Discuss WHY EDF saying no go to meter change ! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
One for you guys...i been on commercial property, 3 shop fronts opened out into one estate agent..No10, 11, 12.....Now 10, 11 have incoming supply from edf and 12 has its own supply from edf..
10 and 11 used to have flats above but now offices.. No. 12 still has falts above and at side... With me so far?

Now the owner of property needs get No 12 meter changed to a bill, as its on a key...The meter and supply is in one of the flats next door to No12 office. up till now the No 12 office has been fed from this key meter supply...hence the need to change because of leasing office to estate agent. Office 12 has its own CU fed from a iso next door in flats next to supply head.

Now here's the bit, spoke to building control and said that property doesnt come under Part P unless i touch anything in flats which effects flats, which we have not..

The EDF guy was to say least apparently unhelpful. but he refused to fit supply until my client delt with a few issues he thinks no good...

Now we have some display shop window lights on contact and timer fed from the supply in No10, 11 office, but the lights run into the office 12.. He said he wont do meter because the lights are not allowed to be in that office if on another supply other than one he working on. (that is No12 meter change in flats)....??????? IS this the case i cant find anything out to say he right...i not doubting yet BUT where in regs? is it to do with isolation...

Also he wants new isolator for the feed to office No. 12 CU (60amp) with higher rating than 40 amp , with new tails installed to his meter position. fair enough we thought, as this is some old instal not by us....although he said having a 60amp RCD delay there was no good because didnt provide overcurrent protection..

And he said when he returns he wants the sparks who carries out the work to be present by his side when he does it....? what is that about?

so maybe im being naive but please i know i longone buy any thoughts?

Wow, that's a long one indeed.

Lots to talk about but I imagine EDF's concern is the way the old and new property uses/splits don't align with the meters... worst case is that the different phases are mixed as the single estate agent front, and inadvertently you're looking at 3-phase 400v in the property without anyone knowing.

thanks for reply , but we talking two totally seperate supplys. in one end of property the 2 shop fronts and offices are on one supply. single phase. with 2 CU's feeding whole lot...i installed them.......
Other end of property you have 1 office with own CU feeding 9 D/S and some flurorecents. This CU is fed from another single phase supply in the flats at side.
its this office i have 4 spot lights in being fed from the other side where 2 boards are..... thats what edf have problem with...my 4 lights from other other board. like a 1.5mm t&e cable no more than 4m's with total load of 200watts.....i though just some labelling to note that they are to be isolated from different Dist board would do.

What Noddy is alluding to is that in the street there will be three phases. Possibly Nos. 10 & 11 are supplied with one of those phases, and No 12 from another phase, giving the possibility of 400V potential difference between the phases in the one property (No 12).

Still the spots have not been wired yet..the cable is ready to go into No12 but can easy pull back....the funny thing is its open plan virtually. no doors between no.11 and 12... thanks guys hadnt even considered that and quite a serious point really should of known

Am not very familiar with all the different building regs, but I should imagine that there is something in one or more of them that has been disregarded or ignored when the three units were opened out into one big open-plan unit. And that something would exist to cover just this sort of eventuality (mixed phases). This is what happens when non-professionals, or inadequately trained professionals are employed to do the building work. In this case it's a really good job that the man at EDF is on the ball.

Am not very familiar with all the different building regs, but I should imagine that there is something in one or more of them that has been disregarded or ignored when the three units were opened out into one big open-plan unit. And that something would exist to cover just this sort of eventuality (mixed phases). This is what happens when non-professionals, or inadequately trained professionals are employed to do the building work. In this case it's a really good job that the man at EDF is on the ball.

Yes exactly.. the building work seems to not fit the pic if you get me and i am limited to building regs...had mentioned, i mean i had to tell the guy he needs EM fittings throughout as well... EDF man....Yes it is really good job he on the ball (not that he has confirmed that mind you but cant see being anything else). BUT why couldnt he be pleasent instead of Mr moody...ok its serious stuff but the moody bit not needed. still i werent there to recieve it.. Thanks.....and i need to get on ball by looks of it. only thing i can do in my defense is say i was going to label clearly at board and id everything..thats no good though when someones holding onto 400v..

Just a thought, but is there enough capacity in the supply to No 10 and 11 to add No 12 to it? That way they are all on the same phase and unless it is a problem for the flat to be on a Key meter, then no need for a meter change.

Reply to WHY EDF saying no go to meter change ! in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net