Discuss Wire run for generator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

txdave

DIY
Reaction score
I am installing a 10K backup generator to run on natural gas. Gas source and electrical box are at opposite ends of the house. I plan to place the generator at the gas source and trench for underground wire to the box.
Run will be approx. 125 ft. and generator will be connected to a 50 amp breaker with a interlock.
Please advise your recommendations for the following:
1) Wire size & type (Underground cable or individual wires in a conduit)
2) Should I run 3 wires or 4 wires.
3) Is there a depth requirement?

Thank you

I am installing a 10K backup generator to run on natural gas. Gas source and electrical box are at opposite ends of the house. I plan to place the generator at the gas source and trench for underground wire to the box.
Run will be approx. 125 ft. and generator will be connected to a 50 amp breaker with a interlock.
Please advise your recommendations for the following:
1) Wire size & type (Underground cable or individual wires in a conduit)
2) Should I run 3 wires or 4 wires.
3) Is there a depth requirement?

Thank you
First I hope you are not going to be doing the plumbing on the gas line which if you do it needs to be done in black schedule 80 pipe. Question number 1 use # 6/3 with a ground romex UF cable, it is approved for direct burial. It has to be 4 wires, and the requirements are minimum of 24 inches deep. Good luck

Reply to Wire run for generator in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I’m planning to run an electrical sub-panel to my detached garage (about 150’ away) and run it off my 200 amp home panel. I live out in the...
Replies
Views
I’m planning a 240V welder circuit in a detached garage with a 100A sub panel. For the 160A or 180A output welders I’m looking at, the conductor...
Replies
Views
Im planning on setting up and interlock generator hookup up. My portable generator is 30 amps. I ran 25 ft of 10/2 wire from my panel to the...
Replies
Views
I want to use a manual change over switch to safely connect a 21kVA single phase tractor PTO powered generator to my mains supply in case of...
Replies
Views
wiring a 480 volt 3 phase 114 amp generator to run 2 machines. Both machine nameplate 480 v 3 phase 50 FLA. What size wire and over current...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock