downlights aren't generally suitable. They tend to be pretty directional, especially the Halogen or LED types. The CFL ones you linked to should give a fair spread, but I don't think that they're dimmable.

Just spoke to a contact from work who owns an electrical contracting company and he said he would steer clear of CFL's if I want to dim them. He has said they he has fitted Aurora 8w LED downlights for a kitchen with good results.

He said he can get me them at a good price of ÂŁ29 inc bulb and fitment.

Is this good? Are they a good light?

Thanks

Mark

Aurora's stuff looks good from what I've seen, but is usually around ÂŁ50 for an LED downlight. ÂŁ29 sounds a good price.

Reply to Which downlights? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net